Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 08:20 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,486,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Here ya go Mike
Thanks! I drove past there the other day and realized they don't even have the women's jail there now, it's just a rubble-filled vacant lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
OMFG - I forgot about Kurt the Klown. Wow what a mind bender -thanx a load.

How about Aquanetta? Aquanetta anybody... married to Jack Ross the Lincoln Merc dealer - B movie actress.
Aquanetta would always do the ads with Jack Ross on the late show ("The Million Dollar Movie") on KPHO. We kids knew she was exotic in some way but had no idea who she was. Later I saw her in "Captive Wild Woman" on "World Beyond" on Saturday morning.

Interestingly lady - she was marketed as "The Venezualan Volcano" by Hollywood but was actually of Arapaho (Native American) descent, born in Cheyenne Wyoming and passed away in Phoenix in 2004 from Alzheimer's. She did a lot of work for local charities. Wallace did a pretty funny impersonation of her on his show.

Kurt the Klown - ah, my ancient enemy. When I was about 4 years old, he was doing a show in Tower Plaza. My mom was window shopping and pre-occupied, and Kurt came up behind her and tied a helium balloon to the back of her sweater. The crowd laughed. I took exception to this and kicked him, hard, in the shin. Then I began punching any part of his bulbuous clown body I could reach. My Mom had to carry me out of there, still punching and kicking. Thus began my (quite rational) hatred of clowns.

Last edited by Arizona Mike; 03-19-2009 at 08:57 PM..

Old 03-19-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
East McDowell at the corner of third street
thats where all the best washed cars meet
drive in and you'll drive out with you car looking posh
at Los Olivos Car Wash!
I had my car washed yesterday at Los Olivos! They did a good job, too.

I was trying to remember some local advertising jingles - Remember this one?

Three-Sixty-Four East Main, in Mesa!
Come to Berge Ford!
And we know you'll
Buy from Berge Ford, come what may!

Old 03-19-2009, 08:56 PM

This thread is, like, the group mind of everyone who grew up in the Valley.

By the way, if you like some of the stuff I posted earlier in this thread, I started a new thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...n-phoenix.html

where I tell you how to find unusual sights and little-known historic locations in the Valley. Check it out, I'm going to keep adding to it over time. So far I've covered the Phoenix Bat Cave, Forgotten Cemeteries of Phoenix, The Mysterious Date Palm Oasis, with lots more to come. I recently found a historical site from when I was a kid that I don't think anyone is aware of. Feel free to add good sites, too.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:12 PM

70 posts, read 211,758 times
Quote:
Heres 2 pix for you.
1. The Phoenix bird at Town and Country shopping center.
2. Chris Harri of Chris Town.
Cool pictures! Thanks, Willie.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
Aquanetta would always do the ads with Jack Ross on the late show ("The Million Dollar Movie") on KPHO. We kids knew she was exotic in some way but had no idea who she was. Later I saw her in "Captive Wild Woman" on "World Beyond" on Saturday morning.

Interestingly lady - she was marketed as "The Venezualan Volcano" by Hollywood but was actually of Arapaho (Native American) descent, born in Cheyenne Wyoming and passed away in Phoenix in 2004 from Alzheimer's. She did a lot of work for local charities. Wallace did a pretty funny impersonation of her on his show.

Kurt the Klown - ah, my ancient enemy. When I was about 4 years old, he was doing a show in Tower Plaza. My mom was window shopping and pre-occupied, and Kurt came up behind her and tied a helium balloon to the back of her sweater. The crowd laughed. I took exception to this and kicked him, hard, in the shin. Then I began punching any part of his bulbuous clown body I could reach. My Mom had to carry me out of there, still punching and kicking. Thus began my (quite rational) hatred of clowns.
My mother used to do a great impersonation of Aquanetta. I have a video of her doing it .

Kurt the Klown! I'd forgotten about him, too. I wonder if he's the reason that I don't like clowns, either . My husband always asks me why I don't like clowns.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Osborn and about 17th Ave
I used to swim there and was wondering where it used to be, too.

I was reading through some of the posts tonight, and they brought back so many memories. I went to some of those boon dockers "out in the middle of nowhere." My father played piano at the Green Gables for a while. He also played for the Lew King show; he took me there sometimes, and I remember Wayne Newton, and his brother Jerry, when they were kids. I used to wear one of those costumes at Bobby McGee's, where I was a hostess for a while. I remember the Tang's and the Smitty's. I also remember a U-Totem on Bethany Home Rd., just east of 21st Avenue. We used to walk down there to buy Big Hunk candy bars for about a nickle, I think.

I feel ancient!

Last edited by Melanie53; 03-19-2009 at 11:43 PM..

Old 03-20-2009, 12:06 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,091,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Hey, I went to high school early 1950's with this guy on the horse. I do not remember his name

I had a work associate whose dad worked at John's Green Gables on the horse....his last name is Eads.....could that be the guy you worked with?.....

Old 03-20-2009, 11:31 AM

362 posts, read 1,704,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post

Here she is in "Tarzan and the Leopard Woman".1946.

I once won a Halloween costume contest at Legend City and got to go up on stage where she presented me with a (long forgotten) prize. This was about 1965 - she was sporting her trademark long black braid.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-acquanetta-1946.jpg  

Old 03-20-2009, 12:02 PM

362 posts, read 1,704,063 times
Default Phoenix Rock Bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Casciola View Post
. I hope some of you remember the rock band era in Phoenix in the 60's.

"
Hers a shot of The Nazz. Precursor to Alice Cooper. This image shows all 5 original members. Thats Alice (Vince F.) second from the right. Dennis Dunaway in the foreground. They were originally The Spiders at Cortez High and I think Vince attended Central too right? Anybody?

Also heres a shot of the Killer himself Jerry Lee Lewis performing at Phoenix's own Madison Square Garden on 7th Ave. south of Van Buren

both dates unknown
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-nazz.jpg   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-jerry-lee-lewis.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area