Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2015, 08:12 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,523,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
It was in the news by me last week. The thread topic is about the Pope's visit. Good the Bad and the Ugly. Is that not a negative? It was for them. Buses canceled...
That's fine, but what I am getting at is that your assertion to hide parts of north philly or south side Chicago is ridiculous. The pope is coming to reach out and hopefully connection with those very same people; the poor, the sick, the downtrotted, and at the same time appeal to those of us more fortunate to help those in need. We are the wealthiest country in the world but somehow 1 in 5 children are growing up in poverty. Hopefully leaders in DC and NYC listen up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 08:29 PM

Also so the Church is paying for the whole thing: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/pope/20150922_Contract_says_World_Meeting_of_Families_w ill_pay__12M_to_Phila__to_cover_costs.html

Old 09-21-2015, 08:31 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,283,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
That's fine, but what I am getting at is that your assertion to hide parts of north philly or south side Chicago is ridiculous. The pope is coming to reach out and hopefully connection with those very same people; the poor, the sick, the downtrotted, and at the same time appeal to those of us more fortunate to help those in need. We are the wealthiest country in the world but somehow 1 in 5 children are growing up in poverty. Hopefully leaders in DC and NYC listen up.
Again perspectives. Visually South Chicago, (those considered high crime areas) does not look bad today. The war zone looking blight was removed. Empty Lots and blocks returned to prairie. Some looks like a small Midwestern town now.... the Notorious High-Rise Ghetto High-rise Housing Projects Removed... ALL TORE DOWN. Chicago seems to hide it well today. Also many GREAT neighborhoods and housing had the White flight there. Some great housing was lost. Parts survived.

I do not think Philly hides it well. My opinion. I surely accept the outreach of the Christian Faith to ALL areas. Protestant or Catholic. I agree with your comment on the poor, the sick and the down-trotted masses. I would add those with mental issues that can lead to part of the under-class, i call it. Or lead to being in it and down-trotted.

Let's just agree more then not.....i was raised Protestant. Though my Father, and most of my family is Catholic and Mothers side Russian Orthodox.. I'm a mix LOL

Last edited by steeps; 09-21-2015 at 08:39 PM..

Old 09-21-2015, 08:43 PM

The fact the church is paying for the expenses is a very important thing in my opinion

Old 09-21-2015, 09:47 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,765,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
If Most of the WORLD'S media and visitors. Stay just in CENTER CITY and UNIVERSITY CITY. The city may get GOOD REVIEWS internationally. Should for the most part....

But if they venture North and further south. From Center City. They can get the NEGATIVE to show.....
Lol. Another foolish post by someone who's barely spent any time in Phila. Some of the best things going on in Philly are happening north and south of CC.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:56 AM

744 posts, read 776,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Lol. Another foolish post by someone who's barely spent any time in Phila. Some of the best things going on in Philly are happening north and south of CC.
Yep some of the best neighborhoods are just north and south of center city.

South: graduate hospital, Bella vista, queen village, passyunk square, east passyunk crossing, penns port.
North: fairmount/art museum, northern liberties, fishtown,

The world has long associated Philadelphia with urban blight. If they wander beyond these neighborhoods they will see the blight being filled in.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:31 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,529,460 times
Just wanted to share some pics since I work right in the middle of this mess.

Poopadelphia - portopotties lining Market St -

Pope Fence being constructed -

Old 09-22-2015, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post

They're as far north Spring Garden St. I've lived in Spring Garden for 20 years. Never happened before. And, yeah, we are putting fencing around our building. There's suppose to be a jumbotron a block away...

Old 09-22-2015, 06:54 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
This whole experience, really only online, not in real life in my experience, has been a nice reminder about that weird undercurrent in American society that seeks to personally ostracize people who question authority- even about the most mundane things such as transportation policy during a specific event.

Notice in this thread how often it's been said to just "get over it" and the like, and accusing people of being self-centered and dramatic, yet it's rarely been claimed that all of these measures being taken, specifically with public transportation, are actually intelligent, beneficial, or serve any purpose.

It's a bad plan.

It was a bad plan when they were going to shut down the BSL and MFL - and because of intelligent, questioning people pointing out how bad of a plan it was, and putting pressure on various agencies, SEPTA opened up the BSL and MFL. They specically said this was the case in their press release - due to "customers wishing to travel to work and other non-Francis Festival activitie" - as if people wouldn't want to travel to work or other events in the 5th largest city in the country. And it'll also help people get to see the Pope who want to see the Pope - by allowing them to take the subway there.

The regional rail plan is a bad plan too. The number still aren't out yet - but unless something heroic happened this weekend, the stunningly low number of people even choosing to bother with the 5th largest commuter railroad in the country will prove how bad of a plan it is.

But yeah, it's all about you being personally inconvenienced.
The secret service is involved. They're going to be involved again next year. If you don't like this, you're going to hate it next year. Go to the Charlotte board & search DNC. You're getting a mini dry run for next year.

When the secret service is involved with these events they call the shots. All your city can do is advocate for the citizens to make it less oppressive or oppressive to the least number of people.

Your charge that I'm for the status quo gave me a good laugh. What I do know is there are times that you just can't fight a force. The force that you can't fight more than any other is the secret service & they do not care if Joe Blow or Mary Smith can get to work. They don't care if elderly parishioners from outlying areas can come to an event. They do care that buildings & people don't get blown up.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post

Hmmm, guys, dunno... I ran into a bunch of WMF people at the Cret Cafe at 16th and the Parkway from Mexico and Columbia. I know enough Spanish to ask them what they thought of the city so far since they had never been here before. They like it so far. So, maybe, some good will come out of it for us locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia