Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2015, 06:07 AM

743 posts, read 766,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I'm reading a lot of complaints from local restaurants that this event is really killing their business. I thought this was pretty telling:
"Boo hoo!" for Stephen Starr - Trust me, he's been overcharging silly people for years, he'll be ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 06:20 AM

From what I see from TV, it looks like a beautiful event in honor of a beautiful man. Philadelphians should be proud. Amazing how many haters we have out here ... some just want to hate for the sake of hating.

They shouldn't fret, though, soon everything will be back to normal ... the homeless will have the streets trashed up and smelling like urine and the pretentious types will be wasting their money on small portions of average, uninspiring food.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
It was directed at you and Yes, I did too go out. Of course it is noticeable more empty. My question to you though, what do you think we should care more about? The fact that one of the most famous people in the world is here and generating front page international news or that Stephen Starrs second most important market is at 40% capacity for the weekend?

I was wrong though, you never said you feel bad for him. Some people are blaming the pope/Catholics and that really is wrong in my opinion. It isn't their fault the normal yuppie philly people aren't spending money.
Yesterday at 11:30 a.m., Paesano's on Girard Ave had a hundred people in line. Apparently, Catholics know where to go for great sandwiches.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:31 AM

82 posts, read 82,742 times
Quote:
It was directed at you and Yes, I did too go out. Of course it is noticeable more empty. My question to you though, what do you think we should care more about? The fact that one of the most famous people in the world is here and generating front page international news or that Stephen Starrs second most important market is at 40% capacity for the weekend?
Well, as I indicated, I'm not talking about Stephen Starr specifically, I just felt his quote was pretty telling. There are plenty of other quotes out there about how this has hurt downtown business from a variety of people. The point is that I think the big claims about this being a huge economic boon to the city are very misguided. Yes, the Pope is one of the most famous people in the world, but I think you're overstating how big a news story this is internationally. People in other countries don't care which American city the Pope is in. The news is just a blip internationally, and that news is "Pope Visits USA". If you go to bbc.com right now, for example, there's no mention of it at all—and that's a country that's closely tied to the US.

Quote:
I was wrong though, you never said you feel bad for him. Some people are blaming the pope/Catholics and that really is wrong in my opinion. It isn't their fault the normal yuppie philly people aren't spending money.
I don't blame the Pope. I blame city hall for their poor handling of his visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinish View Post
"Boo hoo!" for Stephen Starr - Trust me, he's been overcharging silly people for years, he'll be ok.
Again, I said the quote was telling, not that I felt bad for Stephen Starr. You do understand that most of the regular people who work in his restaurants make their living on tips, right?

Old 09-27-2015, 07:07 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,523,369 times
Quote:
Well, as I indicated, I'm not talking about Stephen Starr specifically, I just felt his quote was pretty telling. There are plenty of other quotes out there about how this has hurt downtown business from a variety of people. The point is that I think the big claims about this being a huge economic boon to the city are very misguided. Yes, the Pope is one of the most famous people in the world, but I think you're overstating how big a news story this is internationally. People in other countries don't care which American city the Pope is in. The news is just a blip internationally, and that news is "Pope Visits USA". If you go to bbc.com right now, for example, there's no mention of it at all—and that's a country that's closely tied to the US.
In my opinion, you are looking too much in the short term. This is just validation that Philly's Downtown has got to a point that it can handle big events like this. Its a beautiful city and more should see it.
Well I honestly just looked at BBC's website on my phone and this is there second top video on the front page: 'A rapturous welcome' for the Pope in Philadelphia - BBC News

These two come up on the side bar:
Pope to hold Mass for a million people in Philadelphia - BBC News

Pope Francis in Philadelphia: 'It's worth being a family' - BBC News

All published today.

Self serving media outlets like the Huffpost are taking advantage of the moment by pushing there own interests: Breaking News and Opinion on The Huffington Post

Quote:
I don't blame the Pope. I blame city hall for their poor handling of his visit.
I agree, but this hasn't been everyone's tone.

Quote:
Again, I said the quote was telling, not that I felt bad for Stephen Starr. You do understand that most of the regular people who work in his restaurants make their living on tips, right?
I know this isn't directed at me, but I know a handleful of people I grew up with that live around greater center city and work as waitress'. I know it toughs when tips are lost for a weekend, however missing two days of work is not that big of a deal. To be 100% honest, my gf use to work for little old Stephen starr. We are one week away from 30 under 30, I am sure sales will be through the roof. My gf and I were interested in going to that and I couldn't believe that each ticket was $1250 after you get through the application processs!

All I saying is that the doom and gloom is way off point.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 09-27-2015 at 07:53 AM..

Old 09-27-2015, 08:15 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,227,629 times
Graphic: The Ride Not Taken | Philly

Interesting that about half the people who bought special passes didn't even use them on regional rail. Apparently there were 90+ minute waits for the CHW last night, whereas it would usually run every 30 peak and every 60 off peaks, as would the CHE (which was not running at all). And fewer riders than a usual weekday.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:

You're taking it personal, I responded to the quote from Starr you posted, nothing more, nothing less.

Yes, I understand about Starr's employees, but they'll be fine, it's one weekend.
Were they unaware he was coming and that business would be slow? I hope they prepared themselves.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:25 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,523,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
I wonder how many normal people like rainrock didn't get to go, because of the wonderful people who downloaded the tickets and tried to sell them for money? I bet people just threw them away. We will never know.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:37 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,769,139 times
Yesterday there was not as much people as I expected. The folks I encountered on the street were the nice ones.
Chinatown like what somebody told me was almost dead. I have two friends who have a restaurant and a bar, one in Chinatown and one down the street in Rittenhouse. I took a chance to walk and visit their establishments. They were both empty.
I am glad that at the end I cancelled my flight to go home to Miami. There is no stampede. There is no frenzy. I saw touching coverage of kids being kissed by Pope (on TV), especially that little sweet boy who has cancer for 6 years and kissed by Pope.

I was talking to my friend that owns the restaurant. We discussed that alot of these folks probably come to Philly in the budget. They come here not to eat and shop. They come here to see the Pope. That's it. Most of their money - every single pennies and dimes - are probably spent on the traveling and housing costs. And most of the locals are gone. I know at least three of my neighbors in the building that took escapade to Ocean City, MD (I have never been there. What's good there btw?) and one that went home to Boston.
I will probably walk around again later....

Old 09-27-2015, 09:18 AM

26 posts, read 27,646 times
Default First class Philly experience!

I took my 5yr old to the Festival on Saturday. I wasn't sure what to expect and thought I might have to bail out because of a giant mob scene.

Quite the opposite. We took the bus from the western burbs to 69th St, then the MFL to 30th St. It was a VERY PLEASANT experience. The bus, albeit mostly empty, was clean and the driver friendly. It did fill up as we went through Upper Darby but not overcrowded. There were plenty of assistants-- vounteers, SEPTA staff, military, police-- at 69th St and 30th St to help us on our way. There was no traffic gridlock at either station (most of the streets were at least partially closed). Signage was excellent but it was nice to have people guide you along.

Once in the city we walked to a non-ticketed checkpoint where we got FREE WATER and a flag along the way. We waited at security about 30 minutes but time passed quickly since there was plenty of singing and dancing from folks attending the WMF. From there we got a front row view at Logan Circle and saw the Pope go by twice. The return trip was similar.

Whoever said "incompetent volunteers". Totally not my experience. Very efficient, orderly, minmal confusion is what I saw.

Two minor nitpicks, not even the city's fault. After waiting 20 minutes at security, there was an announcement that musical instruments were no longer allowed in. Entire groups had to get out of line and go back to their busses and hotels to drop them off. Not a great last minute change.

Also, since we were on the inside of Logan Circle, we did not have the option of leaving (crossing the street to get to the permieter) for at least several hours. It didn't bother us but a few people were trapped in with young kids who weren't allowed to exit. There was some confusion waiting for the circle to open up after the Pope left (30 minutes+ probably) but not terrible.

I've been to the city in the gridlock mess (IMO) of the 4th of July Fireworks a while ago and I'd never do that again. This was totally opposite. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. I'm thinking of going back today. We left at home at 1:30pm yesterday and still had a great spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia