Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2015, 03:23 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Hmmm... Everyone who lives just outside the traffic boxes(remember them?), who have cars parked with permits, will keep them parked. Folks who live in the traffic boxes will move their cars to all of the remaining available spots, or garages, before the weekend. In other words there won't any nearby spots for street parking that close to events for anyone else.

Conceivably one could park in deeper west, north and south Philly and take the BSL or EL but lots of people will do that too. It's not a sure thing. Those drivers could " push out" affected people who live in those areas and deprive them of parking,

Since Septa has explanded service during the weekend, the mile walk talk may be a bit bogus now.

I wonder if the lots at the stadiums will be open and then a BSL ride - that would make sense to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 03:29 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,263,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Afaik the DNC is twice as large as the RNC. Chances are they will utilize the Wells Fargo Center and all of the
PA Convention Ctr. Not the stadiums. Depending upon what happens, both Clintons will be there. Biden will be there. Sanders if he lasts will be there. Perhaps Obama will be there. It's a huge media event and more than "just a convention". This is thoroughly Democratic city and a union town.

No, it won't be like the Pope weekend. You're right about that. But it won't be small either.
The DNC won't come close to generating the global media attention the pope's visit is generating. That said, it should be a bigger financIal boost to the city's businesses. First of all, I don't think we'll be seeing the same level and scope of security that restricts movement the pope's visit generates; for example, closing the Schuylkill. This will result in fewer businesses shutting down. I also think the DNC attendees are more likely to spend money on the hotel suites and fancy restaurants. All in all, I think the DNC will arrive with thicker wallets than the families in town for the meeting this week.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:31 PM

82 posts, read 82,720 times
This theme the city has going of displacing the homeless and shutting out small businesses seems ever so slightly at odds with the topics the Pope will presumably be discussing when he's in town.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:34 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,521,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
This theme the city has going of displacing the homeless and shutting out small businesses seems ever so slightly at odds with the topics the Pope will presumably be discussing when he's in town.
Agreed. I am not feeling that at all. If it is stadium prices, that is unbelievable.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:34 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,227,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilly View Post
I'm still confused as to why they're saying people have to walk four miles? Can't you just get into the city through the WW or Betsy Ross Bridge and then park just outside the traffic box or am I missing something?
If 1.5 million people show up like they originally said they can't all park right outside the traffic box. It's all based on the walk from nearby train stations or Camden NJ - which is up to 4 miles.

Quote:
We've talked about all the security and all the inconvenience for us locals. Maybe it's time to start listening to the people who have never been here before and what they think about us so far in conjunction with WMoF.
There's basically been no inconvenience for anybody yet - and presumably people who are coming to the papal events already know about the possible inconveniences and their desire to attend the papal events outweigh it, and assuming there are no major problems people will be pretty happy.

People like traveling places - I had the time of my life just a month ago in Forest City, Iowa, among some other nearby cities. Absolute truth. Just breaking the mundane shackles of everyday life can be enthralling.

But I come into contact with plenty of tourists on a regular basis, and Philadelphia is a great place to visit. Except for those unwilling to give it a shot or have unrealistic expectations, tourists have a great time here. I loved visiting Philadelphia before I lived here, part of why I wound up here.

It's a quite unconnected issue to everything being imposed on the city, neither by the city nor by the WMOF.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:12 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,521,830 times
Tonight's a pleasant night out, I walked by many priests and a good amount of people with the clear World Meeting of Families backpacks.

Overheard this preist talking about coming from Asia at a restaurant in Chinatown:

I thought he seemed to be enjoying his expirence. Thought there was a bit more people walking around center city than usual for a wednesday

Old 09-24-2015, 07:51 AM

87 posts, read 104,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I wonder if the lots at the stadiums will be open and then a BSL ride - that would make sense to me
Yes... I have a co-worker who said that his church buses (about 10 of them!!!) will be dropping them off at the stadiums.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:02 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,790 times
Weird, my train to CC yesterday morning was packed with people - ran out of seats, many had to stand. But today, the train was much more empty and Suburban was as well. I was thinking if anything, it would be more packed today. I guess people must have already started leaving town and whatnot. I'm working from home both tomorrow and Monday.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:23 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,764,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Weird, my train to CC yesterday morning was packed with people - ran out of seats, many had to stand. But today, the train was much more empty and Suburban was as well. I was thinking if anything, it would be more packed today. I guess people must have already started leaving town and whatnot. I'm working from home both tomorrow and Monday.
If we do get showers on Sunday that's probably going to impact what happens.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:23 AM

236 posts, read 319,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
ROFLMAO! I have to remind myself when I'm elsewhere to actually go to a corner & cross with a light instead of wandering out to the middle then finish crossing when the other side clears. Yeah, pedestrian traffic blends.
Agreed, I normally warn people from here when I bring them home to the Midwest to make sure to look prior to using a cross walk, as people will normally not give the right away. Although that's usually because they are not used to driving around pedestrians. Philly's been a breath of fresh air from me as a pedestrian and bike rider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia