Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2015, 07:14 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,227,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I'm starting to wonder when, if ever, this massive influx of people is going to happen. Sounds like the restaurants downtown are hurting for customers and I-95 is traffic-free.
Market East was absolutely hopping today - from about 12th to City Hall - Arch to Chestnut. Like Flower Show hopping, just crowds of people around the convention center.

Didn't really see many other crowds though.

Regional rail was pretty really bad today - weekend schedule plus big crowds between those that did have to work and those coming downtown for usual friday stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 09:42 PM

26 posts, read 27,637 times
Default Is it just me or is the SEPTA website pathetic?

I will preface this with: I'm a surbanite and can count on one hand the number of times I've taken a SEPTA anything in my life. I'm not a public transit hater, just very infrequently go into the city or use it in the burbs. I'd like to try it for the Papal Visit and here's my experience so far:

At first I was going to use the Regional Rail to 30th Street. I didn't like that inbound trains stopped at noon and that they were funneling people to stations with no parking plan. It seems like they could have coordinated parking with big business parks along the line. I'm pretty sure tomorrow I will see a lot of mostly empty lots with NO PAPAL PARKING signs. I didn't buy originally then I wasn't clear on "What Next?" after the passes didn't sell out. You couldn't buy them online anymore, I don't believe.

So then I'm thinking NHSL. That could work, with stops at Gulph Mills and Villanova. "Click here for more information". But there's no more information, just an address. Is parking is available, do they accept cash on the train, how much, etc. Nothing.

How about the bus? Maybe I'll take my local bus to the El to 30th Street. No parking worries, I can walk to a bus stop. What's the bus number? Fare? Schedule? Will they accept my tokens I have from 1982? I click on the SEPTA Map and all that is available is a Regional Rail/Train map. I assume the busses are running?

Thanks for HIDING ALL THAT INFO SEPTA! How abot a FAQ for getting from the suburbs into town?

I will hang out at my local bus stop tomorrow and hopefully I'll get there. I hope they run a better transit system than a website.

God Speed Septa!

Old 09-26-2015, 04:04 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,227,311 times
SEPTA has had an incredibly comprehensive and well organized FAQ up on their website for weeks, with new updates being highlighted. And now their website is entirely devoted to it. SEPTA Papal Visit

You're right about a lot of the other stuff - people are being funneled into a very few stations and mostly being told parking your car isn't viable.

NHSL also required a special papal pass.

Some buses are running, some aren't.

It's all there.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:25 AM

26 posts, read 27,637 times
Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
SEPTA has had an incredibly comprehensive and well organized FAQ up on their website for weeks, with new updates being highlighted. And now their website is entirely devoted to it. SEPTA Papal Visit
Some buses are running, some aren't.

It's all there.
Comprehensive? There are 8 FAQ's. Where are the schedules or at least maps for the busses that are running? New Updates highlighted? Is that the blurb at the top of the screen with a bunch of route #'s with no reference what they refer to?

Old 09-26-2015, 06:36 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,764,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Just got back from a walk to Superfresh on South Street. Superfresh was nearly out of milk, creamer and eggs, and oddly enough, shredded cheese. Crowds were typical of any Friday afternoon.

The city is quieter than I think I've ever seen it, however:

(my pic)

There are soldiers on every corner along with a barricade along Lombard Street with parked emergency vehicles and personnel taking up empty lanes. Kind of feel like it would make a good setting for The Leftovers.

Heading out to dinner tonight and will be interested to see what else is up. Cheers
I'm getting more and more pissed at the people who baled....who went to the shore or wherever. Look at this picture! So pathetic. It should be filled with people at least on the sidewalks. All the Negadelphians AGAIN!

Old 09-26-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
There's something magical when the city is shut down, even if it's because of a nor'easter.
Eh, no. Just no....Can't agree with you.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
Market East was absolutely hopping today - from about 12th to City Hall - Arch to Chestnut. Like Flower Show hopping, just crowds of people around the convention center.

Didn't really see many other crowds though.

Regional rail was pretty really bad today - weekend schedule plus big crowds between those that did have to work and those coming downtown for usual friday stuff.
Yes, but they haven't really been budging from the immediate vicinity of the PA Convention Center. I walked south on 13th yesterday and I saw few WMof people on Chestnut or Walnut. Especially Walnut or anywhere near Rittenhouse.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:07 AM

9,348 posts, read 13,014,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I'm getting more and more pissed at the people who baled....who went to the shore or wherever. Look at this picture! So pathetic. It should be filled with people at least on the sidewalks. All the Negadelphians AGAIN!
All signs indicated the city would go haywire! Get it?!

Not that my presence in the city-county limits would have mattered, as there would literally be no way for me to get to Center City from Chestnut Hill until Monday.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:09 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleCone View Post
Comprehensive? There are 8 FAQ's. Where are the schedules or at least maps for the busses that are running? New Updates highlighted? Is that the blurb at the top of the screen with a bunch of route #'s with no reference what they refer to?
It's right here.

Broad Street, Market Frankford Lines, Trolley, Bus Routes | SEPTA Papal Visit
http://drupal-pvp.s3.amazonaws.com/s...alternates.pdf

Last edited by Marv95; 09-26-2015 at 07:34 AM..

Old 09-26-2015, 07:15 AM

82 posts, read 82,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Why are you pissed about that? Not everyone is interested in the same things, it doesn't make them "negadelphians".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia