Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2011, 07:07 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
I disagree. It is telling your child that their are repercussions for their actions/poor decisions. Example: My punched another child at the playground when she was 5 or so, and I spanked her. It taught her that if she doesn't want to be punished, then she doesn't need to hurt someone else. She hasn't hit anyone else since.
This is particularly funny. My daughter hit someone so I... hit her.

How about if you cannot play safely at the playground, you cannot play at the playground. Try that for a week and see if she doesn't come to understand.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I would dare say what she learned is that if she hits someone, she gets hit. So she stopped hitting out of fear. But she didn't learn that hitting in and of itself is WRONG or WHY....how could she when her parent's response was to hit? I guess hitting is just something reserved for adults. Like I said, even as a kid I knew when someone was being hypocritical, even if I didn't have the word for it yet.
This is spot on.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:37 AM

49 posts, read 99,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I believe that at worst yelling is really mean. At best it is really ineffective. I cannot, for the life of me, imagine what GOOD yelling can do.
I agree with you except on the bolded point. At worst, it does more damage than spanking. I remember being spanked a few times as a child, and it was embarrassing but not abuse, but my whole childhood and adolescence, my mom and two husbands she went through would constantly have screaming matches and I would also get yelled at all the time for no reason. It wasn't just yelling, it was also what was said, but I think the yelling made it even worse. It's like another poster said, a spanking is [usually] given for a specific action, and so the child knows what will happen if they do that again. But with yelling, it usually has no specific cause and, for me at least, gave reason to be scared all of the time and never know what kind of reaction I would get. At the worst, yelling is not just really mean, but definitely abuse.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:40 AM

229 posts, read 206,916 times
I've been spanked, it sure did make me learn faster on what not to do than taking away my T.V. ever did. I see no wrong in spanking the butt/upper leg. Now slapping or punching is over the line. People who feel spanking is wrong need to seriously get off thier pedistal. LOL

Old 08-26-2011, 08:51 AM

49 posts, read 99,832 times
I don't think spanking is necessarily wrong, but I plan on trying every other alternative first. Right now, my daughter is 10 months old, and she knows what "no" means without being yelled at or swatted. It's kind of sad though, she usually throws a bit of a temper tantrum...super spoiled child...

Old 08-26-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emo_wifey View Post
I don't think spanking is necessarily wrong, but I plan on trying every other alternative first. Right now, my daughter is 10 months old, and she knows what "no" means without being yelled at or swatted. It's kind of sad though, she usually throws a bit of a temper tantrum...super spoiled child...
I think every parent should read the best triumverate of books

Amazon.com: Discipline for Life : Getting it Right with Children (9781887069069): Madelyn Swift: Books

Amazon.com: How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk (9780380811960): Adele Faber, Elaine Mazlish: Books

and

Amazon.com: Setting Limits: How to Raise Responsible, Independent Children by Providing Clear Boundaries (Revised and Expanded Second Edition) (0086874512122): Robert J. Mackenzie: Books

Ten month old child is the perfect time for it. Anwyay.. broken record. I know. I can't help myself.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,075 times
Really, look at all these children of time out eras, no respect for anyone, they all think the world owes them something and are patiently sitting around waiting for it. I was spanked, no worse for the wear, I tried all that time out BS with my children, I think there needs to be a happy medium, no abuse, and let the punishment fit the crime.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:07 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzymmarex View Post
Really, look at all these children of time out eras, no respect for anyone, they all think the world owes them something and are patiently sitting around waiting for it. I was spanked, no worse for the wear, I tried all that time out BS with my children, I think there needs to be a happy medium, no abuse, and let the punishment fit the crime.
Why is it that spanking parents believe that the *ONLY* alternative to spanking is a time-out.

If you *must* punish - you can put a toy in time-out, you can have a child lose privileges, loss of allowance. However, the best strategies keep them out of trouble in the first place.

Discipline is teaching which is NOT synonymous with punishment, though punishment *can* be a part of it depending on your world-view.

First and foremost, model the behavior you want your child to emulate. Children learn what they live. Teach by example, not words.

Second, assume your child is good even when he misbehaves. Understand that his actions have an underlying developmental reason. If you can figure out the reason, you can substitute actions that you are ok with that actually meet the same need.

Third, state your rules and requests in positive ways, not negative ones. Redirect her to things she can do rather than trying to keep her away from things without alternatives. Keep "nos" to a minimum. This is the best way to discipline toddlers and to show them what they *can* do rather than spending your time on all the things that they are not allowed to do.

Fourth, explain. Make sure you have his attention. You may need to go closer to him, to touch his shoulder, to look directly in his eyes. Explanations should be kept simple and at the correct developmental level for each child.

Fifth, always try to look for the underlying cause of the behavior and address that so that the need is actually met in acceptable ways. Give her choices
between many things that are acceptable to you. Choices are important because they give children control so that they learn self-discipline instead of always being controlled by an adult.

Sixth, give him warnings of transitions so that they become easier to manage. Children, like adults, need to complete activities they are absorbed in. Think about it. If you are reading a book or watching a tv show or working on a project, I am sure that you don't like being interrupted and told you have to stop. Kids are the same. They need some time to switch gears.

Seventh, allow for time-outs when your emotions or hers are out of control. Time-outs can be used non-punitively to allow both the adult and child to
regain control of their emotions. Teach her to count to 10, to breathe, to walk away by modelling the techniques you use to manage your anger. This is extremely useful and really not a punitive way to use time-outs. It's a way to help both the adult and child to keep emotions under control.

Eighth, say what you mean and mean what you say. Don't give a lot of warnings, give one and then act. Give him time to comply, but follow through. This is where many of us fail. We talk too much and then when the child is not compliant, we feel we have to spank. We don't. If after a first warning, you go to the child and help him to comply (with toddlers, hand-over-hand can be a good technique), the child learns that you mean what you say the first time.

Ninth, plan for situations before they arise. Try to stay calm yourself. Allow her to vent her feelings and accept them. Accepting feelings does not mean giving in. You need to accept feelings, but not the behavior. Often just saying something that shows the child that you understand what they feel will defuse a situation.

Tenth, as your child grows, involve him in making the rules and choosing the consequences for breaking them Brainstorm and problem solve with him. Kids are often harder on themselves than you would be.

Eleventh, make amends when you make a mistake. Apologize to your child when you have made a mistake. Accept his apologies gracefully as well. Having a child make amends is the best thing when s/he does something that hurts another person.

Twelfth, give your child responsibility for real tasks that help make your family work, keeping the chores within her developmental stage and allowing her input into what the chores should be and when to do them. This gives your child a stake in your house and a feeling of family.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:38 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
For whoever asked me to cite my sources on the post... The source is all the moms and dads on misc.kids and alt.mothers as well as my own words and experiences. None of that post is from a book or website. It was copywrited to me on usenet a long time ago. I have several versions of it saved. I added several things to it that were original in the post above this time.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:54 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,355 times
I received a spanking like twice when I was younger. No issues here. All my parents had to do was give me that look and I knew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting