Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 04:23 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times

Advertisements

Once again, folks, as RainRock said "Nobody forced you all to move to Philadelphia or stay there now." If you're so miserable there, then why not relocate? Here in NEPA, we're seeing more and more people moving here from NYC, NJ, and...gasp...even Philly...on a daily basis. If all of these thousands of people are voicing their opinions about their former hometowns by packing up and leaving, then why don't you all follow suit? Nice homes can still be found in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area for $80,000; so don't use "I can't afford it" as an excuse. I'm not trying to be rude, but if I were as miserable living in a community as most of you seem to be, I'd pick up and get the hell out of dodge! Right now, I'm watching in horror as my own hometown blossoms into a generic cookie-cutter suburb filled with McMansions and chain stores, and I'm not liking it one bit, which is why I'll be relocating to Scranton in a few years once I've accrued enough in savings for a generous down payment on an older home there in a walkable neighborhood. I'm not happy in Pittston Township; therefore, I'll move to Scranton. Others are not happy in Scranton; therefore, they're moving to Pittston Township. One man's trash is another man's treasure, is it not? I'm sure that for every one of you that wants to sell and get out of the City of Brotherly Love, there is at least one more person out there somewhere who was just waiting for a home like one of yours to come onto the market so they, too, could give Philadelphia a shot. As for me, I'd love to live in Philadelphia; I'd just miss the colder weather and subtle little "nuances" that have made Scranton so homey to me.

We can only continue to expand the suburbs outward so far. At some point, people are going to tire of driving successively longer and longer and LONGER to get to work in the city, at which point declining inner suburbs and the city proper will start to rebound. Here in NEPA, we have many people kvetching about their long commutes to Manhattan. As Scranton continues to diversify its economy and attract new residents, (a few of which were lured here due solely to the success of "The Office" on NBC), it too will shine brightly once again, just as Philly will!

Old 01-24-2007, 06:58 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,473,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Once again, folks, as RainRock said "Nobody forced you all to move to Philadelphia or stay there now." If you're so miserable there, then why not relocate? Here in NEPA, we're seeing more and more people moving here from NYC, NJ, and...gasp...even Philly...on a daily basis.
Well 'Rainrock' is not the be all end all of answers. Once again,people on here such as myself perhaps used to be able to just pick up and move. But as we progress further along in life,at times there are just situations we cannot control and are forced to deal with. Perhaps as a character development or what have you,but it just is. And as a person that used to just be able to pick up and go,perhaps no one is as frustrated as I.
By the way,the Wyoming Valley and Wilkes-Barre was one of my residences back in the early 90s. That was actually one of the best deals I ever had on a place,$290 a month for rent on half of a double house. Of course the jobs may not have been much and the heating costs pretty much made up for alot of the money I saved on the place.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:58 PM

39 posts, read 141,986 times
People that are blind rude and arrogant to not see the true Problems with Philadelphia and the Philadelphia region are the true culprits that are bring the destruction of Philadelphia and the region. With out expressing your ideas criticism and or praise you are not giving any one the tools that is desperately needed to build the new brighter Philadelphia. The Philadelphia Government Is corrupted and not working, The Philadelphia Police Department is inadequately staffed. Once proud sections of the city are turning into hoods and or ghetto with hopelessness and despair. The criminal element is in control of every square inch of Philadelphia’s 135.1 square miles. I am in the 40 percent that is privileged enough to have to finances To depart from Philadelphia and will be departing by April.

THIS IS MY FINAL POST FOR ANY OF THE PHILADELPHIA THREADS

Last edited by PhilaForNow; 01-25-2007 at 07:44 PM..

Old 01-25-2007, 09:07 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,473,505 times
My congrats on your escape. Sucks to have another smart one go,but then what smart people stay here anyway? I'm hoping to follow suit as soon as possible.
If anything,pop in once in awhile here to gloat,compare,or whatever>

Old 01-26-2007, 01:00 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,429,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
My congrats on your escape. Sucks to have another smart one go,but then what smart people stay here anyway? I'm hoping to follow suit as soon as possible.
If anything,pop in once in awhile here to gloat,compare,or whatever>
Congrats and Good Luck! (wish I had the finances to follow).

Old 01-27-2007, 09:34 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,353 times
Whoa! I find this all very interesting because as a DELCO suburbanite - on the outside looking in - I was under the impression that there was a migration of young, childfree professional couples, as well as a flock of the upscale 55+ population moving INTO the city for its many amenities. That's not true? I don't know the city well (my parents, now in their 80s, said they "escaped" in the late 50s), but I look at my Mom's old neighborhood, Girrard Estates, and some of those tiny rowhomes are astoundingly expensive! I'll have to see if I can find the Sunday Inquirer's archive on this trend. Any comments?
Sandy from Wallingford

Old 01-28-2007, 06:17 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Whoa! I find this all very interesting because as a DELCO suburbanite - on the outside looking in - I was under the impression that there was a migration of young, childfree professional couples, as well as a flock of the upscale 55+ population moving INTO the city for its many amenities. That's not true? I don't know the city well (my parents, now in their 80s, said they "escaped" in the late 50s), but I look at my Mom's old neighborhood, Girrard Estates, and some of those tiny rowhomes are astoundingly expensive! I'll have to see if I can find the Sunday Inquirer's archive on this trend. Any comments?
Sandy from Wallingford
There are young professionals going into many of America's cities, but, the professionals don't go to EVERY neighborhood.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:27 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,429,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
There are young professionals going into many of America's cities, but, the professionals don't go to EVERY neighborhood.
And those that start raising families don't stay here (Philly public schools leave alot to be desired). The retirees usually flock to the Center City condos that offer all amenities in the same place (preferably the same building). They don't go outside their own neighborhood if they can avoid it.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:43 AM

25 posts, read 236,026 times
Default Is Philadelphia that terrible?

I was considering moving to Philadelphia for school, but it really does not look that nice anymore. Can anyone give me an OBJECTIVE view of Philadelphia? The photos are nice and all, but they look like post cards and even the worst places have nice post cards. And the miserable people are miserable so obviously their view is a little warped. I would like to know how life would be there for a graduate student from the West Coast. How is the public transportation? The parking situation sounds terrible. What neighborhoods would you recommend for a student? Inexpensive and relatively safe. I hope it is not as bad as it sounds, Philadelphia always seemed so nice to me. I have never been, but it always looked very interesting

Old 01-29-2007, 11:24 AM

243 posts, read 887,361 times
Talking Philly

Thanks Rainr ock for the beautiful pictures. My son moved from Albuquerque, NM in 1999 and will never move back here. He does not live in a upper class neigborhood and it probably isn't even a middle class spot. It is in the city somewhere off of Rosevelt Blvd. But he loves it there. We have visited a few times and I am impressed with Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia