Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 09:54 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,138,005 times

Advertisements

Let me think ....is there ANYTHING or any event -- other than water in the desert -- that I would walk FOUR miles for -- AND have to use a porta-potty .....uh, no.

(Although I did do a 13 mile MS fundraiser walk once.)

I really hate that older Catholics and the handicapped have had to cancel. THAT is a damned shame. Their religious leader is coming and they can't visit. Well, I can only hope that like a football game -- the best seat is in your living room.
I'm sure that's no consolation or satisfaction for them.....but there's nothing that can be done at this point. Like I said a damned shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 05:06 AM

386 posts, read 266,942 times
I'm still confused as to why they're saying people have to walk four miles? Can't you just get into the city through the WW or Betsy Ross Bridge and then park just outside the traffic box or am I missing something?

Old 09-23-2015, 06:28 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,765,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilly View Post
I'm still confused as to why they're saying people have to walk four miles? Can't you just get into the city through the WW or Betsy Ross Bridge and then park just outside the traffic box or am I missing something?
Hmmm... Everyone who lives just outside the traffic boxes(remember them?), who have cars parked with permits, will keep them parked. Folks who live in the traffic boxes will move their cars to all of the remaining available spots, or garages, before the weekend. In other words there won't any nearby spots for street parking that close to events for anyone else.

Conceivably one could park in deeper west, north and south Philly and take the BSL or EL but lots of people will do that too. It's not a sure thing. Those drivers could " push out" affected people who live in those areas and deprive them of parking,

Since Septa has explanded service during the weekend, the mile walk talk may be a bit bogus now.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
The media's all about security today as they cover the pope's arrival shortly. One consideration is not only security for the pope and those around him, but it takes into account of logistics should something horrible happen. This helped me understand the shutdown of the interstates and other major thoroughfares which might be several miles from the pope's actual presence. The city would immediately find itself gridlocked, only adding to the emergency.
And aside post:

We've talked about all the security and all the inconvenience for us locals. Maybe it's time to start listening to the people who have never been here before and what they think about us so far in conjunction with WMoF.

Some quotes from Philly.com

"Very organized". Evidently the last conference in Milan failed wrt organization.

"Spectacular!" When was the last time Philadelphians described stuff about the city being "spectacular"? Lol

"There's a lot of cleanliness."

Logistics? "Excellent."

"There's a lot of order". They're not finding any issues with what they've had to do regarding registering which, apparently, had no glitches.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:51 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
And aside post:

We've talked about all the security and all the inconvenience for us locals. Maybe it's time to start listening to the people who have never been here before and what they think about us so far in conjunction with WMoF.

Some quotes from Philly.com

"Very organized". Evidently the last conference in Milan failed wrt organization.

"Spectacular!" When was the last time Philadelphians described stuff about the city being "spectacular"? Lol

"There's a lot of cleanliness."

Logistics? "Excellent."

"There's a lot of order". They're not finding any issues with what they've had to do regarding registering which, apparently, had no glitches.
This is very good. Maybe next year some of the delegates will bring family members & extend their stays.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
This is very good. Maybe next year some of the delegates will bring family members & extend their stays.
There was also a very funny, to us it would be, remark about how well pedestrian traffic blended with car traffic. I did a mental, "Really??".

Old 09-23-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
There was also a very funny, to us it would be, remark about how well pedestrian traffic blended with car traffic. I did a mental, "Really??".
Oh there was also a remark about all the construction and seeing homeless people. The latter made me think,"Wonder what they would think about homeless encampments in LA." Something we don't see here even with all the poverty.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
ROFLMAO! I have to remind myself when I'm elsewhere to actually go to a corner & cross with a light instead of wandering out to the middle then finish crossing when the other side clears. Yeah, pedestrian traffic blends.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:28 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,529,460 times
Meet the displaced street vendors who won't profit from Pope's visit

Old 09-23-2015, 02:56 PM

Just a thought on the bus cancellations. There may be a problem for locations for bus parking for daytrippers. People are leaving from areas where the bus will be parked at a motel for several days.

Dozens board buses in Charlotte to see pope in Philadelphia | www.wsoctv.com

Don't know about these buses. I would assume that they have a plan.

GA Tech students to make Pope pilgrimage to Philadelphia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia