Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 06:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times

Advertisements

People have been saying this since time immemorial. I'd look up the quote from Socrates or Plato (can't remember which one right now), but I'm feeling kind of lazy. I've posted it before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 06:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I really am tired of hearing how awful and ungrateful today's kids are. They are apparently rude, self-absorbed, and egotistical.

Well I completely disagree. I think there are many wonderful caring kids out there, and I think they should be celebrated instead of continually criticized and belittled.

Here is a heartwarming story of one such child.

*warning - you will need a hanky*

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/11/op...=1&ref=opinion
Ever hear the 1% theory? It a old mother adivce;the 1% your mother wanred you about. its gotten too high tot he point that parents are afrsi to expose their children to a large per centage of other kids and socierty i general. Its also why are prison system is over capacity.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:10 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
The teen-agers that I know now - mostly my son and his friends - are FAR more focused on their future than I ever was. I don't know if it's the suburb we live in or the fact that they are dedicated (OCD) about their sport of choice.

They are more self-disciplined and they just plain work harder than I did in high school.

I think perhaps because I didn't have a sport or any 'focus' in high school . . I went a little wild. I still kept good grades but I wasn't really much involved with my school. Mainly I was out doing things I shouldn't!

My son is a swimmer and gets up at 5:00 am every SUMMER MORNING to go to practice. They all do. No WAY would I have done that at age 16. They seem to enjoy it - and will go out for breakfast after, etc. But his day is basically done when mine is just starting.

On the flip side - some of these highly driven kids need to let their hair down and have some fun! I worry that he is missing out on just plain being a silly teen-ager and doing silly teen-age things.

There's still time.

So I think there are a lot of great kids out there today. And I think every generation says the same thing . . 'these kids today . . . "

Old 08-11-2011, 07:13 PM

133 posts, read 183,217 times
This was a great article.

I really don't know any "bad" kids, to be honest. I mean, there is the usual variety of personalities. Same with adults, though....I know plenty of adults I don't care for.

It may be an unpopular opinion, but I love teenagers. They're so full of life, so passionate. They feel the world is theirs to explore. It's great to hear their opinions of the world as they enter it.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:06 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,918,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianIce View Post
This was a great article.

I really don't know any "bad" kids, to be honest. I mean, there is the usual variety of personalities. Same with adults, though....I know plenty of adults I don't care for.

It may be an unpopular opinion, but I love teenagers. They're so full of life, so passionate. They feel the world is theirs to explore. It's great to hear their opinions of the world as they enter it.
I love teenagers also.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:10 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,323,890 times
Well, statistically, teenagers today are better behaved than teenagers were 30-40 years ago. Drug, abortion, pregnancy rates, sexual activity and alcohol usage have fallen among teenagers since then.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:54 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,728,378 times
I don't think there are any more "bad/trouble" kids today than there ever were. With today's media coverage, we just hear more about them. I also agree with posters who have mentioned the irony of each generation saying, "In MY day, kids wouldn't have DARED..........." I've said it myself. LOL That's not true though. In every generation, kids "dared" to do things they were not supposed to do.

I was taking care of a 73 year old man who was one of those guys who was flat out honest about his generation. He said, "Kids are no worse today than they were in MY day. You hear people talking about how many kids these days are substance abusers. Hell, there were just as many substance abusers in MY day. The only difference is that we were abusing different substances. We used to spend a fortune on cough syrups, got booze anywhere we could, got into our mothers' diet pills. There were a whole lot of substances that are illegal nowadays that you could buy in the store in them days!"

Last edited by beachmel; 08-14-2011 at 03:05 PM..

Old 08-14-2011, 02:56 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
I meet about 1500 kids a year.

There are some really special kids out there. Meeting them can make my day!

Most of them, however, would fall into the clueless no manners variety. They're not necessarily bad (though I do meet juvee kids, too). But they haven't been taught NOT to be self-absorbed or to be respectful. I don't blame them. I blame the parents.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:04 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,728,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I meet about 1500 kids a year.

There are some really special kids out there. Meeting them can make my day!

Most of them, however, would fall into the clueless no manners variety. They're not necessarily bad (though I do meet juvee kids, too). But they haven't been taught NOT to be self-absorbed or to be respectful. I don't blame them. I blame the parents.
Honestly, it breaks my heart that people are/were shocked at how polite my kids are/were. "Oh my GOSH, your children are SO polite"...umm aren't they SUPPOSE to be?

Old 08-15-2011, 03:33 PM

4 posts, read 4,821 times
I agree with you. When I look at my grown child I think of how much more she's had to bear than I did. She is mature, responsible, into political matters, aware of the world around here and suffering through the financial crises with no job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting