Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 11:31 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,765,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
thank you.

This morning on CBS they interviewed the NYC chief of police & he said that the secret service & FBI are involved in all 3 cities.

You & I know what happened to the fledgling tourist industry because of Rizzo ruining the Bicentennial. The '79 papal visit gave it the bump that it needed, desperately. Cardinal Krol did a good thing by inviting him. People were inconvenienced then & the world was a much safer place. I don't remember the self-centered whining that I see in this thread.

I'm so glad that you interacted with some of the tourists. Thank you. If I could, I'd get out there & do it too.

If any posters come on here whining, they need to check out the DNC thread on the Charlotte board. Businesses had to close. People had to take vacation time to get paid. That's just reality now. It did help, overall, but people had to make sacrifices.
I always interact with obvious tourists if I have time.

Yeah, the DNC next year should be interesting because it will be very different than the RNC in 2000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
That's the thing, there's not. There's not any on any of there websites, message boards, or subreddits. Just annoying people who literally have nothing else to say. BTW, I live right in the middle of the city. I took off on Friday which I assume is what most normal people did. I'm more worried about my parents. The plan right now is for them to drive into the city, Temple has there parking garages and lots all open so they plan on parking around there and taking the broad street line from Cecil B Moore and meeting at city hall. On paper this actually won't be that bad. I'm not sure though.
The City Hall BSL station is going to be closed starting, I think, late Friday night. They'd have to go to Walnut -Locust station.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamcity View Post
Will the el accept tokens?
Yes, I think so. No cash. It's all on SEPTA's website.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:43 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I always interact with obvious tourists if I have time.

Yeah, the DNC next year should be interesting because it will be very different than the RNC in 2000.
I always interacted with the tourists, even though I lived in South Jersey, if I had the time. I've walked dozens to Independence Hall, frequently from Market Street, where they were very lost. I never understood how they could end up near Wanamakers.

Yeah the RNC was a cakewalk compared to how it is post 9/11.

I'll be watching the reports & wishing I was there. The Charlotte stations are not sending crews to DC & NYC. They're sending crews to Philadelphia.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:46 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,523,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The City Hall BSL station is going to be closed starting, I think, late Friday night. They'd have to go to Walnut -Locust station.
Yeah whatever station that is open. I kind of hope reading terminal is open lol. I'm also interested to see the streets with zero cars. Has this ever happened before with no vehicles?

Old 09-22-2015, 11:50 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,265,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You & I know what happened to the fledgling tourist industry because of Rizzo ruining the Bicentennial.
Although this is off-topic, I've seen this referenced a few times but never explained. Could you or someone else fill me in a bit? Thanks.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:52 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,529,460 times
FYI Papal Travel Site - Papal Visit

Old 09-22-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Yeah whatever station that is open. I kind of hope reading terminal is open lol. I'm also interested to see the streets with zero cars. Has this ever happened before with no vehicles?
The RTM will be open.

Mostly zero cars? No. I don't think the Expressway has ever been closed.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Although this is off-topic, I've seen this referenced a few times but never explained. Could you or someone else fill me in a bit? Thanks.
Rizzo created the idea that the celebration would bring out protestors or some such, totally poisoning the atmosphere. Announcing that hundreds of National Guard people would be needed to control crowds drove people away instead.

It was a chance to display the city in a way it hadn't been before that was thrown away. Back then too, we really didn't know how to market the city at all. We learned!

Old 09-22-2015, 12:33 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
The city had been preparing for the Bicentennial. Mills had been closing for years. The Bicentennial was supposed to be our chance to roll out Society Hill. Center City businesses were counting on the Bicentennial to bring tourists who would go home & tell their friend's & maybe some of those tourists would decide to move their business to Philadelphia. . .then in June Rizzo announced that he wanted the national guard to keep away god-knows-who. But they were going to be violent. (Some protesters were expected)

It was just enough time before the tourists were expected that there were mass reservation cancellations. A lot of Rizzo fans couldn't forgive that & that's why there's a 2 term limit on the mayor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia