Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2017, 09:17 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I wouldn't call seven weeks "several months."

It's long enough for distributors and retailers to feel an effect but not long enough to say whether trendlines are permanent or whether curves might bend further in one direction or the other.
Ok, but where do you go to get the numbers you can trust or are we at the mercy of the City Hall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 06:29 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,960 times
I actually bought soda in Philadelphia yesterday - two 20 ounce bottles of Seagram's ginger ale for $1.50 each. (The wife is under the weather)
The proprieter said "I won't charge you tax." I replied "Thank you. I wouldn't buy them if you did."

Old 02-25-2017, 08:42 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,263,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
I actually bought soda in Philadelphia yesterday - two 20 ounce bottles of Seagram's ginger ale for $1.50 each. (The wife is under the weather)
The proprieter said "I won't charge you tax." I replied "Thank you. I wouldn't buy them if you did."
You're aware the tax has already been paid by your store's distributor, right?

Why is it that these non-city dwellers who don't even know how the tax works are the ones most messsed up over this matter?

Old 02-25-2017, 09:14 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,095,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post

Why is it that these non-city dwellers who don't even know how the tax works are the ones most messsed up over this matter?
More importantly, does the proprietor know this? Or, if the soda was "smuggled in" for lack of a better term, he needs to be careful who he brags about not charging tax to.

It's funny that protestors are considered in some circles as anti-American but apparently it's ok to not pay taxes.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post

Well, I'm glad they payed it and I didn't. Either way, the $1.50 worked for me.

Are you saying I don't live in the city? I've been here longer than you and know the city better than you.
What is it with these transplants who think they know the entire city, but haven't even stepped foot in the vast majority of the neighborhoods? There's more to Philadelphia than 13th and Locust and Pine to Vine.

Last edited by 2002 Subaru; 02-25-2017 at 12:15 PM..

Old 02-25-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
It's funny that protestors are considered in some circles as anti-American but apparently it's ok to not pay taxes.
Personally, I don't think the current crop of protesters are 'anti-American.' But I do think they're uneducated, unintelligent, hate-filled, intolerant imbeciles.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:27 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,263,903 times
Quote:
Well, I'm glad they payed it and I didn't. Either way, the $1.50 worked for me.
Stop lying. Neither were your drink taxes waived by the guy manning the cash register nor did the store owner pay taxes on the drink you purchased. It doesn't work that way.
Quote:
Are you saying I don't live in the city? I've been here longer than you and know the city better than you.
What is it with these transplants who think they know the entire city, but haven't even stepped foot in the vast majority of the neighborhoods? There's more to Philadelphia than 13th and Locust and Pine to Vine.
While I haven't been everywhere, I've ventured from Olney to Kingsessing and Cobbs Creek and from Chestnut Hill to Oregon as well as points in between. In addition, I've volunteered my services at a facility in Wynnefield once each week for the past 6 years. Though not everywhere yet, I've had the chance to see a pretty good slice of town.

Besides, just because you've lived in the city longer than me doesn't mean that you know more about it. You certainly don't know about this drink tax, so why would I believe you know more about other aspects. In fact, you were called upon to provide facts to back up your claimed "knowledge and information" on the transgendered community in another thread, but let that opportunity lapse:
Quote:
Ignorance? Oh, I have the knowledge and information regarding this topic.Try again.
^^^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Please enlighten us.
Given you are wrong about the drink tax and duck questions on other claims, why would I conclude you know more about the city than me?

Old 02-25-2017, 06:17 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,095,433 times
Quote:
Personally, I don't think the current crop of protesters are 'anti-American.' But I do think they're uneducated, unintelligent, hate-filled, intolerant imbeciles.
You "think" this, but do you know any of them? You seem fairly hate-filled, BTW.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:08 PM

14,183 posts, read 9,080,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Um, this country was founded over a tax protest.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:09 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
Back to te topic, how do we get the sales figures and tax revenues after the tax went into effect? Does someone have to go to court to get them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia