Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2013, 10:24 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,252,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPDAL View Post
Or have some common sense and don't bring small toddlers out late at night, when they should be in bed.
Sometimes you have no other option, like when you're travelling. I had to take my toddler to a restaurant close on 9pm once as we were travelling, still had a fair distance to go to home and needed to eat. I just made sure I picked a place that was practically empty and sat far away from anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 11:05 AM

384 posts, read 594,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Sometimes you have no other option, like when you're travelling. I had to take my toddler to a restaurant close on 9pm once as we were travelling, still had a fair distance to go to home and needed to eat. I just made sure I picked a place that was practically empty and sat far away from anyone else.
Then always have a backup plan. "Having no other option" is not an acceptable excuse for poor behavior.
Or get take out or delivery. Taking a tired and cranky toddler out is not the only option in this scenario.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:07 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,224,277 times
Went out to a local Chinese restaurant the other night, our family of 4. Dinner ran us a little over $100, so not cheap but not 5star either.

Shortly before our food arrived another family arrived and were seated at the table next to us. Mom, Dad and an approximate 2 year old child. The parents proceeded to allow the child to sit, stand and dance on the top of the table. This was purely lack of parenting. There was no other excuse other than these idiots didn't seem to have any issue with their child sitting, standing and dancing on a table in a restaurant.

We got the managers attention and asked that the family be moved. We did not feel that our meal should be interrupted due to the idiots at the table next to us. The manager didn't move them but did ask they get the child off of the table. The rest of our meal was interrupted with a whining screaming kid and dirty looks from the parents who now had the kid in a high chair. The kid obviously was planning to voice their displeasure at their containment for the duration of our meal, which is exactly what happened.

The owner apologized to us on the way out. I suggested that next time he actually move the family with the obnoxious kid or ask them to leave so that families like mine would return, which after that experience we have no intention of doing.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
Went out to a local Chinese restaurant the other night, our family of 4. Dinner ran us a little over $100, so not cheap but not 5star either.

Shortly before our food arrived another family arrived and were seated at the table next to us. Mom, Dad and an approximate 2 year old child. The parents proceeded to allow the child to sit, stand and dance on the top of the table. This was purely lack of parenting. There was no other excuse other than these idiots didn't seem to have any issue with their child sitting, standing and dancing on a table in a restaurant.

We got the managers attention and asked that the family be moved. We did not feel that our meal should be interrupted due to the idiots at the table next to us. The manager didn't move them but did ask they get the child off of the table. The rest of our meal was interrupted with a whining screaming kid and dirty looks from the parents who now had the kid in a high chair. The kid obviously was planning to voice their displeasure at their containment for the duration of our meal, which is exactly what happened.

The owner apologized to us on the way out. I suggested that next time he actually move the family with the obnoxious kid or ask them to leave so that families like mine would return, which after that experience we have no intention of doing.
I had a similar experience, although it was with my family. My relative would allow her 2 year old to play with rice on the table and build castles out of it. they then took the rice away, to which he wailed immutably. The whole restuarant had their eyes on us, I was so mortified. I could just feel the tension of the glares. So my relative gives him more food to make a mess out of. and they have another baby on the way. Wonder how that's going to work out.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Then always have a backup plan. "Having no other option" is not an acceptable excuse for poor behavior.
Or get take out or delivery. Taking a tired and cranky toddler out is not the only option in this scenario.
Sometimes it is the only option. Take out or delivery isn't always an option (not going to eat take out in the car in the middle of winter, nevermind the fact that most take out isn't an option for me or my toddler). I do whatever I can to limit any disturbance my toddler makes but I'm not going to go without eating when I need to eat, in the end me and my toddler have just as much right to eat in a restaurant as anyone else (and as I said earlier in the thread, I wouldn't take her to a fancy restaurant where people expect peace and quiet, only family friendly places that generally have music playing loud enough to cover up the noise of a fussy kid)

Old 09-29-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Sometimes it is the only option. Take out or delivery isn't always an option (not going to eat take out in the car in the middle of winter, nevermind the fact that most take out isn't an option for me or my toddler). I do whatever I can to limit any disturbance my toddler makes but I'm not going to go without eating when I need to eat, in the end me and my toddler have just as much right to eat in a restaurant as anyone else (and as I said earlier in the thread, I wouldn't take her to a fancy restaurant where people expect peace and quiet, only family friendly places that generally have music playing loud enough to cover up the noise of a fussy kid)
Actually since it is a private business you are not guaranteed the right to eat there and the manager does have the legal right to kick you out if your toddler is making a disturbance. Nobody has the right to give anyone their business.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:27 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post

The saddest thing, in your overall sad story, is that the other parents were mad at YOU.

And, the manager should have asked the other family to leave when their child continued to scream.

What parent would ever feel that letting a child dance on a table in a restaurant was acceptable behavior? Well, probably the parent of the second grade student who got angry at me (the teachers aide) last week when I briefly removed their child from the classroom because they were singing so loud while the teacher was giving directions to the class that the other students couldn't hear the teacher.

Or the parent of my five year old student who was crawling on the floor in the hallway at dismissal time and pretending he was a vicious dog biting other children in their legs (he managed to scare, bite or trip several children in K4 before I got him to stop and stand up). His parent was furious at me because I was "stifling his creativity".

Or the parent... I have dozens of stories that may have started when the parents didn't teach their 2 year old appropriate behavior in public. Sheesh.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:37 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
Unless you have a 5 star resort restaurant, you are catering to the general public which includes families with children. And even 5 star restaurants serve children if they are properly disciplined.
And it isn't the "place" which forbids animals. It is the law which doesn't allow animals in places where food is prepared and served. It's a health department issue.

Last edited by Jaded; 10-01-2013 at 12:30 AM.. Reason: Removed deleted post

Old 09-29-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Actually since it is a private business you are not guaranteed the right to eat there and the manager does have the legal right to kick you out if your toddler is making a disturbance. Nobody has the right to give anyone their business.
That is true. It would be more correct to state that me and my toddler have just as much right as anyone else who isn't creating enough disturbance to be kicked out by the manager.... but its at the manager's discretion, not yours.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:48 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
Some children have been taught to behave in restaurants.

Last edited by Jaded; 10-01-2013 at 12:29 AM.. Reason: Removed deleted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting