Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2020, 12:43 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghSportsGuy420 View Post
Trump is not a conservative. He is a Trumpist. He wants whatever is good for him.

He was a registered Democrat until 2008 (wonder what happened that year), and his politics all his life have been completely malleable depending on what the situation is.

The man exhibits no traditional conservative values. He's cheated everyone he's ever done business with, has five children to three different women, and has bragged on the record about committing sexual assault.
Which is why I find it mind-boggling that there are many conservatives claiming him for their own.

And especially that the "character counts" crowd among the conservative evangelicals seems to have tossed its concerns about personal morality out the window.

The even more interesting thing: His Supreme Court appointees are proving to be small-c conservatives in the tradition of other Supreme Court appointees named to the High Court by Republicans. And by "small-c" I mean that they have that same respect for stare decisis and the checks and balances written into the Constitution that Justices left and right have had for many, many years. It takes an awful lot for a Supreme Court majority to overturn a precedent set by a prior Court. (One of the more recent times this happened was with Brown v. Board of Education in 1954, which did overturn Plessy v. Ferguson. I can't think of a similar case since. Expanding rights found in the Consitution or legislation beyond what had been commonly understood boundaries is not the same thing, and that's happened a lot, including one of the decisions handed down this Court term.)

Old 07-20-2020, 02:06 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,633,538 times
Quote:
Trump is not a conservative. He is a Trumpist. He wants whatever is good for him.

He was a registered Democrat until 2008 (wonder what happened that year), and his politics all his life have been completely malleable depending on what the situation is.

The man exhibits no traditional conservative values. He's cheated everyone he's ever done business with, has five children to three different women, and has bragged on the record about committing sexual assault.
Ronald Reagan also used to be a democrat before he became US president, and he was the BEST president ever if you ask me. It is not only about the party, I look at the candidate personally and see if he stands by my views. I LOVE Trump. Just to let you know I did NOT vote for John McCain in 2008, I actually voted for Obama for a number of reasons. Not that I had any respect for him, but I didn't like McCain and kind of felt that if we got a democrat in (specifically a black guy), hopefully a stronger republican candidate that had more of my views could run and beat Obama in 2012. Unfortunately Romney failed, although I didn't really like him much either, but I DID vote for Romney in 2012. I voted for Rick Santorum in the 2012 primary though.

Old 07-20-2020, 02:09 PM

806 posts, read 260,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Ronald Reagan also used to be a democrat before he became US president, and he was the BEST president ever if you ask me. It is not only about the party, I look at the candidate personally and see if he stands by my views. I LOVE Trump. Just to let you know I did NOT vote for John McCain in 2008, I actually voted for Obama for a number of reasons. Not that I had any respect for him, but I didn't like McCain and kind of felt that if we got a democrat in (specifically a black guy), hopefully a stronger republican candidate that had more of my views could run and beat Obama in 2012. Unfortunately Romney failed, although I didn't really like him much either, but I DID vote for Romney in 2012. I voted for Rick Santorum in the 2012 primary though.
Trump is corrupt to the core, morally bankrupt, and dumber than a box of rocks.

He's antithetical to any traditional conservative principle imaginable and I find it positively stunning that the party of "traditional morality" loves the guy so much.

He's not even a good businessman. Without his daddy's money, he'd just be another racist uncle posting on Facebook.

Revanchists love the guy because he hates the same people they hate. That's repugnant but at least it's understandable. People who claim to stand for Christian values or conservative integrity flocking to the man is utterly bizarre.

Old 07-20-2020, 02:33 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Trump is corrupt to the core, morally bankrupt, and dumber than a box of rocks.

He's antithetical to any traditional conservative principle imaginable and I find it positively stunning that the party of "traditional morality" loves the guy so much.

He's not even a good businessman. Without his daddy's money, he'd just be another racist uncle posting on Facebook.

Revanchists love the guy because he hates the same people they hate. That's repugnant but at least it's understandable. People who claim to stand for Christian values or conservative integrity flocking to the man is utterly bizarre.
That's all true, but in spite of that the country was doing quite well before COVID. He's a useful idiot, people would prefer a more competent person but where are all the competent people? Politics today is so toxic that it keeps away any decent people

Old 07-20-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
That's all true, but in spite of that the country was doing quite well before COVID. He's a useful idiot, people would prefer a more competent person but where are all the competent people? Politics today is so toxic that it keeps away any decent people
The stock market is not the economy. The regulatory rollbacks of the last four years and the gutting of the federal government, in particular the state department, will take years to fix.

Right now pork is not being meaningfully inspected because the USDA removed meat inspectors from the evisceration section of lines, let processors run lines as fast as they’d like, and permitted them to self-certify that their product is safe, for instance.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...under-n1097676

I hope you don’t mind a little pig feces with your pork chops or bacon.

That’s just one example of the changes made over the past four years that will have a lasting negative impact on Americans. “Burdensome regulations” are frequently there to protect you.

Old 07-20-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
The stock market is not the economy.
Of course not, but the job market sure is. Black people had the best job market in history before COVID hit

Best African-American Job Market on Record
http://archive.vn/6V1mU

Old 07-20-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Of course not, but the job market sure is. Black people had the best job market in history before COVID hit

Best African-American Job Market on Record
http://archive.vn/6V1mU
Service industry jobs aren't jobs that permit a lot of room for advancement regardless of how many there are, and an employment market that gets annihilated by a pandemic like that isn't much of an employment market to begin with.

Show me a president who knocks down barriers to higher employment for African Americans by abolishing barriers to higher education and segregation in primary education, not a president who facilitates low wage service jobs.

"More crappy jobs" isn't exactly a bragging point.

Old 07-20-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Service industry jobs aren't jobs that permit a lot of room for advancement regardless of how many there are, and an employment market that gets annihilated by a pandemic like that isn't much of an employment market to begin with.

Show me a president who knocks down barriers to higher employment for African Americans by abolishing barriers to higher education and segregation in primary education, not a president who facilitates low wage service jobs.

What sort of job do you think someone can work without an advanced degree? Those jobs are typically available at any time in the modern US. It's the people without the skills that need more general opportunity, otherwise they need a lot more specialized training

Old 07-20-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
What sort of job do you think someone can work without an advanced degree? Those jobs are typically available at any time in the modern US. It's the people without the skills that need more general opportunity, otherwise they need a lot more specialized training
Which is why I said I'd like to see a president who tears down those barriers to advanced training or degrees for African Americans, instead of a president who brags about a record number of crappy jobs.

(My current job started at $45 an hour and I have a two year degree. Then again, I'm not subject to institutionalized racism or culturally expected to work in service industry jobs. Odd how that works.)

Old 07-20-2020, 03:52 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:

Quote:
There are a few things I give Trump credit for. One is the First Step Act. Another is his recent executive order directing Federal agencies to give job skills more weight than educational credentials in filling positions.

One of the differences between now and the 1950s is that the number of paths to upward mobility for those without college degrees has shrunk dramatically.

Not everyone was meant to attend college. As I put it elsewhere recently, some people's intelligence resides more in their hands than in their heads, and those people also deserve paths into the upper middle class that make use of their strengths. At least Trump gave this issue lip service, which is more than most politicians have given it of late.

That doesn't mean your point is invalid, however, PghSportsGuy420.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania