Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 06:32 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,167,724 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone
Happy Wednesday

It is a cloudy morning here in NE FL heading to gasp 88 degrees
The weather folks are promising that we should be getting cooler weather by next week lol yeah we will see

Ok so lets get a start on "hump day" with

Today's Question(s):
In honor of Statue of Liberty Day

How many of our QOTD family have been to see the Statue or Liberty ?

Bonus Question:

Is there one thing or area around your home you are constantly cleaning fingerprints off of ?

Extra Credit Question:

What is the first "switch" you turn on in the morning ?
Coffee maker
Computer
Light

Just for Fun:

What is the "wildest food" you have ever eaten ?

Today in History:
1636 - The Massachusetts General Court provided 400 pounds to support a school or college, and so, Harvard University was founded in Cambridge, MA.
1886 - Statue of Liberty dedicated by President Grover Cleveland
1904 - Fingerprinting was first used by the St. Louis Police Department.
1922 - 1st coast-to-coast radio broadcast of a football game
1961 - Brian Epstein, a record store owner in London, was asked by a customer for a copy of the record, "My Bonnie", by a group known as The Silver Beatles. He didn’t have it in stock so he went to the Cavern Club to check out the group. He signed to manage them in a matter of days and renamed them The Beatles.
2008 - Rance & Sweden became husband & wife

Word of the Day:

conflate \kuhn-FLAYT\ , transitive verb;
1. To bring together; to fuse together; to join or meld.
2. To combine (as two readings of a text) into one whole.

Today is:
Wild Foods Day
Statue of Liberty Day
Fingerprint Day
Internet Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 06:33 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,805,032 times
Today's Question(s):

How many of our QOTD family have been to see the Statue or Liberty ? No

Bonus Question:

Is there one thing or area around your home you are constantly cleaning fingerprints off of ? Nope

Extra Credit Question:

Coffee maker -
I don't mess with wife's toy.
Computer - It's never turned off.
Light

Just for Fun:

What is the "wildest food" you have ever eaten ? 911 hot wings at Hooters.

Today in History:
1636 - The Massachusetts General Court provided 400 pounds to support a school or college, and so, Harvard University was founded in Cambridge, MA.
1961 - Brian Epstein, a record store owner in London, was asked by a customer for a copy of the record, "My Bonnie", by a group known as The Silver Beatles. He didn’t have it in stock so he went to the Cavern Club to check out the group. He signed to manage them in a matter of days and renamed them The Beatles.
2008 - Rance & Sweden became husband & wife - Happy anniversary.

Word of the Day:

Today is:
Wild Foods Day - Yea, hot and spicy.
Statue of Liberty Day - Maybe one day I'll get there.
Fingerprint Day - I have 'em.
Internet Day - My travel club.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:33 AM

18,968 posts, read 11,629,152 times
Good morning

How many of our QOTD family have been to see the Statue or Liberty ? I have!
Is there one thing or area around your home you are constantly cleaning fingerprints off of ? Cleaning?

Coffee maker
Computer
Light

What is the "wildest food" you have ever eaten ? My sister had a wild dessert that I think about with longing...it was a chocolate oven. The dessert was an oven made of chocolate and it had two little pots on the stove - one with caramel sauce and one with a berry sauce. Then there was a working oven door or two with something else tasty in there. The entire thing was edible. Pretty wild!

Today in History:
1636 - The Massachusetts General Court provided 400 pounds to support a school or college, and so, Harvard University was founded in Cambridge, MA. Been there...didn't GO there....but, been there
1904 - Fingerprinting was first used by the St. Louis Police Department. I've been fingerprinted! For work...not a felony
2008 - Rance & Sweden became husband & wife Congratulations!

Last edited by toosie; 10-28-2009 at 06:43 AM..

Old 10-28-2009, 06:38 AM

1,477 posts, read 2,202,224 times
Happy Hump Day

Today's Question(s):

How many of our QOTD family have been to see the Statue or Liberty ? Many times - or at least have seen it from a distance many times. I think I've only visited once.

Bonus Question:

Is there one thing or area around your home you are constantly cleaning fingerprints off of ? Not really

Extra Credit Question:

What is the first "switch" you turn on in the morning ? Bathroom light

Just for Fun:

What is the "wildest food" you have ever eaten ? I'm not certain. But, I do recall going to a really nice Chinese restaurant in nyc, and I remember testing out a few things with some friends. Although I can't recall what I ate, I'm sure it still classifies as the wildest thing that I've eaten.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:42 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,042,597 times
Today's Question(s):

How many of our QOTD family have been to see the Statue or Liberty ? Yes - everyone should try to see it at least once in their life

Bonus Question:

Is there one thing or area around your home you are constantly cleaning fingerprints off of ? Reading glasses

Extra Credit Question:

Coffee maker
Computer This is #2
Light This is #1

Just for Fun:

What is the "wildest food" you have ever eaten ? Lutefisk - I was very young and judging by the smell, I wouldn't eat it. I was told that everyone in the family must at least try it because it was a "tradition". They were real sorry they made me eat it - barely made it to the bathroom.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:44 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,352,933 times
Today's Question(s):

How many of our QOTD family have been to see the Statue or Liberty?

I have, several times. It's an amazing place, and so is Ellis Island.

Bonus Question:

Is there one thing or area around your home you are constantly cleaning fingerprints off of?

No, I can't say that there is. I'm just not that much of a Suzy Homemaker to worry about fingerprints. Our home is lived in, and looks it!

Extra Credit Question:

Coffee maker
Computer
Light

First is the bathroom light, second is the bedroom light, third is the kitchen light. After that, it's the coffeemaker, the radio and the stove. Once breakfast is done, if I have time before leaving for work, then it's the computer.

Just for Fun:

What is the "wildest food" you have ever eaten?

Wild food, eh? Wild as in wild game, or wild as in unusual? We're not a hunting family, so game meats are not generally featured in our meals, but we are pretty adventuresome when it comes to unusual food. I've eaten menudo (a heavily chili-flavored soup made of cow intestines), beef Tartare (raw beef with raw egg, raw chopped up onion and various spices), pig brain soup (posted that story here a few months back), "sweetbreads" (grilled cow pancreas), stir-fried octopus, and many varieties of sushi. Mealtimes at our house are always interesting and unusual; a friend of our daughter's lived with us for a while between apartments, and after about the first month commented, "You know, I've lived here for over four weeks, and you haven't served the same thing for dinner twice in that entire time!"

Old 10-28-2009, 06:49 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,167,724 times
Today's Question(s):

Went back in the late 80's when we were hosting some exchange students from France. This is when I realized I don't do well on spiral staircases

Back in my wild days of the 80's many times I would experience the sun rising behind the Statue while heading home from a night of dancing & clubbing in the city

Bonus Question:

Is there one thing or area around your home you are constantly cleaning fingerprints off of ?

Not really fingerprints but I am constantly cleaning doggie nose prints from the sliding doors that go form the kitchen to the patio

oh wait almost forgot fingerprints from the S/S appliances in the kitchen

Extra Credit Question:

Computer
hubby gets up before I do so any necessary lights he turns on
though some mornings he has been known to turn my computer on when he hears me get up

Just for Fun:

Musk ox while visiting rance & sweden in Alaska
as you know this was a real eating adventure for this "selective eater" lol
for the next year every time someone suggested I try a new food I would say " I tried musk ox so I am covered on the new food thing"

Old 10-28-2009, 06:49 AM

18,258 posts, read 25,943,785 times
Good morning! Today's questions;

How many of our QOTD family have been to see the Statue of Liberty? I haven't and have never been to New Yorkm but always wanted to go, at least one time anyway!

Bonus question: Is there one thing or area around your home you are constantly cleaning your fingerprints off of? Probably the only thing would be the glass coffee table.

Extra credit question: What is the first "switch" you turn on on the morning? Bedroom light, then hallway light, then coffeemaker (computer stays on unless I leave town for a couple days.)

Just for fun: What is the "wildest" food you have ever eaten? Probably some Cajun meals I had once in my only trip to Louisiana several years back.

Internet day. Woohoo! wait a sec, that's everyday!

Have a great day everyone!

Old 10-28-2009, 06:51 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,088,981 times
Quote:
It is a cloudy morning here in NE FL heading to gasp 88 degrees
The weather folks are promising that we should be getting cooler weather by next week lol yeah we will see
Denver has 29° F and snow falling; I'm okay with the trade-off.

Today's Question(s):

I have

The front window, but it's not fingerprints, it's dog noseprints.

Coffee maker
Computer
Light

I stumble around using night-lights. The first thing I turn on is the microwave to make aeropress coffee.

I've had both Rocky Mountain Oysters and haggis, but probably those, in terms of outrageous taste, would pale next to lutefisk.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:51 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,692,774 times
Today's Question(s):

I've been 2 times. Once as a kid, when it was taller.

Bonus Question:

Not so much fingerprints as nose prints. Our older son stops by 3 or 4 times a week to see if we need him to do anything for us. He brings Charlie the Chaweenie with him. Charlie will stand at the sliding doors and rub his nose against it. When you go to see if he wants to come in he runs away, wanting you to chase him. You would think by now he would know old people don't run.

Extra Credit Question:

Coffee maker
Computer
Light

Just for Fun:

I had alligator at a restaurant in Wisconsin of all places.

Today in History:
1636 - The Massachusetts General Court provided 400 pounds to support a school or college, and so, Harvard University was founded in Cambridge, MA. 400 pounds of what? Did it start as a culinary school?
2008 - Rance & Sweden became husband & wife

Word of the Day:

Today is:
Wild Foods Day
Statue of Liberty Day
Fingerprint Day
Internet Day[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics