Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 08:21 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,764,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The secret service is involved. They're going to be involved again next year. If you don't like this, you're going to hate it next year. Go to the Charlotte board & search DNC. You're getting a mini dry run for next year.

When the secret service is involved with these events they call the shots. All your city can do is advocate for the citizens to make it less oppressive or oppressive to the least number of people.

Your charge that I'm for the status quo gave me a good laugh. What I do know is there are times that you just can't fight a force. The force that you can't fight more than any other is the secret service & they do not care if Joe Blow or Mary Smith can get to work. They don't care if elderly parishioners from outlying areas can come to an event. They do care that buildings & people don't get blown up.
Posters here continue to ignore that Homeland Security and the Secret Service , probably the FBI and ATF too, are running this show no matter what the mayor or the media says. Sure we didn't have to invite Francis here but we did. To some people that was a mistake, obviously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 08:25 AM

204 posts, read 389,250 times
More positive news about the visit

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...-sell-out.html

Old 09-22-2015, 08:27 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,282,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Lol. Another foolish post by someone who's barely spent any time in Phila. Some of the best things going on in Philly are happening north and south of CC.
NO ONE ADDRESSED MY POST. Instead you all take it to a side comment... some insecurity, sure gentrification is spreading. But the city is vast and can't hide blighted areas yet.

BUT MY POST WAS ABOUT.... DIOSESE CHURCH BUSES. Many canceled because PHILLY HAS NO PARKING FOR THEM CLOSE TO THE POPE'S ROUTE. Or failed to set it aside for them.

Again, the DIOCESES RECIEVED THE NEWS.... THE PARISHIONERS WILL HAVE TO WALK 4-miles.

Get out of this School boy... you disrespected my Philly mentalities..... The reality of blight is real. I surely acknowledge my favorite city's Southside issues. Just will defend, when the whole city is called a Chirac ect.

I acknowledge then how MOST blight WAS REMOVED THROUGHOUT the worst areas as they once were, in my favorite city. Looking somewhat like war zones. The existing homes show the great housing stock it was once full of. Single homes easily can be taken down. In a solid Row.... adds issues of support to buildings left.

I demeaned no people or particular neighborhood. But SURELY PHILADELPHIANS, WANT THE WORLD TO SEE IT FOR MOSTLY... CENTER CITY AND UNIVERSITY CITY, and NOT more parts of North Philly and some parts further South.

I acknowledge good things are happening in Gentrification spreading in Philly... and most of our cities. Doesn't change other realities of issues that still exist. By me in other parts of PA, Philly was called Filthadelphia . Things have improved GREATLY in Center City, University City and Gentrification is Spreading beyond. Good neighborhoods remain such.

Sure i never lived in Philly, just visited a few times and Driving in and over the Ben Franklin to NJ more.
I don't think I said anything radical on comments in the past and definitely.... not this thread.

There seems to be a mentality of.... you disrespect me..... mentality of some Philadelphians. That need confrontation. I never deny improvements made and being made.

But my dislike for tight blocks of Row homes.... is like a Scarlet letter. It is fine for others to say.... that is Philly's charm and how Philly stands out vs. other cities. I merely maintained, I preferred Chicago-style housing... more, and it not being a Row home city. It has stayed still more dense overall to Philly. But still none matches Manhattan's.

My original post.... AGAIN was on topic in this thread. Yes I see it as a negative. But not to negate the whole city... planners on this Pope visit and handling Church buses..... that i believe some provisions could have been better for these Parish buses...GIVEN BETTER PRIORITY. Instead ....just a SORRY but your Parishioners will have to WALK 4-miles. THAT WAS IT.

Bus Trip to Papal Mass » Syracuse Diocese

Read #2 post to Parishioners.... THIS WAS THE TOPIC OF MY POST..... All BUSED Parishioners are told they will have a 4-mile walk or 2 hour to get to the Pope's route.

Instead a side thought, I added....of hope International News media see the BEST OF PHILLY not prays of North of Center City or a further South in parts.... to show and write home about.

THIS THEN GETS ALL THE ATTENTION AND I GET HEAT FOR.... It's really about some past post. People AUTOMATICALLY take it to. Then I do a LOOOOONG post to explain, defend and claim no disrespect for anyone. In this....a mostly OFF TOPIC POST.

MY ORIGINAL POST HERE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH KNOWING ANY OF PHILLY.... BUT IS ON THE CHURCH BUSES NEWS OF CANCELLATIONS AND WHY..... Even as a mere Visitor/Tourist.... would be told to stay out of a Areas of North Philly. As a Visitor/Tourist. Would be told to avoid parts of Southside Chicago. I'd make the EXACT added point to a Post if it was the Pope to Chicago... hope the International media stays out of parts of South Chicago. GET OVER IT.

No need to make it more... things keep improving is understood too. Neighborhood by neighborhood.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:56 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Posters here continue to ignore that Homeland Security and the Secret Service , probably the FBI and ATF too, are running this show no matter what the mayor or the media says. Sure we didn't have to invite Francis here but we did. To some people that was a mistake, obviously.
thank you.

This morning on CBS they interviewed the NYC chief of police & he said that the secret service & FBI are involved in all 3 cities.

You & I know what happened to the fledgling tourist industry because of Rizzo ruining the Bicentennial. The '79 papal visit gave it the bump that it needed, desperately. Cardinal Krol did a good thing by inviting him. People were inconvenienced then & the world was a much safer place. I don't remember the self-centered whining that I see in this thread.

I'm so glad that you interacted with some of the tourists. Thank you. If I could, I'd get out there & do it too.

If any posters come on here whining, they need to check out the DNC thread on the Charlotte board. Businesses had to close. People had to take vacation time to get paid. That's just reality now. It did help, overall, but people had to make sacrifices.

Last edited by southbound_295; 09-22-2015 at 09:55 AM..

Old 09-22-2015, 10:40 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,184,967 times
I'd be willing to bet that there's also whining going on over on the NYC board because of the Annual Gathering of World Leaders happening right now.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:57 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,282,673 times
My opinion.... stating a FACT in my local news.... no matter who is to blame. Is NOT WHINING. It is a SAD aspect of the THREADS TITLE in some bad and ugly too. I merely noted it..... The Church you say is paying for much. Sadly Elder Catholics had to be let down because Church buses with mostly elderly. Were canceled because of parking 4-miles away....AND LITERALLY TOLD WILL HAVE TO WALK ANDTHEN STAND THE WHOLE TIME.....Nothing is ever ALL POSITIVES. Or SUNNY Even in PHILADELPHIA. Pun intended......Nor any city or Major event as the Pope's visit.

I surely hope it is great exposure and feedback for the city. But surely LOYAL ELDERLY STAUNCH CATHOLICS. SHOULD HAVE HAD SOME PRIORITY. THEY STUCK WITH THE CHURCH THROUGH THICK AND THIN... BAD and UGLY TOO. In 1/3 Of PARISHES CONDOLIDATED and yes past scandals. I am not even Catholic. My Father was. I was raised going to a Protestant Church. I fully respect the Church and my one Brother, carries on in the Faith marrying a Catholic women.

Yes this is my last post in this thread.... and hope you get ALL HIGH-FIVES FOR THE REST OF THE THREAD SO NO ONE NEEDS TO BE LABELED A WHINER.... I do hope no one yells fire in the crowd with them huge fences. . GOOD LUCK IN THE EVENT.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:05 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,521,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
I'd be willing to bet that there's also whining going on over on the NYC board because of the Annual Gathering of World Leaders happening right now.
That's the thing, there's not. There's not any on any of there websites, message boards, or subreddits. Just annoying people who literally have nothing else to say. BTW, I live right in the middle of the city. I took off on Friday which I assume is what most normal people did. I'm more worried about my parents. The plan right now is for them to drive into the city, Temple has there parking garages and lots all open so they plan on parking around there and taking the broad street line from Cecil B Moore and meeting at city hall. On paper this actually won't be that bad. I'm not sure though.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:15 AM

15 posts, read 18,224 times
Will the el accept tokens?

Old 09-22-2015, 11:22 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,521,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamcity View Post
Will the el accept tokens?
Now that is a great question and something I forgot to think about. I assume it is tokens.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:30 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
That's the thing, there's not. There's not any on any of there websites, message boards, or subreddits. Just annoying people who literally have nothing else to say. BTW, I live right in the middle of the city. I took off on Friday which I assume is what most normal people did. I'm more worried about my parents. The plan right now is for them to drive into the city, Temple has there parking garages and lots all open so they plan on parking around there and taking the broad street line from Cecil B Moore and meeting at city hall. On paper this actually won't be that bad. I'm not sure though.
They're used to this stuff in NYC & DC. There was plenty of wringing of hands & gnashing of teeth on the Charlotte board in 2012. When they realized that the secret service was calling the shots & the city had done what they could for the citizens they got over it. Next year will be worse than this for a longer period of time.

Good luck to your parents. If you run across tourists remember what the city used to announce to us. Be kind, be helpful, be nice. If you see out of town TV crews, bend over backwards to help them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia