Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2013, 02:49 PM

878 posts, read 942,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayerdu View Post
I think banning children is ridiculous. My children behave at restaurants and for us to forgo our RARE family dinners out because they *might* misbehave is just stupid. I know, I know, we could just go to a different restaurant that didnt ban kids, but what if THAT is the restuarant that we really like? Our special nights are so rare that we always want tk go to ones tbat we love not just ones that accept children.

You are not the arbiter of what is acceptable. I can only imagine the hell your children unleash. What parents think of as proper behavior is usually not at all proper, but instead, utterly savage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 02:57 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-Cat View Post
Then you should leave said teenager at home. Such behavior is unacceptable in any public place, disability or not. No excuses, please.
So people with certain disabilities should just never leave the house in case they behave in an inappropriate way? Wow... I think people who can't handle the fact other people might make noise or cause distractions in public should be the ones to stay home.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:11 PM

878 posts, read 942,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
The third option might be to teach them how to behave in polite company. Ya think?

20yrsinBranson
That requires effort, persistence and refusal to be the child's "friend."

Parenting is not friendship, and parents should not expect friendship from their kids. Parenting is teaching the children how to behave in the real world. Teaching must be an every day, every hour, every minute endeavor. Otherwise, you end up with the entitled generations we have now Moderator Cut.

Moderator Cut

Last edited by Jaded; 09-29-2013 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: Flaming and rude

Old 09-28-2013, 04:31 PM

384 posts, read 594,503 times
No. No one has the right to be subjected to misbehaving children running around and wreaking havoc at what is supposed to be a nice place to eat and socialize. And I'm sick and tired of someone bringing up the topic of senior citizens everything someone brings up the topic of children misbehaving at restaurants. Toddlers/small children are not comparable to elderly senior citizens! If you do not want people commenting smugly about your parenting, control your spawn in public!

Old 09-28-2013, 04:39 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRB22 View Post
I wouldn't want my kid to bother other people who are enjoying themselves. I stayed at home and my childhood wasn't worse because of it.
If your kid starts bothering people then you remove them. As a mature, grown adults, though, people have the faculties to deal with the situation until it's rectified. If they are incapable of dealing with it then perhaps they need to rethink their public outings.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:22 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,823 times
The last few times that I've witnessed bad behavior from kids in public places, the kids in question were neither babies nor toddlers. In each of these situations, the kids looked to be about 8-10 years of age. Once was in a clothing store, where the mother ignored her kids to look at the clothes while they ran around the store playing tag. Another time was in a store that sells home decor items, a lot of which were breakable. Mom was making a half-*ssed attempt at disciplining her kids, because she, too, was more interested in her shopping. I've seen a group of kids throwing a soccer ball around and pushing each other in the waiting area of a restaurant. That was pretty bad. The ball hit at least three other patrons. About ten minutes later, a woman who I presume was the mother shows up to do some half-hearted parenting. Where the hell were you ten minutes ago?

And of course, no one wants to say anything about it, because the poor employees of these establishments don't need it to come down on them, and the other patrons don't want to deal with some confrontational "mother bear" garbage when they're just trying to do some shopping or enjoy a decent meal in peace. If the handlers of these kids thought about it for a second, having someone tell these kids to knock it off would be one of the more positive outcomes. There are some people out there with some nefarious intentions, and while these parents aren't paying attention, someone could just swoop in and snatch these kids. Adam Walsh, anyone?

There are kids that can and do behave in public, and parents that care enough to teach them how. So sad that it's getting increasingly rare.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:56 PM

384 posts, read 594,503 times
The real reason the children run around and misbehave us due to the fact that the parents are afraid of actually punishing their children. At the end of they day, they reason, they just don't have the energy to discipline their children (why did you become a parent in the first place....?) and it would be much too heartbreaking to see the reaction-eek!- in their children in being punished. One poster who commented on one of my threads stated "we can't stop our daughter from misbehaving because she chooses to" and this is what the current generation is about. They will not punish their children in fear of a reaction. No wonder the teachers on the education thread are lamenting about the poor behavior of children in today's classrooms.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:20 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPDAL View Post
why did you become a parent in the first place....?
Maybe because, like you, they are overwhelmed because they had a half-baked notion of what they thought being a parent really was like. Those of you who have it all figured out are the type that burns out first.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:26 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Maybe because, like you, they are overwhelmed because they had a half-baked notion of what they thought being a parent really was like. Those of you who have it all figured out are the type that burns out first.

What are you suggesting? That kids are so horrid that expecting them to actually be human beings is unreasonable? TEACHING them to actually behave like human beings is not possible?

Old 09-28-2013, 06:31 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
What are you suggesting? That kids are so horrid that expecting them to actually be human beings is unreasonable? TEACHING them to actually behave like human beings is not possible?
If you saw earlier in this thread, I leave my 3.5 year old at home because he would not behave in these situations (he has ASD).

But LPDAL is not a parent and seems to only post here to complain about how they feel their family member does not discipline their toddler enough according to his/her opinion, over things that most parents would agree is NOT a discipline issue. LPDAL says "why did you become a parent in the first place", well, I think a lot of "those" parents are former LPDALs who thought it was so damn easy and cave quickly when their theories are blown up in smoke
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting