Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 08:29 AM

806 posts, read 260,513 times

Advertisements

The largest mental health provider in the United States is the Cook County (IL) jail.

If you think that's a sustainable model for a healthy society, you might need to visit a mental health provider yourself.

Old 07-30-2020, 08:38 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,906,392 times
Can we change the question to “what are the chances there will be an election?”

Old 07-30-2020, 09:03 AM

2,198 posts, read 1,647,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Can we change the question to “what are the chances there will be an election?”
100%. Why do you ask? Joke I believe?

Old 07-30-2020, 09:04 AM

Ah yes, a "joke." The president is such a joker.

Old 07-30-2020, 09:30 AM

I mean, when he's not joking he's committing federal crimes by endorsing businesses on twitter.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...43391065882629

The "law and order" president.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/5/2635.702

Old 07-30-2020, 04:58 PM

837 posts, read 855,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I too believe Trump will take a larger share of the Black vote this time around, but 25 to 30 percent of it? I think you've been listening to a bit too much Candace Owens.
Just that amount alone will make the Democrat establishment crap their pants. President Trump doesn't even have to win the black vote. I do see him winning the Latino vote and maybe even the Asian vote because both groups have a lot of businesses and if he wins both the Asian and Latino votes, then the Democrat party really needs to be fully drained and refilled with more moderate, populist, and even some conservative Democrats, and that's the reason why Hilary lost WI, MI, OH, and PA and almost lost NH and MN because the Democrats lost those working class and blue collar votes to Trump and history will repeat itself except it's going to be a more Mondalesque type of loss because nobody's motivated by Biden. (https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...yed-home-costi)

Quote:
The under-50 (actually, under-40, IMO) crowd broke for Bernie, and Trump differs just enough from him to not lead them to vote for him; they will mostly either vote for Biden or stay home. And given just how white-hot Democratic opposition to Trump is, if they consider themselves Democrats still, that fever will spread to them. All the Berniecrats I know locally are planning to swallow hard and vote for Biden.
I personally feel that if the presidency was really a major deal and that Trump was such a racist, a narcissist, a homophobe, and a xenophobe, then the Democrat establishment should've dug it's heels and allowed Sanders to fairly go toe to toe with Biden. Had Klobuchar not suspended her race, she would've won MN (and maybe WI, ND, and SD handedly), and it would've been even more interesting had Buttigieg stayed in the race and won his home state of IN (I give the man some credit for winning the delegate count in IA). Had both of those factors happened, it would've complicated Biden's chances of securing the Democrat nomination, and maybe Bloomberg would've won some states, especially NY, CT, NJ, and PA, but I feel Bloomberg just came too late and he wasted a lot of campaign money in the process.

I think there will be a few of the Bernie bros who will vote for Biden because of their deep-seated hatred of Trump but a lot of people aren't going for the "lesser of two evils" anymore, especially the black community because people feel that both parties haven't done anything to make their communities better, and even though Trump did reduce black unemployment, made generous overtures to the black community, and did his best to be cordial to the black community, I don't expect Trump to eradicate white supremacy, no president hasn't don't that not even Obama, and it can't happen as long as we're in the minority!!! The only way to evade and reduce white supremacy is we have no choice but to compete and open our own businesses, our institutions, and maintaining our own communities than relying on the local, state, and federal gov't for every damn thing!!!

Quote:
A lot of voters, black and white, are willing to discount Biden's gaffes because they know he is so prone to them.
Let's just hope that Biden does twice as better than Trump once the presidential debates begin this year. The coronavirus may be a blessing for Biden because he doesn't have to say too much to bring unwarranted attention to himself, but once the presidential debates begins and he has on too many gaffes, then the Democratic establishment should be kicking their own asses for not toughing it out with Sanders, a much superior debater than Biden.

Quote:
I'm one of those children of the Civil Rights Movement and benefited greatly from its achievements. I'm 61. You know, we Blacks usually show great respect for our elders.

I know that African-Americans are generally culturally conservative, but the Right has been waiting for them to vote their morality for decades with no success, and the younger crowd is not only not trending Right but also more sympathetic to LGBT rights, and not just politically. Many more younger Blacks have come out to their culturally conservative parents, and I characterize the mainstream reaction from their parents as, "Well, we really wish you hadn't, but we love you anyway." Sheesh, I came out to my parents back in the late 1970s and didn't get read out of the family, though I know from some things my brother said that my Dad had a harder time with it than he let on to me.(But then he told me some years after he died that he was actually somewhat bisexual. Go figure.) And many younger Blacks count openly LGBT Blacks among their friends. That too will influence their politics.
If you remember the hippies from the 1960's and the "Summer of Love" and how the ultra-liberal hippies turned into the conservative yuppies in the 1980's because they started to have children and families to take care of. After Trump is done as president (either this year or 2024, depending on how America votes), you'll probably see many people who were allied with BLM turn into yuppies and buppies, hipster and even bipsters (black hipsters) and this part of I'm Gonna Git You Sucka may be just as prophetic about the BLM marches (https://youtu.be/GNNBrimd5zs?t=89) than it was about today's women (https://youtu.be/ikqLKMZ86d8?t=60) and maybe even transgenderism (https://youtu.be/FOX4da4uqrQ?t=80)

Quote:
Again, I'm under 65, and I have no intention of retiring anytime soon (in my line of work, as long as your brain functions and you can still string sentences together, old age doesn't remove you from the labor force).

I do think you have a point about the historic bond between African-Americans and Democrats loosening, but I don't think the ties are fraying so much right now that you will see a shift to the Right among them.
I don't see Blacks leaving the Democrat party in large droves, but I see some sort of equalization between Democrats, Republicans, and even third parties among black voters, and it's going to be more regional, divided along the East Coast, the Midwest, the South, and the West Coast because the one size fits all strategy that the Democrat party is applying to Latinos, Asians, as well as black folks is failing and John James, a black Republican candidate for the US Senate in MI is proof of that.

You just can't run NY, Boston, and Philadelphia the same way you run SF and LA, and working in SF for two years, even SF and LA are completely different cities demographically and culturally.

Quote:
"I had no knowledge of his putting a bounty on the heads of American soldiers in the Middle East."

That's not "sympathizing," that's criminally negligent. There's plenty of intelligence out there that Putin is meddling with our election again, and Trump has been completely mum on this. Again, that goes beyond "sympathizing."
I'd rather just focus on domestic issues because that's Trump's strength, focusing on home first and I hate to say it, but that's one of his policies I agree with. I get tires of American being labeled "the policeman of the world" and the fact that we have a base in just about every corner of the world is going to bring America into ruin the same way the Roman Empire fell due to overexpansion of it's borders. And more than half of the American budget goes to defense, in which I believe it should be reduced to build infrastructure (roads, rail, mass transit, housing, water systems), education, industry, commerce, and finance.

Quote:
I should invoke Godwin's Law here but won't, especially since others in the anti-Trump camp have made the analogy.

You seem to have completely forgotten about the Republican NeverTrumpers, who have brought chunks of money to bear on the messages being sent out. They're about as ferociously anti-Trump as the Democrats are, and I'm pretty sure they won't stay home in November for the same reason most Democrats won't.
At the most, they'll probably put their own third party candidate (possibly a Libertarian) than go over the "dark side" and just vote Democrat. The Bu****es are more about Bush Sr and Jr's legacies than they are about the Republican Party, and last time I checked, the GOP party is more cohesive right now than the Democrat party at the moment, even Mitt Romney, who lets his distaste for Trump be well known, still votes mainly according to Trump's agenda for important issues.

Quote:
Now I'm sure you've been smoking something with that last sentence. Delaware elects Republicans, true, but not of the Trumpist variety; Democrats hold all four of the top statewide offices — Governor, Representative in Congress, both U.S. Senators — and Uncle Joe remains very popular in his home state. Every movement conservative who's sought statewide office in Delaware has failed to achieve it (the Du Ponts aren't "movement conservatives" but more in the Christie Whitman mold), and Trump has cast his lot with them.
You're forgetting that Trump was once a Democrat, which was the reason why he was able to reach blue collar and working class voters in OH, MI, WI, and right here in PA and almost snagged MN and NH. He also won the uneducated voters nationwide and don't forget, even though Hilary was striving to be the first female president, Trump won 60% of the female vote.

Trump isn't a true conservative like a Bob Dole, or a George Bush Sr, I see him as more between the mold of a Nelson Rockefeller and a Chris Christie, meaning he does have some liberal leanings on gay marriage and even the environment, and black issues depends on whether you like Trump or loathe him, but he's not a dyed in the wool conservative from AL and MS, but a populist-moderate who just so happens to be from NYC.

Biden, who considers himself a moderate, is leaning to the left because he's trying to recoup the under 30 vote as well as some of the Bernie bros, and Delaware isn't no liberal mecca ike SF, LA, or NYC, but it's a more moderate state which leans to the left and it's a give or take, but I'm still not sure whether Biden can have a hold in his home state if he continues with the gaffes or isn't coherent enough that Biden may not be the only one who'll lose the state, Sen Coons and Gov Carney, who're running in 2020 may be affected depending on how Biden does in the upcoming presidential debates.

Quote:
None of the three candidates is in robust health, Trump's braggadocio to the contrary notwithstanding. The high interest in Biden's VP pick is because it will be a signal of a possible future for the party. Usually, Veep deliberations don't garner that much advance buzz.
I'd rather Biden's VP pick be a national unknown like Stacey Abrams or, at the very least, Susan Rice. If he picks Kamala Harris for Vice President, I don't see him being taken seriously as a candidate. Kamala has problems of her own including lying about being the first black girl to desegregate a school, as well as arresting black single mothers for allowing truancy in Oakland schools. You can forget winning a Southern state (including VA), and it will be even tougher for Biden to win states like NJ, CT, ME, and NH. Biden is likable but every time I hear him speak, it's like he seems to be either forced to run from the Democrat establishment or he just doesn't have the energy to be our president, and losing your eldest son as well as your only daughter in a car crash in 1972, I feel it's a combination of all of them.

Quote:
Second item first: I'm not blaming the pandemic on Trump; I'm blaming our flat-footed response to it on him. He wasted valuable time belittling it and calling it a "hoax" designed to hurt his re-election chances (talk about self-centered!) as it was becoming clear that SARS-CoV-2 would make it to these shores, and as he was doing that, there was already much talk of the need to implement measures to keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed as happened in Italy (and it was that more virulent Italian strain that arrived on the East Coast, while the Pacific Coast got a less virulent strain from Asia first. The Italian strain has made its way across the country now, which is one reason why we're now seeing spikes in the Sunbelt and on the Pacific Coast again. The governors you mention at least took the threat seriously and moved to flatten the curves when the evidence suggested that would be necessary. And except in New York City, the curves did flatten.
There's just too many factors for me to say that it was Trump's fault. And Fauci seems too politically connected with the likes of the Clintons and Bill Gates and why would a computer nerd like Gates be in the business of medicine. The more I hear about the vaccine and the microchip, the more I stay away from the politics and the MSM and I just feel that this quarantine was just a way to depress the American economy, as well as to make Americans homeless and unemployed. I would've been working in SF by now but CA has rising COVID-19 cases and for my health I can't go and had to file unemployment in CA because of it. It's no fun, and I can only hope that COVID-19 leaves ASAP for our sights. I'm not here to be a conspiracist but there's just too much funny stuff with this quarantine and this upcoming vaccine and I'm not taking the bait on this one.

Quote:
No, none of those governors executed perfectly, either. But at least they executed and took responsibility. Trump did neither until it was too late, and he's still reluctant to take responsibility for any of his actions.

Now to the first item: Okay, so you don't like ***** folk. We're not going anywhere, and we're Black too. Get Used to It. Even Trump's two appointees to the Supreme Court voted in favor of an opinion the Chief Justice wrote that said that the sex-discrimination provisions of the Equal Employment Opportunity Act included sexual orientation.
Just so you know, I'm black of Caribbean descent, too. So I don't know what you're referring about, but blaming Trump for every little thing won't help the Democrats win the WH with a 77-year old who looks like he's on his last legs and an unknown female Vice President who I'm hoping it's not Kamala Harris. But ever since Trump was elected in 2016 and didn't even get inaugurated into office in 2017, many people wanted to impeach Trump and it wasn't black folks from Philadelphia, NYC, Chicago, Detroit, and Atlanta saying this but white folks from Portland.

Until we legislate, not investigate a la Ed Rendell (https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/ed-r...gate-legislate), the Democrat party is going to go on a very slippery slope to irrelevancy!!!

Old 07-30-2020, 06:44 PM

325 posts, read 369,013 times
Out of curiosity, what’s the ratio of political signs that folks are seeing in PA? I’m not seeing anything much yet which is odd.

Old 07-30-2020, 07:22 PM

837 posts, read 855,426 times
Put a fork in it: https://youtu.be/91ohifzjk1M

Old 07-30-2020, 08:13 PM

14,186 posts, read 9,080,000 times
You've written a cogent and thoughtful response, one that I agree with in part and disagree with in part, so I'll do my best to give this the response it deserves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Just that amount alone will make the Democrat establishment crap their pants. President Trump doesn't even have to win the black vote. I do see him winning the Latino vote and maybe even the Asian vote because both groups have a lot of businesses and if he wins both the Asian and Latino votes, then the Democrat party really needs to be fully drained and refilled with more moderate, populist, and even some conservative Democrats, and that's the reason why Hilary lost WI, MI, OH, and PA and almost lost NH and MN because the Democrats lost those working class and blue collar votes to Trump and history will repeat itself except it's going to be a more Mondalesque type of loss because nobody's motivated by Biden. (https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...yed-home-costi)
Trump's championing of that border wall will keep a good chunk of Hispanic voters who might otherwise have voted for him from doing so. Because of that, I wouldn't bet on him winning the Hispanic vote.

But there's also that same paradox that we witness among Blacks: Hispanics are also conservative culturally, but they too don't vote their morality.

Quote:
I personally feel that if the presidency was really a major deal and that Trump was such a racist, a narcissist, a homophobe, and a xenophobe, then the Democrat establishment should've dug it's heels and allowed Sanders to fairly go toe to toe with Biden. Had Klobuchar not suspended her race, she would've won MN (and maybe WI, ND, and SD handedly), and it would've been even more interesting had Buttigieg stayed in the race and won his home state of IN (I give the man some credit for winning the delegate count in IA). Had both of those factors happened, it would've complicated Biden's chances of securing the Democrat nomination, and maybe Bloomberg would've won some states, especially NY, CT, NJ, and PA, but I feel Bloomberg just came too late and he wasted a lot of campaign money in the process.
Actually, truth to tell, Trump isn't that much of a homophobe; he was pretty pro-LGBT when he was merely a New York developer and reality-TV star. But his base in the GOP includes the Judgmentalist Christians, so he has to toss them some chum (though their willingness to overlook his own more serious moral transgressions because he's delivering the political stuff they want just shows once again what hypocrites they are).

You can find plenty of evidence of Trump's bigotry in his past; The Atlantic presented lots of documentary evidence late last summer, and his real estate firm has entered into consent decrees based on rather extensive testimony the FBI collected about the Trump Organization's rental practices. Granted, the company admitted no wrongdoing, which ultimately led to a consent decree, but I doubt that what got reported in both The Atlantic and this Business Insider article was made up.

As for narcissism, well, his niece Mary put together a rather damning account of it in her recently released book. Most politicians have this trait to a greater or lesser degree, but he has it to an extreme degree. Consider today: while the country, including all three of his living predecessors, were paying final respects to John Lewis, he calls a hasty press conference to get on center stage (none had been planned for this day).

Quote:
I think there will be a few of the Bernie bros who will vote for Biden because of their deep-seated hatred of Trump but a lot of people aren't going for the "lesser of two evils" anymore, especially the black community because people feel that both parties haven't done anything to make their communities better, and even though Trump did reduce black unemployment, made generous overtures to the black community, and did his best to be cordial to the black community, I don't expect Trump to eradicate white supremacy, no president hasn't don't that not even Obama, and it can't happen as long as we're in the minority!!! The only way to evade and reduce white supremacy is we have no choice but to compete and open our own businesses, our institutions, and maintaining our own communities than relying on the local, state, and federal gov't for every damn thing!!!
You're right on that last part, but we're not there yet. I think, however, that you might be surprised to find left-of-center Blacks who also believe that we should be forming and supporting more businesses.

And I think that more than "a few" Berniecrats will pull the lever (or punch the button) for Biden this fall. Polls show that something like 75 percent of Democrats agree with the statement that removing Trump from office is the most important task at hand this November.

Quote:
Let's just hope that Biden does twice as better than Trump once the presidential debates begin this year. The coronavirus may be a blessing for Biden because he doesn't have to say too much to bring unwarranted attention to himself, but once the presidential debates begins and he has on too many gaffes, then the Democratic establishment should be kicking their own asses for not toughing it out with Sanders, a much superior debater than Biden.
What Biden had been doing up until this week is following the old political maxim, "If your opponent is busy destroying himself, don't get in the way."

But you and I both know he can't just do that all the way to November. So he has been raising his profile and offering people reasons to actually vote for him.

Your point about the debates below, however, is well taken.

Quote:
If you remember the hippies from the 1960's and the "Summer of Love" and how the ultra-liberal hippies turned into the conservative yuppies in the 1980's because they started to have children and families to take care of. After Trump is done as president (either this year or 2024, depending on how America votes), you'll probably see many people who were allied with BLM turn into yuppies and buppies, hipster and even bipsters (black hipsters) and this part of I'm Gonna Git You Sucka may be just as prophetic about the BLM marches (https://youtu.be/GNNBrimd5zs?t=89) than it was about today's women (https://youtu.be/ikqLKMZ86d8?t=60) and maybe even transgenderism (https://youtu.be/FOX4da4uqrQ?t=80)
Those hippies may have gotten more conservative, but they didn't all become Republicans. If they were college-educated, some of them became Democrats anyway.

"I'm Gonna Git You Sucka" was funny as hell. But I don't see what that middle clip says about women today.

Quote:
I don't see Blacks leaving the Democrat party in large droves, but I see some sort of equalization between Democrats, Republicans, and even third parties among black voters, and it's going to be more regional, divided along the East Coast, the Midwest, the South, and the West Coast because the one size fits all strategy that the Democrat party is applying to Latinos, Asians, as well as black folks is failing and John James, a black Republican candidate for the US Senate in MI is proof of that.

You just can't run NY, Boston, and Philadelphia the same way you run SF and LA, and working in SF for two years, even SF and LA are completely different cities demographically and culturally.
"I belong to no organized political party. I am a Democrat." --Will Rogers

Yes, they are, and New York isn't Philadelphia either. Yet Democrats govern all five cities.

The interesting thing is, based on what I see happening here, there is a sort of convergence taking place among urban Democratic electorates.

Quote:
I'd rather just focus on domestic issues because that's Trump's strength, focusing on home first and I hate to say it, but that's one of his policies I agree with. I get tires of American being labeled "the policeman of the world" and the fact that we have a base in just about every corner of the world is going to bring America into ruin the same way the Roman Empire fell due to overexpansion of it's borders. And more than half of the American budget goes to defense, in which I believe it should be reduced to build infrastructure (roads, rail, mass transit, housing, water systems), education, industry, commerce, and finance.
I actually have no problem with your spending priorities here, either.

But Trump came into office talking a great infrastructure game. Once in, however, he didn't even bother to follow through.

Quote:
At the most, they'll probably put their own third party candidate (possibly a Libertarian) than go over the "dark side" and just vote Democrat. The Bu****es are more about Bush Sr and Jr's legacies than they are about the Republican Party, and last time I checked, the GOP party is more cohesive right now than the Democrat party at the moment, even Mitt Romney, who lets his distaste for Trump be well known, still votes mainly according to Trump's agenda for important issues.
And Mitt Romney was also the lone Republican to vote to impeach the President. I doubt he will then vote for him come November.

I maintain that there are some things more important than policy to deal with this time. Trump has done several things I even approve of, like the First Step Act and the recent executive order elevating job skills over educational credentials when considering candidates for Federal employment. But I consider his character so defective and his integrity so lacking that were he still a Democrat and holding this office, I'd vote him out just as quickly.

The Libertarians already have a candidate; she doesn't have the name recognition former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson had four years ago and won't pick up as many votes. But given that, I don't think the NeverTrumpers will field a third-party candidate. They're going to be more like my ex, slowly but quietly coming around to accept the idea of voting for Biden. Carly Fiorina, the HP CEO who ran for the GOP nomination for President herself, has already said to a reporter that since the choice in any American election is ultimately a binary one, she will be voting for Biden come fall. The same logic that is already driving Bermiecrats to vote for Biden will send NeverTrumpers in the same direction.

Which, btw, is why the Democratic Establishment pretty much fell into line behind Biden once the Black voters of South Carolina gave them permission to do so. I think that any Democrat would have been able to win without adding some of those disaffected Republicans to their electoral coalition, and while that crowd might vote for Biden through clenched teeth, they sure as hell wouldn't vote for a self-described socialist.

Quote:
You're forgetting that Trump was once a Democrat, which was the reason why he was able to reach blue collar and working class voters in OH, MI, WI, and right here in PA and almost snagged MN and NH. He also won the uneducated voters nationwide and don't forget, even though Hilary was striving to be the first female president, Trump won 60% of the female vote.

Trump isn't a true conservative like a Bob Dole, or a George Bush Sr, I see him as more between the mold of a Nelson Rockefeller and a Chris Christie, meaning he does have some liberal leanings on gay marriage and even the environment, and black issues depends on whether you like Trump or loathe him, but he's not a dyed in the wool conservative from AL and MS, but a populist-moderate who just so happens to be from NYC.
Agreed with that second boldfaced statement — he's more of a right-populist. But Nelson Rockefeller? You've just inadvertently touched on one of Trump's insecurities: He wanted to be accepted as part of New York's elite society, but that society snubbed him.

And — Attica notwithstanding — Nelson Rockefeller was a good bit more liberal than Trump is now.

Quote:
Biden, who considers himself a moderate, is leaning to the left because he's trying to recoup the under 30 vote as well as some of the Bernie bros, and Delaware isn't no liberal mecca ike SF, LA, or NYC, but it's a more moderate state which leans to the left and it's a give or take, but I'm still not sure whether Biden can have a hold in his home state if he continues with the gaffes or isn't coherent enough that Biden may not be the only one who'll lose the state, Sen Coons and Gov Carney, who're running in 2020 may be affected depending on how Biden does in the upcoming presidential debates.

I'd rather Biden's VP pick be a national unknown like Stacey Abrams or, at the very least, Susan Rice. If he picks Kamala Harris for Vice President, I don't see him being taken seriously as a candidate. Kamala has problems of her own including lying about being the first black girl to desegregate a school, as well as arresting black single mothers for allowing truancy in Oakland schools. You can forget winning a Southern state (including VA), and it will be even tougher for Biden to win states like NJ, CT, ME, and NH. Biden is likable but every time I hear him speak, it's like he seems to be either forced to run from the Democrat establishment or he just doesn't have the energy to be our president, and losing your eldest son as well as your only daughter in a car crash in 1972, I feel it's a combination of all of them.
My point about Biden was that Delawareans have already taken the markdown on his gaffes. Those won't faze them going into November.

I would like him to pick Stacey Abrams myself. I think she has a promising future and would also take the party in a good direction.

Quote:
There's just too many factors for me to say that it was Trump's fault. And Fauci seems too politically connected with the likes of the Clintons and Bill Gates and why would a computer nerd like Gates be in the business of medicine. The more I hear about the vaccine and the microchip, the more I stay away from the politics and the MSM and I just feel that this quarantine was just a way to depress the American economy, as well as to make Americans homeless and unemployed. I would've been working in SF by now but CA has rising COVID-19 cases and for my health I can't go and had to file unemployment in CA because of it. It's no fun, and I can only hope that COVID-19 leaves ASAP for our sights. I'm not here to be a conspiracist but there's just too much funny stuff with this quarantine and this upcoming vaccine and I'm not taking the bait on this one.
I really don't think anyone would deliberately put the economy in a coma just for the hell of it. We all heard what happened in Italy, we had no defenses in place, Trump had disbanded the CDC pandemic planning team his predecessor established, and he was busy pooh-poohing the pandemic as it was headed this way. While he was doing that, we should have been getting testing and contact tracing ready to roll. Instead, we didn't.

Those overloaded hospitals in New York City were stage props, then? The whole point of the lockdowns was not so much to save lives as to keep the hospitals from filling with patients. Outside of New York City, they worked.

Maybe we could have flattened the curves without shutting down the economy, but given what was happening in Europe at the time, "an abundance of caution" I think was defensible.

Quote:
Just so you know, I'm black of Caribbean descent, too. So I don't know what you're referring about, but blaming Trump for every little thing won't help the Democrats win the WH with a 77-year old who looks like he's on his last legs and an unknown female Vice President who I'm hoping it's not Kamala Harris. But ever since Trump was elected in 2016 and didn't even get inaugurated into office in 2017, many people wanted to impeach Trump and it wasn't black folks from Philadelphia, NYC, Chicago, Detroit, and Atlanta saying this but white folks from Portland.

Until we legislate, not investigate a la Ed Rendell (https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/ed-r...gate-legislate), the Democrat party is going to go on a very slippery slope to irrelevancy!!!
The word that got auto-censored begins with Q and ends with R. If you go back and read the post I was responding to, you should be able to figure out what set me off. Depending on where in the Caribbean your family hailed from, they could have absorbed Jamaican levels of homophobia or Trinidadian tolerance — there's a wide spectrum of attitudes towards LGBT folk in the Caribbean, from what I can tell. My response there had nothing at all to do with Trump and everything to do with the person I was responding to. Not only did Trump's two appointees join the liberals and Chief Justice Roberts in the opinion that the title of the Civil Rights Act prohibiting discrimination based on sex covered sexual orientation too, but Trump's response to the ruling was very equaniminous — had he truly been opposed to LGBT folks, his response would have been more like one of his Tweets.

Um, in that article, Gov. Rendell didn't say the Dems shouldn't investigate the President. On the contrary, he said they should dig into as much of his dealings as possible aside from those Robert Mueller was already looking into. What he did say was that that the Democrats shouldn't be doing that and nothing else. He thought there were opportunities to work with Trump and get some things done across the aisle. They did indeed not take that advice.

What do you mean Trump "didn't get inaugurated into office in 2017"? He absolutely did, and claimed the crowd that came to witness was the largest ever, despite photographic evidence from Barack Obama's first inauguration that put the lie to that claim. No, the average black voter wasn't clamoring for Trump's head on a pike, and I even made statements saying I though impeaching Trump unwise —*not because he had done nothing impeachable (he had) but because he would never get convicted in the Senate, and after surviving, Trump would claim it as proof he was innocent (which he did). Nancy Pelosi also tried to keep the hounds at bay for as long as she could, but the cries from the firebrands became too strong after the Ukraine phone call broke to continue resisting.

One of Trump's other problems is that he shoots from the lip way too much. I think people are now seeing that first hand in a way they hadn't before, and the fence-sitters don't like what they see. If Biden can give them a reason to vote for him and not just against Trump, those fence-sitters are his.

Old 07-30-2020, 08:58 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,603,469 times
I guess I just don't understand why folks even think about bringing up Biden "gaffes" in defense of Trump.

Did we forget about the part where Donnie proudly explained he was super on board with sexual assault, or where he completely demeaned a disabled reporter? The man is a walking case of verbal diarrhea.

I also literally don't understand how racial minorities could see any hope in the Republican Party; it's proven itself over and over again in that it couldn't two ***** about the advancement of people of color. Hell, look at Trump's latest thinly-veiled racial dog whistle about how the Democrats will "destroy the beautiful suburbs" with more high-density housing, or how he'll send federal forces to the "inner city" on a moment's notice.

I mean, really, is it 1968? I can't think of a President in modern history who has been more desperate for a race war.

Not to say the Democrats have been absolutely perfect in that regard, but at least their party actually reflects racial diversity and human dignity.

Last edited by Duderino; 07-30-2020 at 09:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania