Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 08:47 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times

Advertisements

There's a lot of discontent regarding Septa and, somewhat less so, the city and the pope weekend. But the Secret Service has declared it a national security event. It and Homeland Security are more than likely dictating many of the decisions being made about perimeters and transit access. Yet, I don't see any posts about how the Feds are the responsible ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 10:03 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times
Latest info - you now need an actual ticket to get to the papal mass. Sucks for all the people not from the area, sounds like they may get here and not be able to actually physically attend the mass.

http://6abc.com/religion/ticket-requ...philly/967061/

Old 09-03-2015, 10:26 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,649,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
There's a lot of discontent regarding Septa and, somewhat less so, the city and the pope weekend. But the Secret Service has declared it a national security event. It and Homeland Security are more than likely dictating many of the decisions being made about perimeters and transit access. Yet, I don't see any posts about how the Feds are the responsible ones.
IMO it doesn't matter who gets the biggest share of the blame. Having a scapegoat doesn't fix anything.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:43 AM

People are already selling the tickets (THAT WERE FREE) on Craigslist for hundreds of dollars

http://6abc.com/religion/tickets-for...inutes/967061/

Old 09-08-2015, 04:11 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,225,174 times
SEPTA has announces many more subway stations will be open for the papal visit. Which will solve a lot of problems for locals - notably the most used stations on the BSL, Erie and Olney, are now open for business.

SEPTA adding subway stations for papal visit

It's a plan that, at least for the BSL, utliizes for 4 track subway in a pretty efficient manner. And is fairly similar to what I said should have happened when all this nonsense was first announced, and a bunch of ya'll acted like I was a cranky crazy loon. Not to brag or anything because there's still plenty of time for them to change it back.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:19 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
People are already selling the tickets (THAT WERE FREE) on Craigslist for hundreds of dollars

http://6abc.com/religion/tickets-for...inutes/967061/
This REALLY ticks me off! Just for the heck of it, I checked CraigsList and someone was selling four tickets for Pope Francis at Independence Hall for $500 EACH. So not only did they deprive four other people of seeing the Pope for free (as intended), but they stand to gain $2,000 IF someone buys the tickets. They should be ashamed of themselves...I hope karma bites 'em right in the a$$.

OK, rant over.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:08 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
I got free tickets today for independence Hall. I am pumped.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
SEPTA has announces many more subway stations will be open for the papal visit. Which will solve a lot of problems for locals - notably the most used stations on the BSL, Erie and Olney, are now open for business.

SEPTA adding subway stations for papal visit

It's a plan that, at least for the BSL, utliizes for 4 track subway in a pretty efficient manner. And is fairly similar to what I said should have happened when all this nonsense was first announced, and a bunch of ya'll acted like I was a cranky crazy loon. Not to brag or anything because there's still plenty of time for them to change it back.
For a long time it didn't seem like Septa was going to alter their original plans. So the fact that they have means they have listened to locals. Who knows? Maybe they lurk here.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
This REALLY ticks me off! Just for the heck of it, I checked CraigsList and someone was selling four tickets for Pope Francis at Independence Hall for $500 EACH. So not only did they deprive four other people of seeing the Pope for free (as intended), but they stand to gain $2,000 IF someone buys the tickets. They should be ashamed of themselves...I hope karma bites 'em right in the a$$.

OK, rant over.
I saw Nutter on the news last night complaining about how awful it is that people are scalping the tickets. Honestly, wtf did he think would happen? Months ago, they told people they would have to buy the special train tickets, so everyone buys them. Then they're like oh btw you also need a ticket to actually see the Pope and there's a limited amount. They weren't even going to have tickets available to the general public until everyone freaked out. The tickets are on Ebay too in the thousands of dollars, but Ebay is removing the listings for violating terms.

This whole thing is just so poorly planned. Rather than having a plan upfront, they've been figuring it out as they go along. When the public freaks out they're like ohhh nevermind, we'll do whatever you want. They should've had a system in place up front. For instance, can't transfer tickets, etc

Old 09-09-2015, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I saw Nutter on the news last night complaining about how awful it is that people are scalping the tickets. Honestly, wtf did he think would happen? Months ago, they told people they would have to buy the special train tickets, so everyone buys them. Then they're like oh btw you also need a ticket to actually see the Pope and there's a limited amount. They weren't even going to have tickets available to the general public until everyone freaked out. The tickets are on Ebay too in the thousands of dollars, but Ebay is removing the listings for violating terms.

This whole thing is just so poorly planned. Rather than having a plan upfront, they've been figuring it out as they go along. When the public freaks out they're like ohhh nevermind, we'll do whatever you want. They should've had a system in place up front. For instance, can't transfer tickets, etc

You had to have tickets for the Pope event in 1979 but obviously there wasn't all the security. Scalping probably happened then. Once again we really have no way of knowing how messy this has become because of Secret Service involvement. I keep in mind even in our post 9-11 world, the SS hasn't been 100% successful at keeping intruders off the White House grounds. What breaches have happened that the public never found out about? Hence they are not the most competent bunch given their recent track record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia