Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2010, 09:34 AM

48 posts, read 246,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deraffe View Post
i remember the last night the silver dollar was open someone smashed the toilets and there was 3-4" of standing water in the whole club. no one cared because it was the last show there.

Tempe Long Wongs is gone

the Mason Jar is now a gay bar

Lugauir's (sp) owner was shot and killed in a robbery and it was reopened by his daughter as KATTS

Bostons was remodeled and was a salsa bar for a while and now sits vacant
the Nile theater lost it's liqour license a while back and became a church. it is reopening slowly as a venue and they are having shows in the basement at the moment. i can't remember the new name though.

the Electric Ball room was closed and became a charter school???? (sooo sad!)

goign way back, Mad Gardens closed in the late 80's

anyone remember the teen nights clubs?
Prisims
Sgt Pepper's
The Metro
sunday nights at The Devil House/Club Rio
Wow great places from the old dayz. Can anyone tell me where Mad Gardens was? My sister remembers a place around where mcDonalds was on Indianschool near the Mirador Ballroom that was like a garden when you walked in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 09:49 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,624,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azfrybaby View Post
Wow great places from the old dayz. Can anyone tell me where Mad Gardens was? My sister remembers a place around where mcDonalds was on Indianschool near the Mirador Ballroom that was like a garden when you walked in.
There was a Mad Jay's or Mad Man's House of Sounds near 32nd Street and Indian School. There was also a Mad Sam's on Scottsdale Road called the Music Man.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:25 PM

362 posts, read 1,700,614 times
Jack in the Box used to sell hot dogs. Also remember Sandys? I think Whataburger moved them out.
I believe the Taco Bell at 45 ave & Glendale was the first in the valley. Real fire pit out front /you could buy a big flour tortilla for a nickel.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:34 PM

362 posts, read 1,700,614 times
Question Snoopys & The Store

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
There was a Mad Jay's or Mad Man's House of Sounds near 32nd Street and Indian School. There was also a Mad Sam's on Scottsdale Road called the Music Man.

Did we already talk about Snoopys & The Store? Both on east Thomas or was it McDowell?

Old 03-15-2010, 03:38 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby sinister View Post
wow, thanks for finding that, baby....other Channel 10 stuff can be found in the related videos section off to the right side of this video...Bill Close bloopers, for example.....

Old 03-15-2010, 04:11 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
does anybody know if the OP did what he/she said they were doing and put memories/stuff up at the Ind Sch station of the light rail??.....

Old 03-15-2010, 06:41 PM

537 posts, read 1,545,618 times
Jan D'Atri was the spokesperson for Smitty's. I remember Hal and Joni Brice were always on TV advertising for ABCO or was it Alpha Beta? I remember when I lived in LA, there were many Alpha Betas. Even on Highway 101 at Malibu. The Brices' now live in southern Cal. Of all the news models, Patty Kirkpatrick was my fave.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:22 AM

214 posts, read 646,908 times
See if anyone remembers the following...

Milt's Department store (some where located in Phoenix next to some railroad tracks, that's all I remember)

Gene McClaine, Action News(Raspy voiced news reporter, channel 12)

Mike Reynolds (Soul of the valley, radio DJ)

Lily Ice Cream company (Central & Buckeye)

Shot up bus from the movie "The Gauntlet".

The World Beyond (Saturday's at noon after the cartoons went off)

The South Twin drive in (Elliott rd. somewhere around 56th st.)

Jack Adams show on channel 21 (Had animals on his show and showed cartoons...sort of a Wallace Ladmo type kids show)

The guy that climbed up to the top of one of the towers at Tower plaza and fell to his death.

The Orange city of Phoenix garbage trucks, with 2 guys hanging on the back, dumping our metal garbage cans.

Big Bear grocery store on Central just south of Buckeye rd.

ON TV (cable tv that would come on channel 15 uhf at 6:00 pm)

Ken Coy (channel 5 news guy that would cry every year on the Jerry Lewis telethon)

12:00 siren on the first Saturday of every month.

The building on Mcdowell rd just east of the Papago mountains that has a high peaked roof. (used to be a Dairy Queen or Tastee Freeze...the building is still there)

The bunnies on the bridge at the Phoenix zoo.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:32 AM

83 posts, read 311,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azfrybaby View Post

that almost sounds more like the Party Gardens on washington and 68th street by the zoo and the base ball stadium. it was in the building that used to be the wax museum. there was a big garden at the main gate then a big stage and more garden out back. i saw the Dead Kennedy's way back when at that place.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:40 AM

83 posts, read 311,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby sinister View Post
See if anyone remembers the following...

Milt's Department store (some where located in Phoenix next to some railroad tracks, that's all I remember)

Gene McClaine, Action News(Raspy voiced news reporter, channel 12)

Mike Reynolds (Soul of the valley, radio DJ)

Lily Ice Cream company (Central & Buckeye)

Shot up bus from the movie "The Gauntlet".

The World Beyond (Saturday's at noon after the cartoons went off)

The South Twin drive in (Elliott rd. somewhere around 56th st.)

Jack Adams show on channel 21 (Had animals on his show and showed cartoons...sort of a Wallace Ladmo type kids show)

The guy that climbed up to the top of one of the towers at Tower plaza and fell to his death.

The Orange city of Phoenix garbage trucks, with 2 guys hanging on the back, dumping our metal garbage cans.

Big Bear grocery store on Central just south of Buckeye rd.

ON TV (cable tv that would come on channel 15 uhf at 6:00 pm)

Ken Coy (channel 5 news guy that would cry every year on the Jerry Lewis telethon)

12:00 siren on the first Saturday of every month.

The building on Mcdowell rd just east of the Papago mountains that has a high peaked roof. (used to be a Dairy Queen or Tastee Freeze...the building is still there)

The bunnies on the bridge at the Phoenix zoo.
i remember world beyond, the 12:00 air raid sirens, stealing ONTV (it was soo easy!), the building on Mcdowell was a Dairy Queen, and i was there when the indian guy fell or jumped off the tower. it was pretty gruesome. his body landed inside the block wall (after hitting it), but his leg hit the top of the wall and severed from his body and landed on the outside of the wall. i had just had lunch at arby's accross the street and went over to see what was going on.

somewhere on the net there is a GIF of him falling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area