Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 08:18 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,323,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Why is falling sexual activity a good thing? We aren't mammals anymore?
? You think falling sexual activity among teens is bad or are you being sarcastic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 07:00 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
? You think falling sexual activity among teens is bad or are you being sarcastic?
I think sexual activity among teens is inevitable. Rather than pretend that they AREN'T burgeoning sexual creatures, we should teach them the right, wrong and safe ways to explore sexually.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:21 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Why is falling sexual activity a good thing? We aren't mammals anymore?
Are you kidding me?

Old 08-20-2011, 01:02 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,198,558 times
Quote:
I think sexual activity among teens is inevitable. Rather than pretend that they AREN'T burgeoning sexual creatures, we should teach them the right, wrong and safe ways to explore sexually.
Part of it is timing. Rushing a life event one may be physiologically, but not socially or emotionally, ready for is neither my idea of "safe" nor "right".

Old 08-20-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Part of it is timing. Rushing a life event one may be physiologically, but not socially or emotionally, ready for is neither my idea of "safe" nor "right".
I agree. But what constitutes "ready" is often misjudged by fearful grown ups, in my opinion.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Wait I just re-read that. What do you mean by a "life event"? Honestly, I don't think sex is the Big Fat Hairy deal society seems to think it is. Many Europeans manage to have casual, fun, friendly sex without devolving into psychosis.

I even think viewing sex in less of a Big Deal kind of way is a healthy way to approach long term monogamous relationship. How can one know if one is going to be sexually compatible with someone for LIFE if they have no sexual experience whatsoever? You can tell I am not even a little bit of an advocate of abstinence until marriage.

What do we fear sexuality will DO to our kids? The big ones are obvious. Pregnancy and STIs. Both of these are easily preventable with education. Now I will grant you that no means is 100% effective against STI transmission except abstinence. And this is a really important point for a teenager to understand.

I have been sexually active from quite a young age. In my experience, the ONLY downside to young sexual activity is the judgement from your parents and other authority figures. Sure I got my feelings hurt a couple of times. That is going to happen in the boy / girl growing up thing. And is not even a bad thing. It serves to teach.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:42 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,323,890 times
Quote:
Wait I just re-read that. What do you mean by a "life event"? Honestly, I don't think sex is the Big Fat Hairy deal society seems to think it is. Many Europeans manage to have casual, fun, friendly sex without devolving into psychosis.

I even think viewing sex in less of a Big Deal kind of way is a healthy way to approach long term monogamous relationship. How can one know if one is going to be sexually compatible with someone for LIFE if they have no sexual experience whatsoever? You can tell I am not even a little bit of an advocate of abstinence until marriage.

What do we fear sexuality will DO to our kids? The big ones are obvious. Pregnancy and STIs. Both of these are easily preventable with education. Now I will grant you that no means is 100% effective against STI transmission except abstinence. And this is a really important point for a teenager to understand.

I have been sexually active from quite a young age. In my experience, the ONLY downside to young sexual activity is the judgement from your parents and other authority figures. Sure I got my feelings hurt a couple of times. That is going to happen in the boy / girl growing up thing. And is not even a bad thing. It serves to teach.
Yes, but many, if not most teenagers are too immature mentally to take sex responsibly like they're supposed to. And often times, they regret having sex with someone they had it with.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Yes, but many, if not most teenagers are too immature mentally to take sex responsibly like they're supposed to. And often times, they regret having sex with someone they had it with.
Absolutely. They also regret not studying for their algebra test. But for some reason we think it is a bigger deal to regret a sexual decision. I can't really understand why.

Where are they to get their maturity from? I don't think the passage of time does it. I think *experience*, good and bad, does it. I think education does it.

In my opinion, the fact that they ARE immature should cause us to make bc accessible rather than making it challenging to acquire. Instead of worrying about messages being sent, why not make it easier for them to do their growing up with less risk of catastrophic result. Because while I think sexuality is not the Big Deal many do, pregnancy is a real life changing event.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
I disagree that teen sex is inevitable, especially for high school students. I do not think sexual intercourse is an appropriate high school activity. They are too young to understand the repercussions, and the risk of disease and pregnancy is quite high due to ignorance. When my daughters were teens they got "Seventeen" magazine. Now in addition to being about clothes, hairstyles and the like, they have a very positive message about teen relationships, girls not letting guys talk them into sex, waiting until one is "ready", etc. One article interviewed a bunch of girls who had sex early, and each and every one of them said they wished they had waited.

Quote:

Perhaps you could provide some links or other evidence.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I disagree that teen sex is inevitable, especially for high school students. I do not think sexual intercourse is an appropriate high school activity.
By the time they are in high school, you are no longer the arbiter of appropriate. If you have not done the job of instilling some sense into them by now, you are hosed. If you micromanage your child, you will have three outcomes
- mamma's wuss
- rebel
- underground deceiver

The very JOB of this age is to start become their own person, to separate from you.

Deny biology if you like. At what price?

Quote:
They are too young to understand the repercussions, and the risk of disease and pregnancy is quite high due to ignorance.
My 8 and 10 year old already understand pregnancy. Why a high school student doesn't I cannot imagine. If we worried less about the "message" we sent when we educated them, then we would not be faced with ignorant teens.

Yes, high school kids have the invincible complex. As parents we have to understand that in the context of the fact that they are starting to identify as romantic and sexual beings. They are not going to learn how to be those things by playing matchbox cars. They are going to learn by trying to do, as they learned how to use their legs as babies by trying to walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting