Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2013, 12:01 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,224,277 times

Advertisements

We went into a fairly nice restaurant once with DD who was around 2.5 and DS who was 12 or so. DD was they type of kid we could take anywhere. The restaurant did not have high chairs or booster seats. We got the message, young kids were not welcome and so we left. It was not a big deal, we did not hold a grudge and we returned a few years later where we all enjoyed a nice meal in an environment where small kids were highly discouraged, not banned cut certainly not accommodated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 12:05 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,379,456 times
At my cousin's wake their was a group of children who were playing tag. Didn't seem to bother their parents. The children's grandmother was trying to sit them down.

My wife got yelled at because she told one of the students eating at breakfast to stop playing and start eating. The kid was tossing his milk carton up in the air.

We went to a wedding a year ago. There was a little boy who kept running all over the place during dinner. I almost tripped over him twice. Later in the evening he was on top of the tables trying to blow the candles out.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:41 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Unless you have a 5 star resort restaurant, you are catering to the general public which includes families with children. And even 5 star restaurants serve children if they are properly disciplined.
And it isn't the "place" which forbids animals. It is the law which doesn't allow animals in places where food is prepared and served. It's a health department issue.
Today I went to brunch at a 3 star (bill was $130) and the place was upscale enough. We brought our 5 month old daughter. They were attentive to our needs. She's a good baby anyway, but we decided on brunch and not dinner because she's better in the morning. I made sure she had her nap, bottle, and asked to be seated in the patio next to the bar (they were seating people in the main dining area) because she babbles sometimes. It was very easy for them and us and they got to sell us some pricey eggs.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:11 PM

283 posts, read 447,788 times
I dont have children and it takes a lot of annoy me, so im not 'for' this ban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

When my two were that age I wouldn't have put up with it for one second. Bad kids are not born, they are made that way by inattentive, overly permissive parents.

Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
Exactly. I have 2 kids ages 4 & 6 and even at ages 2 & 4 (or heck, 1 & 3) they BEHAVED. You know why? They behaved because I EXPECTED THEM TO. I put the fear of God in them about what would happen to them if they didn't mind. I didn't hesitate to swat their butts good if they made the slightest protest, and I did so within SECONDS of it. SECONDS. I'd say "stop," if they did, good--if not, ON THE SPOT, we went to the bathroom and I laid into them.

They learned real quickly to shut their piehole if they knew what was good for them. If anyone wants to criticize it as "parenting by fear & intimidation," fine, call it what you will. I call it kids who behave so others can enjoy their meals in peace & quiet.

LRH

Old 09-29-2013, 06:25 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
Today at work we had customers who brought in their dogs (our business is pet friendly), and I commented to one lady that we prefer pets coming into the store rather than kids. She agreed. The dogs that come in are well behaved and love to go to the checkout counter because we keep Beggin Strips there for them. But the kids who come in split up from their parents and tear up the store. It is like the parents can't be bothered to supervise them so they just let them run wild. When they leave we find stuff all over the store pulled from the shelves or opened.

I honestly can't say I remember the last time parents brought in kids who they monitored and who they made behave themselves. Parenting has gone to hell in this world, and it is not the fault of the kids, it is bad parents.

Don

Old 09-29-2013, 07:37 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,700,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I didn't say all kids are the same. Even the ones who are normally quiet and well behaved are likely to have an outburst if they are tired or hungry. It wouldn't be fair to label that kid "bad." A stranger in a restaurant isn't going to know if the child is normally very well behaved, or is prone to outbursts, and it won't matter to them. I wouldn't suggest leaving all kids home all the time because they might make a noise in public.
It's not the kid that's "bad", it's the behavior, and there are some parents out there who will just ignore it and keep letting it go on. A friend of mine went to a restaurant with a coworker and a kid at the booth behind them kept throwing food at them and pulling the hair of my friends coworker. The parents never did anything about it.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I agree that kids are unpredictable, but I do think there are some parents out there that don't prepare properly and expect their kids to behave like adults.

If your kid fidgets at a restaurant because he's done with his food before you are, then why not BRING some things to entertain them? A coloring book, a book to read, a small toy, etc.

BUT IMO there are restaurants you don't see kids at. Usually the higher end places that cost a lot don't have children... These people don't want to see kids, then go spend "all" that "extra" money you have and go there
I did that too, and it worked very well most of the time. There were a few times we went out, that I had to take her outside as a distraction, but she was pretty small at the time and probably just tired.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
There is an enormous difference between getting control over someone and teaching them to control themselves. Parents should be aiming for the latter so that when the kids are teens they know how to control themselves. It's easy to get control over a 3 year old. It's hard to teach them to control themselves.
I think that's what he meant, at least, that's what I garnered from it. However, if a child is having a severe tantrum, taking control of them is a necessity so that they don't injure themselves.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayerdu View Post
I think banning children is ridiculous. My children behave at restaurants and for us to forgo our RARE family dinners out because they *might* misbehave is just stupid. I know, I know, we could just go to a different restaurant that didnt ban kids, but what if THAT is the restuarant that we really like? Our special nights are so rare that we always want tk go to ones tbat we love not just ones that accept children.
One bad apple spoils the whole bunch. In other words, it just takes one person to ruin it for the rest of us.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oh PLEASE.

What a cop out this is. Parents still parent - it may not be to your taste, but everything grows and evolves.

I have a good friend who's older and has a sad tale of being completely alienated from his father back in the good ole seen and not heard days. Guaranteed that family never did anything along the lines of dining out with their kids. He had a miserable childhood, and was determined not to repeat that with his own child.

Doesn't mean parents don't parent. I can count on one finger the number of times I've seen adults let their children run amok in restaurants.

These threads aways bring out the get off my lawners.
Yes, there are parents that still parent. And even if they don't use the same methods I do, I don't let it bother me. But at least they try and don't ignore behaviors. But, I work in a preschool, and there ARE parents who literally do nearly nothing for or with their kids and DO let behaviors continue. They usually blow it off or blame the behavior on others, not their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting