Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2023, 12:44 PM

1,027 posts, read 445,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Wow! Cool.

Is this a secret?
It's not a secret, it was just announced earlier this year. If it's CHUBB, which it sounds like it is, see my reply above.

Last edited by MPK21; 04-06-2023 at 01:56 PM..

Old 04-06-2023, 02:38 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
The company I work for just announced earlier this year of long term plans to move to a new larger building in center city and consolidate several operations around the area in it, added hundreds of positions to the Philadelphia office. Go figure.
Vanguard!?

Jk. They aren't leaving Malvern. Although I wish they would grow their Center City satellite office.

Old 04-06-2023, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Vanguard!?

Jk. They aren't leaving Malvern. Although I wish they would grow their Center City satellite office.
No news about a Vanguard move or expansion in CC.

The mystery remains....what company is moving into a new larger building, consolidating jobs from the city and area into CC...recently announced, at least officially, then grounbreaking 2 months later in Feb...it's CHUBB.

Old 04-10-2023, 06:56 AM

Maria quiñones sánchez suspended her campaign on Friday.

Old 04-10-2023, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I still like Jeff Brown, but between Allan Domb's ads and Ernest Owens' columns, I'm beginning to think he should stick to running supermarkets and hiring returning convicts to work in them.

I have a good idea where I'm going to land but am not ready to declare anything yet. I still want to hear the candidates, including Brown, in person at the Pen & Pencil. Domb, Gym and Parker have yet to schedule appearances; the other most-often-mentioned candidates are set to appear.
So, glancing over Ernestine's articles on Jeff Brown, for starters, and of no surprise, he simply doesn't like the fact that a white male is popular, well liked, successful in the black community. Brown's providing supermarkets and giving former prisoners jobs to transition into the community. Ernestine can't stand this as he is a yuge race baiter and makes a living on it. Nothing new/

An ad wherein Brown has black residents referring to him with an adjective only black can have. Taken down.

Then there's some scandal that Brown used a past statement from Michelle Obama about his service to the black community; Obama's people didn't ask for it to be removed as M.O. doesn't endorse candidates etc. Ok, so down it went.

Then there's a statement that Brown said that people would lynch his opponents' if their corruption was found. Then there's a reference to the opponents being mostly black (&brown-of course this had to be added in).

Brown states to a group of black folks that he's against police funding; states to a group of "white" folks that he's for more police funding. Curious as to why the black community is against police funding given the gun violence and death holocaust among young to young-ish Philly males; something like 20 Philly public school students killed this term so far; who knows how many shot. Pols double speak all the time, even when they're campaigning for votes.

Just today alleged ethics violations between a super pac making contributions to Brown's campaign issue was raised. Don't know if any of this is valid but allegations today equal guilt. However, this super pac involves 76ers $$? And Brown has previously stated he's in favor of the new proposed arena on Market East; the only candidate at least of late March who stated they were in favor of the proposal.

Meanwhile on Rhynhart:

''Rhynhart is becoming a formidable progressive alternative to Gym.

Cons: Her buzz-worthy endorsement from former mayor John F. Street was dampened days later when her report revealed that in November, he’d been paid $22,000 by her campaign for consulting."

LOL...wonder if Nutter is a paid consultant? Why isn't Ernestine going in on Rhynhart being a Wall Street Insider? Calls her a ''formidable progressive'' who had a hand in a lot of financial destruction in the black community and goes after Brown as described above.

A ''formidable progressive''...LOL. This is from a journalist?

On Gym, in part:

"Gym appears to be trying to get funding from groups with potentially conflicting interests, even if that means backpedaling on her own principles by, say, courting the General Building Contractors Association at the Union League."

Isn't this double-speak to Ernestine?

Old 04-11-2023, 04:24 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
So, glancing over Ernestine's articles on Jeff Brown, for starters, and of no surprise, he simply doesn't like the fact that a white male is popular, well liked, successful in the black community. Brown's providing supermarkets and giving former prisoners jobs to transition into the community. Ernestine can't stand this as he is a yuge race baiter and makes a living on it. Nothing new/

An ad wherein Brown has black residents referring to him with an adjective only black can have. Taken down.

Then there's some scandal that Brown used a past statement from Michelle Obama about his service to the black community; Obama's people didn't ask for it to be removed as M.O. doesn't endorse candidates etc. Ok, so down it went.

Then there's a statement that Brown said that people would lynch his opponents' if their corruption was found. Then there's a reference to the opponents being mostly black (&brown-of course this had to be added in).

Brown states to a group of black folks that he's against police funding; states to a group of "white" folks that he's for more police funding. Curious as to why the black community is against police funding given the gun violence and death holocaust among young to young-ish Philly males; something like 20 Philly public school students killed this term so far; who knows how many shot. Pols double speak all the time, even when they're campaigning for votes.

Just today alleged ethics violations between a super pac making contributions to Brown's campaign issue was raised. Don't know if any of this is valid but allegations today equal guilt. However, this super pac involves 76ers $$? And Brown has previously stated he's in favor of the new proposed arena on Market East; the only candidate at least of late March who stated they were in favor of the proposal.

Meanwhile on Rhynhart:

''Rhynhart is becoming a formidable progressive alternative to Gym.

Cons: Her buzz-worthy endorsement from former mayor John F. Street was dampened days later when her report revealed that in November, he’d been paid $22,000 by her campaign for consulting."

LOL...wonder if Nutter is a paid consultant? Why isn't Ernestine going in on Rhynhart being a Wall Street Insider? Calls her a ''formidable progressive'' who had a hand in a lot of financial destruction in the black community and goes after Brown as described above.

A ''formidable progressive''...LOL. This is from a journalist?

On Gym, in part:

"Gym appears to be trying to get funding from groups with potentially conflicting interests, even if that means backpedaling on her own principles by, say, courting the General Building Contractors Association at the Union League."

Isn't this double-speak to Ernestine?
Some comments:

ISTR that Michelle Obama did ask Brown privately to stop running that ad featuring her praising his opening supermarkets in food deserts. I may be wrong here, but whereas the ad featuring a Black guy comparing Brown to Jesus and another comparing him to a pillar of support in Black neighborhoods went down the moment it drew flak (and I did see it, and it was truly cringeworthy; way too much white-savior content in it), the MO ad continued to run for a while after she made her displeasure known.

Yes, pols talk out of both sides of their mouths quite frequently. This flip-flop, however, was quite blatant. And worse still, what he said to Black voters ran counter to what Black candidates themselves are saying. Both Green and Parker are on the record as wanting to put more cops on the streets. Last I looked, you can't do that unless you spend more money on the police. I'm sure you're aware of this, but most Blacks want good police protection just as most whites do. The difference is that a lot of them don't think the cops treat them with respect. I think eliza61nyc, who has NYPD officers for relatives, pretty much got to the crux of the matter when she said over on the crime discussion thread that her officer relatives pointed out that simply having the cops walk beats (and, as in Camden, get to know the people they are sworn to protect and serve) would go a long way towards solving that problem.

The news about the Ethics Board order broke late yesterday. AIUI, it's not an investigation, it's an order that the super PAC stop spending money on Brown's campaign because it found evidence that it is coordinating its activities with that campaign, a huge no-no under both state and Federal campaign finance law.

Are you quoting EO at the end there? I disagree with him on many things, but I defend him as a journalist because whenever he did straight news reporting (as opposed to opinionating, which is what he does exclusively now), he played the story down the middle, making sure to report all sides. It was often hard if not impossible to tell from reading the news stories which side he favored in a dispute. My guess is that since the opinionating fed his inner Donald Trump, he found it more salubrious to do more of it.

Anyway, that sounds awfully mild for him as far as criticism of Gym goes. And Gym is a huge hypocrite, and that hypocrisy is what usually comes up first when you ask people who are cool on her why they are cool on her. The Union League incident is simply the most recent and glaring example; often enough, people also bring up her founding a charter school, then opposing any effort to create more or support them better. The School District could use more funding, true, but that and supporting charters shouldn't be cast as a zero-sum game.

As for Rhynhart: I think it worth noting that neither Nutter, who brought her into public service, nor Street belong to the Democratic Party's progressive wing. That both are enthusiastic in their support for Rhynhart — yes, Street is actively part of the campaign apparatus, and if he's getting paid for his work, well, I'd say it's money well spent — should tell you something about how far she will go down the Working Families Party rabbit hole (which is to say, she will avoid it).

And since I've brought up the party that now holds the two minority-party at-large seats on Council: It's a sad commentary on the state of the Philly GOP that the "official opposition party" is one whose beef with the Democrats is that they haven't gone far enough to the left.

Old 04-11-2023, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Vanguard!?

The whole ''company recently announced plans to move into a new building, consolidate, and add jobs in Center City'' was simply a response to my post, in part, that had the temerity to state " Philly doesn't have Chicago-level corporate presence, yet is at risk of losing some of its existing corporate/business presence.''

So a certain poster had to drop old news disguised as new news to make a some sort of response i guess, setting off somewhat of a ''who is it?" and guessing games about nothing in the end.

It's CHUBB, old news. It would be nice to hear good news as described and not misleading as stated upthread.

Old 04-12-2023, 05:10 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Pretty clear after last night's debate that if you want change, pray Parker or Gym don't get elected

Old 04-12-2023, 05:45 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Fox posted the debate on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ_TJTsMj4U

Old 04-12-2023, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Pretty clear after last night's debate that if you want change, pray Parker or Gym don't get elected
Are there any reliable polling sources that show a general lineup?

The names I see the most are Domb, Brown, and Gym and to a lesser extent Rhynhart and Parker. I feel like Derek Green has fallen off a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia