Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2011, 11:46 AM

24,299 posts, read 13,145,198 times

Advertisements

There is an interesting web site which appeals to aviators such as myself. As a college student I flew into most of the established airports in the Phoenix area, one of which has been "moved", the old Glendale airport at Olive and Grand. In June 1977 there was an accident at Glendale in which a pilot misjudged the runway length and initiated a go-around improperly, hitting a cement truck on Olive or Grand. It was a relatively short runway, now replaced by a mile-long strip. Lots of interesting historic pictures in the site, showing old airports such as the Casa Blanca airport at the old Casa Blanca resort in Scottsdale, Turf Paradise and the Papago AAF at 52th and McDowell. Not too many people remember that there is a runway just south of Oak Street east of 52nd.

Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields: Arizona
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 05:11 PM

13 posts, read 78,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
There is an interesting web site which appeals to aviators such as myself. As a college student I flew into most of the established airports in the Phoenix area, one of which has been "moved", the old Glendale airport at Olive and Grand. In June 1977 there was an accident at Glendale in which a pilot misjudged the runway length and initiated a go-around improperly, hitting a cement truck on Olive or Grand. It was a relatively short runway, now replaced by a mile-long strip. Lots of interesting historic pictures in the site, showing old airports such as the Casa Blanca airport at the old Casa Blanca resort in Scottsdale, Turf Paradise and the Papago AAF at 52th and McDowell. Not too many people remember that there is a runway just south of Oak Street east of 52nd.

I remember when the plane hit the cement truck on Olive. We drove by just after they started letting traffic go through again and it was a real mess. I still remember clothes and shoes strewn everywhere.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:21 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,721 times
Quote:
The Reynold's plant was so big and recognizable that it was used as a reference for aircraft flying in to Sky Harbor from the west as part of the "Freeway Visual Approach". The approach still exists but now Reynolds/Alcoa is not part of it, although it shows up as "plant" west of the freeway. The Madhouse on McDowell, another recognizable landmark, is still on the terminal area chart.
The "Freeway Visual Approach" is very rarely used anymore. It was put in place before the south runway was built, and it is runway specific to the middle runway, which is almost entirely used for departures. But it is still on the books and if one of the controllers wanted to use it they could.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:23 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,721 times
Quote:

Interesting website. Thanks for posting!

Old 01-05-2011, 10:32 PM

83 posts, read 311,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Yes, from Town and Country. I think the rock had water running down it. Very brave to put stained glass out in the open, I bet the glass in the wings must have been broken out by vandals. Times change don't they?

Phoenix Bird - classic sculpture at 20th & Camelback | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7202153@N03/426377049/ - broken link)
Thinking back to when the bird was mounted in the main entrance by the movie theater the stained glass was still intact. When the moved it out front to Camelback, theey removed the stained glass and painted or power coated it tan. I think it was oxidised copper before.

I used to hang out and sometimes work at the skate shop at Town and Country, the Bare Cover. They would trade me out merchandise for helping out or putting together skateboards when they were busy.

There was also the first Hawiian shaved ice place that I can remember located at T&C called Island Snow. They had a super sized cone called the brain freeze that they would try to make the same size as your head. They had their own skateboard team too. They were located across from Jutenhoops and next to the pet store.

The Bare Cover was next to (west side) of the movie theater.

The artist who did the Phoenix bird had his studio up the street from my parents house. IIRC the address was 4040 east Elm street. If you look at it on google earth, you can see it is on a pie shaped lot that backs up to the cannal. It is filled with huge trees and wa always over grown. We used to say it was a haunted house when we were kids.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:45 PM

537 posts, read 1,545,780 times
I recall the Phoenix bird having fire under the bird and water running. It was rising from the ashes.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:59 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deraffe View Post
Thinking back to when the bird was mounted in the main entrance by the movie theater the stained glass was still intact. When the moved it out front to Camelback, theey removed the stained glass and painted or power coated it tan. I think it was oxidised copper before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertspiritsteve View Post
I recall the Phoenix bird having fire under the bird and water running. It was rising from the ashes.
As I remember it, the bird was out front on Camelback in the first place. I don't recall a movie theater being at T and C when I was a child, but my mom would make a point of driving by along Camelback at night so I could see the bird, which I loved in its original presentation, flames and all. One of my favorite books as a child was "David and the Phoenix" about a boy and a Phoenix bird. In my imagination, the book was set on Camelback Mountain, since I grew up in its shadow.

The bird is practically unrecognizable to me in its "tan" form.

Here's an interesting article about the artist, Paul Coze, who is also responsible for that mural at Sky Harbor Terminal 2 (something else I've loved forever).

Phoenix

Last edited by observer53; 01-06-2011 at 11:33 AM..

Old 01-06-2011, 11:28 AM

24,299 posts, read 13,145,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
The "Freeway Visual Approach" is very rarely used anymore. It was put in place before the south runway was built, and it is runway specific to the middle runway, which is almost entirely used for departures. But it is still on the books and if one of the controllers wanted to use it they could.
Between the Freeway and Tempe approaches, I always wondered how non-local pilots flew them, if they weren't familiar. I guess they could always ask for the ILS or LOC/BC, depending on the runway.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:50 AM

10 posts, read 28,576 times
Interesting article on the artist, Paul Coze. When I happen to fly into terminal 2, being welcomed by the bird mural gives me a great feeling of being 'home'. Back in the early '60s, going to the roof of that terminal to watch the planes take off was a family treat. Was sad when security concerns closed that rooftop.

You're bringing back memories of that Town & Country bird with the flames and water. The Phoenix Art Museum had a jeweled Phoenix that I loved looking at as a child. Is it still there?

Old 01-09-2011, 06:05 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,625,437 times
Big Surf, pre-opening day with some girls from ASU way back in 1969. This is from a wire photo at the time.

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 07:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area