Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2017, 06:18 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeEd32 View Post
This would have been a good post if you stopped there. The rest of it is absolute drivel.
It's a shame you feel that way, but these people need to get their priorities straight.

"Education, education, education!" ... How about if they develop a work ethic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 06:38 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
It's a shame you feel that way, but these people need to get their priorities straight.

"Education, education, education!" ... How about if they develop a work ethic?
What if education was part of developing a work ethic? Like a work ethic to do schoolwork?

Old 03-23-2017, 04:36 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,080,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What if education was part of developing a work ethic? Like a work ethic to do schoolwork?
Some of the people you speak of DO have a work ethic. It's just that they put it in service of an activity society (or a segment of it) frowns upon. Give them a legit alternative and they will make the connection:

Now he slings ice cream, instead of cocaine; ShopRite finds talent in former drug dealers | Philly.com

Read how the employee featured in the article describes moving mac and cheese in much the same terms he describes moving rock.

Besides showcasing Jeff Brown, the best and most socially conscious supermarket operator in this (or maybe any other) metropolitan region, this article also buttresses my opinion that marijuana should be legalized and the street dealers given a way to enter the legit distribution system. They ARE businesspeople, just ones who operate in a high-risk industry whose rewards are not commensurate with the risks. The parallel with Prohibition is exact, IMO.

I think this article also demonstrates that the bigger problem remains prejudice and bigotry - including "the soft bigotry of low expectations." I've heard tales repeatedly of people who automatically peg school children into low-achievement tracks before they even have a chance to prove that's all they are cut out for. People will live up - or down - to the expectations we set for them.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:49 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
Phew! For a while, I thought this tax wouldn't work. Silly me! The city just announced it's working like a charm. They raised $6.5m with this soda ban. Next target: Big Mac

Old 03-23-2017, 11:02 AM

802 posts, read 1,321,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Pepsi isn't going to sell two litres in the city anymore. A win-win. Kids getting the attention they need and people drinking less sugar water

People will keep going outside the city to buy the taxable beverages. I haven't paid a cent towards this tax because I shop in Montgomery county.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:29 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,520,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
People will keep going outside the city to buy the taxable beverages. I haven't paid a cent towards this tax because I shop in Montgomery county.
Cool, congrats.

It's alright, I understand, the prospect of giving a couple dollars so children can have a better life is too much for certain people. If you're in Montco then buy there. If someone goes out of their way to avoid paying the cent and a half then their foolish.

As the numbers came out today, it can be said the soda tax is working well above projections so far.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 03-23-2017 at 12:09 PM..

Old 03-23-2017, 12:28 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Cool, congrats.

It's alright, I understand, the prospect of giving a couple dollars so children can have a better life is too much for certain people. If your in Montco then buy there. If someone goes out of their way to avoid paying the cent and a half then their foolish.

As the numbers came out today, it can be said the soda tax is working well above projections so far.
How do you know that? They claim the program has generated $6.5m in revenues, but that is not the whole picture. I need pre and post sales figures so I can compute the net revenues myself. If there is a decline in sales, that affects the sales tax they would have collected. Is that taken into account? But you are too anxious to accept it as a winning program to ask for details. Oh, and that why-do-you-hate-the-children line is pretty worn out.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upenna47 View Post
The issue is over time people will see a huge difference in how much they are spending on sugary drinks. Those couple of bucks you mention start to add up on a monthly basis.
Of course. Its certainly a debate. As I have stated before, people who don't have the means to leave the city have two choices: support the pre k program or don't drink it. It is what it is. Philadelphia is broke. New programs require new revenue streams. We can't sit back and let north/west philly keep repeating the same mistakes over and over. Putting children in an environment where they play together and have rules set into them at the earliest possible time is more important, imo, then a penny and half per ounce of sugar water.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:30 PM

377 posts, read 474,923 times
I saw someone in a Lower Merion grocery store the other day with an entire shopping cart overflowing with all different kinds of soda, mostly 12 pack cans. I can only assume they live in Philly (or drink a disgusting amount of soda).

Old 03-23-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
How do you know that? They claim the program has generated $6.5m in revenues, but that is not the whole picture. I need pre and post sales figures so I can compute the net revenues myself. If there is a decline in sales, that affects the sales tax they would have collected. Is that taken into account? But you are too anxious to accept it as a winning program to ask for details. Oh, and that why-do-you-hate-the-children line is pretty worn out.
So I have read hundreds of your far right wing posts before. We aren't going to agree. No one cares if Pepsi lost money. The city made "budget projections" to meet the finianical obligations of the program. So far they have met the projections. I feel like you aren't understanding that examining y-over-y sales is literally meaningless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia