Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 04:18 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
This is exactly what always happens, actually. They come running out begging to go play with the other one after school. However, we usually did say no if it hadn't already been scheduled, since we both work and had to schedule those things ahead of time.
Well then, is it possible this is no more than the other mother changing her work schedule, and having to depend on a babysitter who might not be up to having both boys around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 04:44 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,704 times
Quote:
This was my original plan, actually. It was only after I saw all the responses here that I changed my mind.
I think the note idea, especially the eloquent one EllenPB penned, would go a long way. A year or so I really messed up a friendship. I wrote my friend a long letter and fortunately we resolved our issues. She really appreciated my letter. I strongly believe in the written word and believe it can go far in mending friendships.

A nice note gracefully puts the ball in the other mom's court. If she doesn't respond or acknowledge the note, then I would let it go. No use wasting your time on someone who doesn't want it. I'm sorry that your son is going through a tough time.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:49 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
I understand your desire to figure this out -- especially if you are going to be running into her a lot with camp and school, etc. I think the advice not to back her into a corner is a wise one.

My inclination would be to wait until school started or they are at camp, and then one day walk over to her house with a fresh batch of cookies or brownies, knock on the door and say, "Look, I really miss you, and I know Sam misses Tyler -- I don't know what happened, but if it was something I did, please give me the chance to apologize." Hopefully, she'll be honest with you. If not, then it may just become one of those great mysteries of the universe.

Meanwhile, I feel for your son. It's hard to explain rejection, especially when it comes from another adult.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:57 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Well then, is it possible this is no more than the other mother changing her work schedule, and having to depend on a babysitter who might not be up to having both boys around?
I don't think this is the problem, even though time has always been a problem for both of us. I think if this were it she'd have just told me. It's something I would have easily understood and she knows it.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:35 PM

108 posts, read 126,105 times
Of course it's a big deal for the other mom! Why else would she just drop the play dates so disrespectfully and give the cold shoulder? There's something amiss here. It could be something you said, something someone else said, something your husband or other close person did or said or even the way you dress or how you talk. Who knows? People don't just drop you like a hot potato over some little something unless it's big in their eyes. I'd drop it if only because it probably will only get messy and more bothersome if you knew. Write it off as coming from someone who is being unreasonable, disrespectful, and scared by not being up front and honest with you. She wasn't really a friend after all. She did you a favor. Hold your head up and know that you aren't the wrong doer. Go girl!

Old 07-14-2014, 06:05 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Um, they live two blocks from us. They will be waiting at the bus stop together in September.
Then they will have plenty of opportunities to rekindle this relationship on their own in the future. Within the next couple of years, they will be playing freely in the neighborhood without parents making play dates.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:41 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Your son will be meeting new kids in camp and school. Kids are resistant (if their parents raise them to be resistant) and find new best buddies.
Did you mean "resilient"?

Old 07-14-2014, 08:00 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,007 times
Quote:
It's awfully hard to move on when my child can't. He asks me at least once a day to see his friend. Also, the two will be in the same class when school starts, and are scheduled to attend the same summer camp coming up in two weeks. So it's not like we'll never see them again.
He will get over it, as long as you do.

I would just say "they moved away" and "they'll come back to visit".

Kids have to learn that people move on, sooner or later.

Whatever is with that other mother, it's probably got zero to do with you so stop personalising it, your son is mirroring you.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
He will get over it, as long as you do.

I would just say "they moved away" and "they'll come back to visit".

Kids have to learn that people move on, sooner or later.

Whatever is with that other mother, it's probably got zero to do with you so stop personalising it, your son is mirroring you.
The kid lives down the street and goes to his school. It says so right in the post you quoted. Even if he didn't, no need to lie about it. Then he'll ask when they are coming to visit.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:24 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,826,111 times
Wow, I guess I am just a lot more direct than a lot of people here. I would definitely ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting