Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 09:23 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,168,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Do sport drinks count?
Ys... But the laws do seem arbitrary... Some drinks without much sugar are being taxed just as super sweet sodas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 08:11 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Ys... But the laws do seem arbitrary... Some drinks without much sugar are being taxed just as super sweet sodas.
I understand diet soda is taxed too. Go figure.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:10 PM

33 posts, read 28,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Is this really the first thread on this? It's now national news. Anyway, I live in Montco so thankfully I don't have to deal with it. How is it going down in the city? Seems like the tax is higher than the product. What were they thinking?
I live 5 minutes from Montgomery County. I made my first trip across the border for some juice.

I do not think that this was planned well.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:18 PM

33 posts, read 28,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
To the bolded above: Herein lies why I question the effectiveness of "sin" taxes. They're effective long-term at their goal of reducing the behavior, but by that point, the government has grown addicted to the income. What's going to happen when they become completely reliant on that money to fund something and then that funding goes way down? I'll tell you what will happen: they'll just increase or add taxes elsewhere.

This is why a tax, once levied, never dies. Did you know that the citizens of this state are still paying for the Johnstown flood?
Right! And wasn't the 2% addition to the sales tax was supposed to be temporary?

Old 01-15-2017, 04:55 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,080,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimatty471 View Post
Right! And wasn't the 2% addition to the sales tax was supposed to be temporary?
As was the city wage tax when the Sterling Act authorized it in 1939.

That, by the way, was the year after the Johnstown flood we're still paying to clean up.

(Actually, the extra 2 percent is comprised of two 1 percent surtaxes. The first 1 percent surcharge came along with the creation of the Pennsylvania Intergovernmental Cooperation Authority, the agency created to pull City Hall back from the brink. Of course, the city's no longer on the brink, but there are still storm clouds on the horizon. I forget what the second percent is for.)

Old 01-15-2017, 07:35 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,263,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimatty471 View Post
I live 5 minutes from Montgomery County. I made my first trip across the border for some juice.
Juices aren't taxed.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:25 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Juices aren't taxed.

Arizona fruit punches and juices
Capri Sun
Goya
Hawaiian Punch
Hi-C
Little Hug
Minute Maid juices and punches that are less than 50 percent juice, including some punches and lemonades
Mistic
Nantucket Nectars
Ocean Spray juices that are less than 50 percent juice, including Cranberry, Cran Apple and similar beverages
Snapple juices less than 50 percent juice, including “Apple Drink” and Island Punch
Starbucks bottled refreshers
Sunny Delight
Tropicana fruit juices that are less than 50 percent juice, including Tropical Punch and Tropicana Twisters
V8 Splash juices less than 50 percent juice, including Apple Medley and Grape
Welch’s juices (both diet, low-cal and regular) less than 50 percent juice, including Grape and White Grape juices

Old 01-15-2017, 09:37 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,636 times
Quote:
Capri Sun
Goya
Hawaiian Punch
Hi-C
Little Hug
Minute Maid juices and punches that are less than 50 percent juice, including some punches and lemonades
Mistic
Nantucket Nectars
Ocean Spray juices that are less than 50 percent juice, including Cranberry, Cran Apple and similar beverages
Snapple juices less than 50 percent juice, including “Apple Drink” and Island Punch
Sunny Delight
Tropicana fruit juices that are less than 50 percent juice, including Tropical Punch and Tropicana Twisters
Welch’s juices (both diet, low-cal and regular) less than 50 percent juice, including Grape and White Grape juices
How about Dr. Witt's Polish multi-vitamin juice? I can only find it in Krakus Market in Port Richmond ... I hope it hasn't went from $1.99 a quart to $2.47.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:43 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,636 times
Quote:
Is this really the first thread on this? It's now national news. Anyway, I live in Montco so thankfully I don't have to deal with it. How is it going down in the city? Seems like the tax is higher than the product. What were they thinking?
Me and my old lady rarely drink soda at home, but if we want it, I'll pick some up at the Shop Rite I pass on my way home from work in Cinnaminson.
I'll make my own iced tea with tea bought in Chinatown ... Screw Jim Kenney. I'm good at digging my heels in and I'll do my best to avoid this ridiculous tax.
When dining out within city limits it'll be "Two glasses of water, please!" (We usually drink water with meals, anyway.)

Old 01-15-2017, 07:43 PM

14,183 posts, read 9,080,000 times
Quote:
Capri Sun
Goya
Hawaiian Punch
Hi-C
Little Hug
Mistic
Nantucket Nectars
Sunny Delight
"Juice" means 100 percent juice. Those other beverages are labeled "juice cocktail" or "juice drink," depending on the amount of juice they contain. Federal regulations.

Not that we consumers observe the distinction, but the labels do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia