Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2017, 12:46 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raimeiken View Post
lol you guys believe this stuff? Don't be so gullible. Fake postings by the right wing, so gullible people will eat it up, share it on social media or other echo chamber hole they belong to and blame the other side for starting stuff.
this ^^^^^^

Old 08-23-2017, 12:48 PM

770 posts, read 837,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
This might be the scariest attitude I've seen expressed so far. Much scarier than "nazis" or "Antifa" being present in Phoenix. Shooting someone in the nads with a pepper beanbag is against police protocol because it can kill them *and* because the police aren't there to torture dissidents.

Whomever took that shot (if it was intentionally placed there) broke the law while wearing a badge.

Tossing a teargas canister (by hand) back at the person who propelled it at you with a gun is, in my view - appropriate. The only reason police are allowed to use teargas is because it's "harmless".

Think about cops intentionally shooting people in the crotch - not during a trump rally, but maybe at a meeting of the (aptly named) corporation commission, or the council when they do a taxpayer giveaway & you might like to protest that. There are times in a democracy when normal, reasonable people need to show up & face their government to protest an imminent wrong. If the cops are allowed to shoot you in the junk for that, then they can only blame themselves when protesters get even more violent.
I have zero sympathy for a paid agitator who went to there with a gas mask knowing they are going to try to riot. The Phoenix PD handled it perfectly and antifa ran for the hills when they were finally challenged by police and not allowed to destroy property.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:06 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
I'm sick of these protesters from all sides. While protesting is a First Amendment right, it seems that many protesters are taking this too far ... and it's obvious many of them have nothing better to do with their time. This applies not only to the political protesters, but those who fight against everything including development (NIMBYs). They obviously have few goals in life except making trouble and seeking attention.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:11 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
I have zero sympathy for a paid agitator who went to there with a gas mask knowing they are going to try to riot. The Phoenix PD handled it perfectly and antifa ran for the hills when they were finally challenged by police and not allowed to destroy property.
According to the reports here- you've got video evidence of the police using deadly force against an unarmed protester (a shot to the junk is deadly), further - in this thread you've got someone who claimed to have witnessed someone getting shot directly by a rubber bullet (rubber bullets are supposed to be bounced off the ground, not shot directly at a person).

If the cops are improperly using "non lethal" force in a *lethal* manner, it's absolutely no different than just pulling out their glocks and shooting unarmed protesters (except for the "deniability" part). That's nothing to be proud of.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:46 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,144,428 times
Quote:
According to the reports here- you've got video evidence of the police using deadly force against an unarmed protester (a shot to the junk is deadly), further - in this thread you've got someone who claimed to have witnessed someone getting shot directly by a rubber bullet (rubber bullets are supposed to be bounced off the ground, not shot directly at a person)..
Where did you hear this? Indirect fire is one way of deploying Impact munitions but it is not the only way. Police Officers ARE supposed to aim for muscle areas though...thighs, biceps, etc. So the guy that got shot in the crotch was just a misplaced shot. The officer was probably aiming at his leg.

You seem to be excusing the protesters for throwing projectiles at the officers in the first place.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:11 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
Quote:
It's not just $25 an hour, it's plane fare (last minute), lodging and meals as well.. Probably $1000 a "protester" pretty easily.. That's some serious cash to be throwing around.
Come on Zippy, you don't believe that's real, do you?

Old 08-23-2017, 02:17 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,139,490 times
The guy shot in the junk is answering questions here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/phoenix/com...t_shot_in_the/

Old 08-23-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Where did you hear this? Indirect fire is one way of deploying Impact munitions but it is not the only way. Police Officers ARE supposed to aim for muscle areas though...thighs, biceps, etc. So the guy that got shot in the crotch was just a misplaced shot. The officer was probably aiming at his leg.

You seem to be excusing the protesters for throwing projectiles at the officers in the first place.
I think both sides of this particular confrontation were idiots, but tossing a can of teargas back towards the guys who shot it at you with a *gun* isn't equivalent. If *shooting* cans of teargas at protesters isn't "deadly force", then returning one by hand isn't "deadly force". The police don't get to have it both ways - it's either harmless & no big deal, or it's "deadly" force & being /intentionally/ misused against the public. That's why I'm 100% against the use of "non lethal" crowd control measures - there's a double-standard & deadly force is often being used against unarmed people.

As for rubber bullets being directly aimed at people, the manufacturers info I've seen says they need to be bounced, not aimed directly, or they're no longer "non lethal". There's a poster earlier in this thread claiming he saw someone "knocked down" by a rubber bullet- an indirect hit isn't going to knock an adult down.

The primary point being - when you start shooting & gassing protesters- you're stifling dissent & escalating force.

That leaves legitimate protesters with two options - stop protesting, or start shooting.

My concern isn't this particular protest - my concern is future protests that may be legitimate.

If I organize a group of neighbors to go yell at the corporation commission for being as crooked as a three-dollar-bill, is it going to be "o.k." with you to shoot me in the junk? It'll likely be the same officers that get called to remove "disorderly" rate payers.. is that the kind of country you want to live in? Whomever has the ear of the police gets the use of a free army to stifle whomever objects?

Old 08-23-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
The guy shot in the junk is answering questions here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/phoenix/com...t_shot_in_the/
Thanks for posting this. Doesn't sound like a paid protester as has been alleged here multiple times.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Come on Zippy, you don't believe that's real, do you?
Absolutely don't believe it's real, just pointing out the absurdity of the offer - no one is going to spend thousands of dollars per protester to fly them in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area