Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 07:34 AM

18,529 posts, read 18,761,435 times

Advertisements

Hitting kids is abuse and should never be used... it only shows the parent to be out of control of the situation... teach the kids how to behave in company first and dont wait until they create merry hell in shops or restaurants... I would die with embarrassment if any of mine had carried on in public places..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 07:35 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,700,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Since when is the choice spanking or just doing nothing? There are plenty of ways to discipline a child.

And for the record, me and my brothers were spanked. We did not all turn out fine.
You misunderstood me. I never said spanking is the ONLY choice, I said it was ONE choice. If the child is being disruptive, do SOMETHING. Most parents do, but honestly, there are people out there who just blissfully ignore the issue and do absolutely nothing.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Hitting kids is abuse and should never be used... it only shows the parent to be out of control of the situation... teach the kids how to behave in company first and dont wait until they create merry hell in shops or restaurants... I would die with embarrassment if any of mine had carried on in public places..
It's called spanking. Hitting connotates just randomly hitting a kid anywhere on their bodies, a d abuse is when either of those cause bruises, cuts or marks and parents using rage and all of their physical strength to pound on a kid. That is not what a spanking is. And not everything calls for a spanking. A parent should take a 5 minute break before deciding on any punishment at all, because it's also been shown that verbal punishment causes distress to kids.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:40 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,252,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
You misunderstood me. I never said spanking is the ONLY choice, I said it was ONE choice. If the child is being disruptive, do SOMETHING. Most parents do, but honestly, there are people out there who just blissfully ignore the issue and do absolutely nothing.
Well your post didn't comment on any other options, just spank or nothing so forgive me for misunderstanding you.

Sometimes ignoring the behaviour is the most effective strategy though, obviously not in a restaurant though for the sake of the other customers but in a shop for instance, I usually ignore my toddler's tantrums and walk away and it works. What I'm saying is, you might think a parent is 'doing nothing' but in actual fact they might be purposefully not giving attention to the bad behaviour because they know children will do things that gain attention but not things that don't gain attention.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:45 AM

Yes, that is very true! We're taught to just let a kid fuss through a tantrum, unless it's one where the kid is hurting themselves. (I work in a preschool...and no, we don't lay a hand on them) ....just redirection, time outs /thinking time, reward systems for good behaviors, etc..

Old 10-01-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I wish some parents did that. It's getting a little more common to see little ones who have no clue. On the other hand, a few of my little 2 yr. Olds yesterday used great manners. One of them said "Scuse me " while riding past me on a tricycle on the playground and others used their pleases and thank yous ( or as they say...."peas" and "tank oo ")

Old 10-01-2013, 08:15 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
Quote:

It is certainly true that at the moment that a child needs correction that correction occur. But the real time to be teaching expectations is very often leading up to the event or situation when the skill will be needed. Taking PROaction to help the child understand what is expected rather than resort only to REaction when they "misbehave" can pay huge dividends.

Example, when our son was small, we decided that eating out was something we wanted to be able to do. We were pretty consistent wrt table manners at home. Meal times were pleasant, but when they started getting distracted or whatever, it was over. Then when we started taking then only DS out to meals, we told him (old enough to understand the basics of language), we eat politely and don't disturb other people here. He agreed. Then shortly thereafter starting yelling loudly. We left. He yelled louder. But not in the ear shot of the other customers. So we did not disturb anyone. He got the message. Awesome restaurant mac n cheese = no yelling. We paid for an education if not a meal.

Etcetera.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:03 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post

The main thing is that discipline is supposed to be UNPLEASANT
What??

You seem to not understand the difference between punishment and discipline. It is a real shame because you are missing the opportunity to teach your children the ultimate goal of all parenting, self-discipline, when all you do is teach them punishment.

They are not the same thing.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:49 AM

878 posts, read 942,581 times
Quote:
If the child is being disruptive, do SOMETHING. Most parents do...
No, actually, they do not. Very, very few.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:00 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,614,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphonics View Post
There was news some time in the last few years about a restaurant that wanted to ban patrons with young children and how common it's becoming. I remember reading the comments on the article. Many people without kids (and even some with) said they thought it was a fantastic idea a long time coming because they can't stand having their social outings (movies, dining out, etc) ruined by babies crying or little kids that can't behave.

Many parents objected saying they have the right to go out and do things too and their lives shouldn't have to stop just because they have kids, pointing out that they can't always afford a babysitter or otherwise don't feel they should have to leave their kids at home just to make other people happy. People should just accept that they're kids.

I'm not a parent. Just curious how you all feel about it and how you handle it, especially if you know your kids are particularly unruly? Are there places you simply won't take them or do you just hope that people will be understanding? Do you feel badly when your kids are disturbing others or do you just take it as it is?

I searched for this topic and didn't find it so sorry if this is a duplicate, though I did find this one:
//www.city-data.com/forum/paren...udging-vs.html
We don't go out to restaurants, and avoid taking our kids out too. If I am going to spend money to eat elsewhere, I want to have a good time, and NOT listen to my kids or other people's kids screaming and throwing fits! I get enough of that at home! So BAN THEM! & dogs too! I am also not going to out smell your dogs! Have DOG ONLY restaurants!

You have to realize ONE THING: Most kids spend their days in daycares, so they are not taught "restaurant manners". Hell, few are taught proper manners these days anyways; they don't get one on one at daycares! So, they don't know, and I don't feel like spending money to have a nice time out while some other parents are out to restaurant train on my time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting