Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2017, 08:40 PM

14,183 posts, read 9,080,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Typical liberal idea of tax and spend yet most liberals are just little closet conservatives. They will push for tax increases that helps the needy but they will find ways around to not pay for the tax which will effectively make the tax another business and job killing law.
In this case, it's the poor who are figuring out ways around paying the tax.

And no, most liberals aren't "closet conservatives." Unless everyone who takes advantage of a tax deduction is a conservative. A sales tax that applies locally can be avoided by going over the municipal boundary, and low-income Philadelphians (who probably consume more sweetened drinks than higher-income Philadelphians) are doing that.

In this case, the liberals were advocating for a tax they weren't likely to pay anyway but the poor were. The idea was to modify behavior in favor of healthier choices. The tax is modifying behavior, but not necessarily like its backers had hoped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 04:47 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
In this case, it's the poor who are figuring out ways around paying the tax.

And no, most liberals aren't "closet conservatives." Unless everyone who takes advantage of a tax deduction is a conservative. A sales tax that applies locally can be avoided by going over the municipal boundary, and low-income Philadelphians (who probably consume more sweetened drinks than higher-income Philadelphians) are doing that.

In this case, the liberals were advocating for a tax they weren't likely to pay anyway but the poor were. The idea was to modify behavior in favor of healthier choices. The tax is modifying behavior, but not necessarily like its backers had hoped.
How are the poor figuring out ways around paying the tax? Most of them have Access cards and really don't care how much soda costs.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:08 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
More evidence of the successful pre-k expansion funded by the beverage tax. Over 250 jobs created to boot: With soda tax money, pre-K centers see rapid growth

Old 03-13-2017, 12:33 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,877,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
... and unprotected gay sex or sex with a drug addict can give you AIDS and is easily avoidable.

Now, tell me how well liberal policies are working for Philadelphia's horrendous school system. Throwing money at a problem never works in real life.

Or, how about people who want their kids in pre-k pay for it themselves?

A note to politicians: Stop trying to dig into the taxpayers pockets for other's responsibilities.
Nice! I guess straight people who have unprotected sex are good to go! Keep it classy Subaru

Old 03-13-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Nice! I guess straight people who have unprotected sex are good to go! Keep it classy Subaru
Yes, straight people can catch AIDS from one another, but facts are facts.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
How are the poor figuring out ways around paying the tax? Most of them have Access cards and really don't care how much soda costs.
Um, no.

I know that SNAP recipients pay no sales tax on any taxed foods. But that applies to taxes that are levied at the checkout. Since the soft drink tax is levied on the distributor and passed on to the consumer by bundling it into the shelf price rather than levying it separately at the register, they DO pay that tax, and that reduces what they can spend on food.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Um, no.

I know that SNAP recipients pay no sales tax on any taxed foods. But that applies to taxes that are levied at the checkout. Since the soft drink tax is levied on the distributor and passed on to the consumer by bundling it into the shelf price rather than levying it separately at the register, they DO pay that tax, and that reduces what they can spend on food.
I realize that. Do you really think most of them care? When they want soda, trust me, they're getting all the soda they want.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Yes, straight people can catch AIDS from one another, but facts are facts.
And the fact is that you can transmit HIV through unprotected sex regardless whether the partner is of the same sex or the opposite one.

That it's most frequently transmitted through same-sex intercourse doesn't mean that it's the only way to transmit it, which is what your previous statement said.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
And the fact is that you can transmit HIV through unprotected sex regardless whether the partner is of the same sex or the opposite one.

That it's most frequently transmitted through same-sex intercourse doesn't mean that it's the only way to transmit it, which is what your previous statement said.
I was using it as an example of risky behavior, not going into every detail about how AIDS is spread.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
I realize that. Do you really think most of them care? When they want soda, trust me, they're getting all the soda they want.
But if they can get it without paying the tax, they will.

I have several friends and acquaintances who serve as case studies in this. They live close enough to the city line that traveling to a supermarket just over it makes sense for them.

Hell, I'm not on SNAP and I've taken to buying cranberry juice cocktail at a supermarket on the other side of Cheltenham Avenue in Wyncote, at the end of the Route 18 bus line. I often go there because I can get peach flavored sparkling water at the Walmart; I can't find that flavor anywhere else. So I've just shifted some of my buying from the supermarket three blocks from me to another store in the same chain about three miles from me. And some people I know who live up this way and do get SNAP benefits do the same.

If it weren't inconvenient for you to avoid paying more for something, wouldn't you? The poor aren't that much different from you and me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia