Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2015, 07:17 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times

Advertisements

^you do realize that Aramark put millions up front for this event and probably made out pretty good. Also Wawa probably made some amazing numbers at their new store. Stinks for the restaurants if they ordered 3 days worth of perishables for no reason, but honestly operating costs are a lot different for a restaurant than a business closing down and usually only fast food operates on low profit margins. I don't really feel like writing it out but literally nothing is really lost except for the tips of the workers, who are probably working multiple jobs anyway if they are having trouble making ends meet. Spruce Harbor Park was a smash hit again, The park is only seasonal and ran by the city so it definitely has a fixed operating budget. I am sure they don't mind a quite end to the season.

http://www.worldmeeting2015.org/worl...t-merchandise/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 07:25 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
^you do realize that Aramark put millions up front for this event and probably made out pretty good. Also Wawa probably made some amazing numbers at their new store. Stinks for the restaurants if they ordered 3 days worth of perishables for no reason, but honestly operating costs are a lot different for a restaurant than a business closing down and usually only fast food operates on low profit margins. I don't really feel like writing it out but literally nothing is really lost except for the tips of the workers, who are probably working multiple jobs anyway if they are having trouble making ends meet. Spruce Harbor Park was a smash hit again, The park is only seasonal and ran by the city so it definitely has a fixed operating budget. I am sure they don't mind a quite end to the season.

World Meeting of Families
I am aware of all of this. Doesn't change the fact that I'd still be interested in seeing how everything affected the local businesses. I spoke to several employees at SSHP tonight and they all were bummed it was so dead for closing day. Your comment about servers is pretty ignorant, so I'm not even going to address that.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:39 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
I haven't read through the recent posts, but I was stuck here for this weekend and I have to say the city did a very good job with the event. The security was on point, every precaution was taken, and all of the security was very polite and helpful. I know restaurants didn't make out as planned, but many of the visitors coming here were in town strictly for the pope and religious reasons and probably weren't looking/did not have the funds to go to a high-end restaurant.

I had fun walking down the center of the streets with no cars, and walking on the Ben Franklin was an awesome experience. And I was able to go to El Vez without a reservation . Overall great weekend, Philly definitely did a world class job at hosting the event.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:04 PM

386 posts, read 265,768 times
What a wonderful event for the city. The people complaining are being shortsighted. Any business that lost money will make it up three fold after people visiting or watching on tv saw the city and will come back.
The backdrop of the Art Museum and the aerial shots were stunning.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:38 AM

236 posts, read 318,965 times
What a great weekend for the city, those that live here, and visitors. The streets in Center City were electric with all the energy from the pedestrians, bikers, and skateboarders. People were more friendly than I've ever seen them. It did take longer to get around, but it was so relaxing. It's very unfortunate the city scared so many into leaving town, because it was a weekend those of us who experienced it will not forget soon. It's a pity the city and septa were so overly conservative and put out such bad PR, that's really what hit the local businesses so hard.

All of the visitors I spoke to were highly complementary of the city. Philadelphia is criminally underrated throughout the country (including here). The positive press can only help the city.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:39 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post

The big take away is that Philadelphian's themselves weren't there filling up the streets in center city like usual..
I said pretty much the same thing upthread but I got berated by someone who didn't like the fact that it angered me that more Phildelphians chose not to be here. It still angers me.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:56 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I said pretty much the same thing upthread but I got berated by someone who didn't like the fact that it angered me that more Phildelphians chose not to be here. It still angers me.
I think the issue with what you said is that you were claiming all these people were being Negadelphians, which is not the case. Nutter scared everyone away very early on when they announced all the crazy security restrictions. He had been doing damage control closer to the event with the "I'll be there" and "Open in PHL" campaigns but it was way too late at that point. And besides, this entire weekend was catering to the visitors, NOT the people that live here. I was originally planning on getting out of town but decided not to because I didn't want to take several vacation days.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:18 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
I am glad I stayed An amzing weekend and got to see the pope twice!

The city looked great and the crowds yesterday were amazing

The night parade was stunning

I think th city shinned and to those who fled, you missed a once in a lifetime experience. I spoke to so many from accross the country and the world and they loved the city and the people

I only wish I could do my morning bike rides with no traffice everyday

Also to the National gaurd and all others job well done they were curtesy and engaging, albeit bored many times

what a memoriable weekend and I must say I have a renewed interest in this pope - he is a people person

Old 09-28-2015, 08:12 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Press coverage that I saw was all positive for Philadelphia. It should help to bring tourists.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:21 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I think the issue with what you said is that you were claiming all these people were being Negadelphians, which is not the case. Nutter scared everyone away very early on when they announced all the crazy security restrictions. He had been doing damage control closer to the event with the "I'll be there" and "Open in PHL" campaigns but it was way too late at that point. And besides, this entire weekend was catering to the visitors, NOT the people that live here. I was originally planning on getting out of town but decided not to because I didn't want to take several vacation days.
This. And for those of us who live beyond greater Center City, there was no easy way for us to get Downtown anyway, which many of us otherwise greatly enjoy on the weekends.

I have no problem with the Pope, but he doesn't interest me personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia