Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2009, 12:20 PM

362 posts, read 1,699,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lekker View Post

Does anyone remember the old coliseum? Suns games used to be very laid back, I remember the players would come into the stands before games to chat with their friends and family.
Heres 3 oldies of VMC. The one shows the roof under construction.
Notice the Roadrunners logo on the ice. Remember the "Lucky Number Puck Shoot"? One fan got to go down on the ice and flip a puck through a teeny hole in the goal and try to win a large cash prize. I think it was 10 grand. My mom did it once but missed. She was a huge Runners fan. Robbie Fotorek- Sandy Hucul...!
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-veterans-memorial-coliseum-10-.jpg   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-veterans-memorial-coliseum-11-.jpg   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-veterans-memorial-coliseum.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 12:30 PM

No I cant ID it for you but I noticed the A-I beer sign on the building next door. A-! was brewed right here in Phoenix and was very popular foe a long time. Also Burgie (Burgermeister)

Old 03-20-2009, 12:40 PM

Default The Glenn Theater in Glendale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
I LOVE(d)

You mention the theater on Bethany Home Road... 59th Avenue and Bethany (across from Chicken Park?) or The Glen in old Glendale?
Can someone tell me exactly where The Glenn was located. ??

I remember going there most Saturdays and once waiting in line (wrapped around the block) for 3 hours to see "A Hard Days Night".You could bring your own snack sin with you. Our mom would make popcorn and gives us each a big bag with the butter soaking through the bottom. This was in the 60's and I think it cost 50 cents admission.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:50 PM

Default old Sky Harbor Terminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
The lobby of the old Sky Harbor Terminal (when there was just one - that's why the numbering now starts with Terminal 2). Long since torn down, but the Phoenix Bird mural is now in Terminal 2 (also scheduled for destruction).
Mike

Heres another shot. Notice the official Phoenix Seal / Logo in the concourse floor. This used to also appear on the cop cars too remember?
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-terminal-one.jpg  

Old 03-20-2009, 12:53 PM

Yes you could, Of course thats before the gang-bangers came along and spoiled it for everyone.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:53 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,058,801 times
have not been to Metrocenter in a long time....

does anybody know what the ice rink and overhead "plane" bar are set up as now?.....anything recognizable?....if I go there sometime, what area was/is it at within the mall?...

thanks....great thread here....

Old 03-20-2009, 01:04 PM

Default Fox Theater Interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Here is a snapshot of the Fox, the most Art Deco building in Phoenix. Torn down in 1975.
Heres an interior shot.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-fox-theater-5-.jpg  

Old 03-20-2009, 01:16 PM

Default Park Central Mall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The first "Mall" in the Valley was Park Central Mall. Formerly the Park Central Dairy

Then came the first enclosed and cooled mall - Christown - then Thomas Mall

I say "cooled" because it was at first Evap cooled - not refrigerated. But, to go shopping, in the middle of a summer day was wonderful in a "cooled" mall.
Here it is circa 1962. Check out that bus in the foreground.

Who remembers the Smugglers Inn?
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-park-central-mall_07.jpg  

Old 03-20-2009, 01:26 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,741,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Yes. They were originally called "Little Black Sambo's" and they're logo was a small (very) black boy with a bone in his hair. Stereotype?... what stereotype?

I think they became Denny's right?
Sambo's was a national chain. Started in the 50's, it had restaurants in 47 states before the chain folded in the early 80's. It was never called Little Black Sambo's, the name came from the two founders, one of whom was named Sam. They did however capitalize on the name and used artwork related to the book Little Black Sambo. The chain came under fire for alleged racism in the late 70's. The name was changed to Jolly Tiger, but it didn't help.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:39 PM

Default The Forge Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
I had my car washed yesterday at Los Olivos! They did a good job, too.

I was trying to remember some local advertising jingles - Remember this one?

Three-Sixty-Four East Main, in Mesa!
Come to Berge Ford!
And we know you'll
Buy from Berge Ford, come what may!
Remember their ill-conceived logo - the Blacksmith (forge) Vulture (bird)
Berge Ford - Forge Bird - get it? lame-o.

Speaking of classic car lots , heres Courtesy Chevrolet in 1962
12th Street & Camelback - still there.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-courtsey-chevrolet-1962.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area