Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2023, 05:29 AM

386 posts, read 267,183 times

Advertisements

The signs for Mejuri on Walnut Street are in the windows now so that should be opening soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2023, 11:43 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Great to see a temporary use for this site!

A beer garden will open on one of Center City Philadelphia’s fanciest blocks, near Rittenhouse Square
https://www.inquirer.com/food/bars/b...-20230428.html

A family-friendly beer garden will spring up this summer on the 1700 block of Walnut Street, the former site of three buildings destroyed by fire during the unrest in May 2020 and a posh shopping stretch off of Rittenhouse Square.

Hornik said the beer garden, so far lacking a name, would run this summer and possibly in subsequent years as the developer moves forward with plans for a residential high-rise building with ground-floor retail on the site at 1706, 1708, and 1710 Walnut St. Plans have not even been submitted to the city, and such a project could have a substantial lead time in today’s climate.

Old 05-10-2023, 06:20 AM

1,026 posts, read 448,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Great to see a temporary use for this site!

A beer garden will open on one of Center City Philadelphia’s fanciest blocks, near Rittenhouse Square
https://www.inquirer.com/food/bars/b...-20230428.html

A family-friendly beer garden will spring up this summer on the 1700 block of Walnut Street, the former site of three buildings destroyed by fire during the unrest in May 2020 and a posh shopping stretch off of Rittenhouse Square.

Hornik said the beer garden, so far lacking a name, would run this summer and possibly in subsequent years as the developer moves forward with plans for a residential high-rise building with ground-floor retail on the site at 1706, 1708, and 1710 Walnut St. Plans have not even been submitted to the city, and such a project could have a substantial lead time in today’s climate.
It's a start, even if it's a beer garden. Drunks to roam on our posh Walnut Street shopping district. Much rather have seen a ''pop-up'' retail site here. The Floyd Effect keeps on giving.

I did see the ''hole'' being filled-in recently which in of itself is a good thing. Nothing, even a high-rise residential building will sufficiently replace what was lost on this site.

Old 05-10-2023, 06:56 AM

14,198 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
It's a start, even if it's a beer garden. Drunks to roam on our posh Walnut Street shopping district. Much rather have seen a ''pop-up'' retail site here. The Floyd Effect keeps on giving.

I did see the ''hole'' being filled-in recently which in of itself is a good thing. Nothing, even a high-rise residential building will sufficiently replace what was lost on this site.
Oh, I think a high-rise residential tower will sufficiently replace what got destroyed, and it's only a matter of time before that site gets one. It must have retail or restaurant space on the Walnut Street side of the street floor, though.

Though it may be a long time. Consider how many years passed between the fire that destroyed the Eric Rittenhouse Square theaters and the building between them and the opening of The Laurel/1909 Rittenhouse.

Old 05-10-2023, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Oh, I think a high-rise residential tower will sufficiently replace what got destroyed, and it's only a matter of time before that site gets one. It must have retail or restaurant space on the Walnut Street side of the street floor, though.

Though it may be a long time. Consider how many years passed between the fire that destroyed the Eric Rittenhouse Square theaters and the building between them and the opening of The Laurel/1909 Rittenhouse.
Sorry, but they don't make 19th Century structures such as the ones that went up in flames for no reason anymore. Of course any new building will sufficiently replace a hole in the ground on our mediocre shopping street.

Expect a long time before anything goes up here given the multiple forces at work today. If the time span for the Laural going up is the basis, enjoy the beer garden on Walnut Street for the next 20+ years or so.

Old 05-10-2023, 07:32 AM

Target at 1128 Chestnut block is closing 5/13.

The CVS at 11th/South Street closing 5/23.

Any update on a replacement for the Marshall's on Market Street? When its closing was announced, an unnamed national chain was supposed to be going in there.

Old 05-10-2023, 08:29 AM

14,198 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Sorry, but they don't make 19th Century structures such as the ones that went up in flames for no reason anymore. Of course any new building will sufficiently replace a hole in the ground on our mediocre shopping street.

Expect a long time before anything goes up here given the multiple forces at work today. If the time span for the Laural going up is the basis, enjoy the beer garden on Walnut Street for the next 20+ years or so.
Sorry, wasn't thinking about the architecture. Point taken.

Old 05-10-2023, 08:49 AM

1,697 posts, read 973,987 times
Quote:

You say "drunks to roam on our posh Walnut Street shopping district" as if its a bad thing. lol.

Let's not let good be the enemy of great. Anything is better than the overgrown, trash-strewn hole that it was. I, for one, am psyched for this.

Old 05-10-2023, 09:22 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
You say "drunks to roam on our posh Walnut Street shopping district" as if its a bad thing. lol.

Let's not let good be the enemy of great. Anything is better than the overgrown, trash-strewn hole that it was. I, for one, am psyched for this.
And this won't result in "drunks" roaming the street. It's an outdoor bar with snacks, not a frat house.

I also don't find Walnut Street to be mediocre. It's not 5th Avenue, but still a big step up from mediocre.

Old 05-10-2023, 02:55 PM

3 posts, read 1,006 times
Quote:
Target at 1128 Chestnut block is closing 5/13.

The CVS at 11th/South Street closing 5/23.

Any update on a replacement for the Marshall's on Market Street? When its closing was announced, an unnamed national chain was supposed to be going in there.
I've been closely watching for any news about the Marshalls. I have yet to see anything and no work is visible at the site yet. The good news is it's not being publicly leased/advertised yet, so they're probably still involved in some negotiations.

Any ideas on the Target/PetSmart site? To the best of my knowledge, the PetSmart site is still vacant 3+ years after it closed, which is directly below the now-closing Target. At the start of the year, Target got some permits for work and the primary contractor that does work for them all over the country listed a new project at this store on their website. This led me to wonder if they were potentially expanding into the basement, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I just find it odd they've seemingly made no effort to fill the vacant PetSmart and have yet to publicly start leasing the Target. Even if PetSmart still had a lease I would expect them to at least advertise a sub-lease.

I'm hopeful something is going on behind the scenes at this Target site that will quickly lead to it being filled.

On a similar note, I'm amazed at how many stores CVS as well as Walgreens and Rite Aid keep closing. They announced this years ago but it's unfortunate that these corner stores are no longer available, despite how expensive they were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia