Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 07:09 PM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times

Advertisements

It's not how awful the kids today are, it's about how awful their parents are. You know, the generation we raised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 03:15 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Fortunately, I think the backlash is starting the other way...thank god.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:11 AM

613 posts, read 992,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianIce View Post
This was a great article.

I really don't know any "bad" kids, to be honest. I mean, there is the usual variety of personalities. Same with adults, though....I know plenty of adults I don't care for.

It may be an unpopular opinion, but I love teenagers. They're so full of life, so passionate. They feel the world is theirs to explore. It's great to hear their opinions of the world as they enter it.
I agree! And I think a lot of adults forget that teenagers are STILL children that are learning HOW to become adults. Just because they are adult-sized does not mean they can yet reason
as well as an adult. They don't have the experience and they are going to make mistakes; a LOT of them!

Also wanted to add that the self absorption exhibited in teenagers is a normal developmental stage that ALL teenagers go through.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:00 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,060,162 times
The people of the article does have a point.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:34 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,323,890 times
The authors Strauss and Howe say when the next generation or the current babies being born come of age, they will strike older adults as being "well-educated, well-behaved, risk-adverse, and naive."

It's in paragraph 6.
Lifecourse Associates: Where We Are Today (http://www.lifecourse.com/insight/where-we-are-today.html - broken link)

The authors have a generational theory about how history repeats itself and how the babies born during these times have certain characteristic traits to them. It's described by the events that occur and the people's feelings about themselves and the world around them.

So, the current babies being born belong to the Artist generation, according to Strauss and Howe. Previously, the past Artist generations, during their teenage and young adulthood years have been described as being unadventurous, cautious, docile and well behaved. An example would be the Silent generation born from 1925-1942. They came of age during the 1950s as what was then described as being the most well behaved and obedient youths in American history. They also had the lowest rates of drug and alcohol usage in high school, as well low rates of suicide and violence. So, the authors predict that the current babies may be like the Silent generation.
Archetypes (http://fourthturning.com/html/archetypes_3.html - broken link)

Today's Millennial generation belong to the Hero type. Archetypes (http://fourthturning.com/html/archetypes_2.html - broken link) The GI generation are an example of Heros. The authors found that Millennials and the GIs share many characteristics of being optimism, team oriented, and coming of age during increasing protection of children.

Last edited by 90sman; 08-17-2011 at 08:45 PM..

Old 08-18-2011, 06:40 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
The authors Strauss and Howe say when the next generation or the current babies being born come of age, they will strike older adults as being "well-educated, well-behaved, risk-adverse, and naive."

It's in paragraph 6.
Lifecourse Associates: Where We Are Today (http://www.lifecourse.com/insight/where-we-are-today.html - broken link)

The authors have a generational theory about how history repeats itself and how the babies born during these times have certain characteristic traits to them. It's described by the events that occur and the people's feelings about themselves and the world around them.

So, the current babies being born belong to the Artist generation, according to Strauss and Howe. Previously, the past Artist generations, during their teenage and young adulthood years have been described as being unadventurous, cautious, docile and well behaved. An example would be the Silent generation born from 1925-1942. They came of age during the 1950s as what was then described as being the most well behaved and obedient youths in American history. They also had the lowest rates of drug and alcohol usage in high school, as well low rates of suicide and violence. So, the authors predict that the current babies may be like the Silent generation.
Archetypes (http://fourthturning.com/html/archetypes_3.html - broken link)

Today's Millennial generation belong to the Hero type. Archetypes (http://fourthturning.com/html/archetypes_2.html - broken link) The GI generation are an example of Heros. The authors found that Millennials and the GIs share many characteristics of being optimism, team oriented, and coming of age during increasing protection of children.

Hmmm. Interesting! Is that from a textbook? If so, what course is it for? Sounds like something I'd really sink my teeth into.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:15 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,198,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Hmmm. Interesting! Is that from a textbook? If so, what course is it for? Sounds like something I'd really sink my teeth into.
I wouldn't normally cite Wikipedia, but it's good for a brief overview. Strauss and Howe's book is called Generations.

Strauss-Howe generational theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-19-2011, 10:24 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,127,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
People have been saying this since time immemorial. I'd look up the quote from Socrates or Plato (can't remember which one right now), but I'm feeling kind of lazy. I've posted it before.
Here it is:

Quote:
"The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have
no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all
restraint. They talk as if they alone knew everything and what passes
for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for girls, they are
forward, immodest and unwomanly in speech, behaviour and dress."

-Socrates

Old 08-19-2011, 07:12 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Well, statistically, teenagers today are better behaved than teenagers were 30-40 years ago. Drug, abortion, pregnancy rates, sexual activity and alcohol usage have fallen among teenagers since then.
Why is falling sexual activity a good thing? We aren't mammals anymore?

Old 08-19-2011, 07:15 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
The people of the article does have a point.
The people (plural) of the article DO have a point.

Yes I know it is ridiculously obnoxious to be the grammar police. But in my defense the kids and I recently watched Limony Snicket's a Series of Unfortunate Events in which Glen Close plays a character who is crazy about grammar. So my brain is stuck there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting