Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2019, 11:15 AM

189 posts, read 231,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Amazing. All those social problem just because of light rail.
LOL. Around my neighborhood, car thefts, car vandelism, and vehicular manslaughter has increased 10X. It never used to be like this when roads didn't exist. Let's get rid of cars!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 11:26 AM

66 posts, read 57,908 times
Could there be a corresponding neighborhood that is glad to see a reduction in toruble due to trouble-makers moving to a new spot via the light rail.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:34 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,275,952 times
Admittedly, transit does tend to attract a lower caliber ... however, at the same time, we can't blame light rail alone for the increase in the presence of derelicts in a certain location. Light rail doesn't go anywhere in or near Maryvale, but look at all the crime, drug houses, and derelicts over there. It's the AREA, not necessarily the availability of mass transit. If there are more drug addicts, panhandlers, and so forth along the light rail line in Mesa, it seems to me that the area around there needs revitalization.

Old 08-18-2019, 02:48 PM

66 posts, read 45,691 times
Noticing lots of signs to vote yes on 105 but not too many saying to vote no.
Does anyone think this could pass because of all the publicity, and maybe some people think a yes vote means favoring light rail and might vote yes in confusion?

Old 08-18-2019, 03:26 PM

2,789 posts, read 7,457,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliu953 View Post
Noticing lots of signs to vote yes on 105 but not too many saying to vote no.
Does anyone think this could pass because of all the publicity, and maybe some people think a yes vote means favoring light rail and might vote yes in confusion?

Ideally, every voter would clearly understand the consequences of their vote, but if there is confusion, I think it might work in favor of the "no" vote. I say this for two reasons:

1) I believe those inclined to favor light rail expansion are people who pay more attention to municipal government and better understand the nuances of this initiative.
2) When people are confused about something on their ballots, they tend to vote "no" based on the idea that it's safer to stay with the status quo than to approve a change they don't understand.

That said, I make no predictions on how this vote will turn out. I could see it going either way depending on which side does a better of cutting through the confusion and motivating its supporters to vote in an off-year election. From what I've seen on Twitter and Facebook, there's definitely some confusion on both sides. I wouldn't put too much stock in signs, though. In the parts of town I frequent, the "no" signs are far more abundant. I think each group is targeting the areas where it expects to find the greatest support.

Last edited by exit2lef; 08-18-2019 at 03:38 PM..

Old 08-18-2019, 08:43 PM

90 posts, read 69,598 times
Welcome to what every other city knows.

Easy movement around the city also brings in the riff raff. I've lived in the Midwest and the very worst thing you can hear is 'expanding bussing routes.'

This is why cities like Scottsdale will absolutely never ever allow anything like this to hit the streets. They know better.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:17 AM

50,874 posts, read 24,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoaz20172 View Post
Welcome to what every other city knows.

Easy movement around the city also brings in the riff raff. I've lived in the Midwest and the very worst thing you can hear is 'expanding bussing routes.'

This is why cities like Scottsdale will absolutely never ever allow anything like this to hit the streets. They know better.
Maybe it's a good reminder that these very human issues are out there still waiting for solutions.

Old 08-19-2019, 01:52 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,826,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Ideally, every voter would clearly understand the consequences of their vote, but if there is confusion, I think it might work in favor of the "no" vote. I say this for two reasons:

1) I believe those inclined to favor light rail expansion are people who pay more attention to municipal government and better understand the nuances of this initiative.
2) When people are confused about something on their ballots, they tend to vote "no" based on the idea that it's safer to stay with the status quo than to approve a change they don't understand.

That said, I make no predictions on how this vote will turn out. I could see it going either way depending on which side does a better of cutting through the confusion and motivating its supporters to vote in an off-year election. From what I've seen on Twitter and Facebook, there's definitely some confusion on both sides. I wouldn't put too much stock in signs, though. In the parts of town I frequent, the "no" signs are far more abundant. I think each group is targeting the areas where it expects to find the greatest support.
Honestly with as much traction 105 has gotten I think it will still get rejected. Patriot Act did an episode on it last night actually, I’ve been meaning to watch it so I’m not entirely sure what they say on there.

But the concerning one because of confusing language between yes and no is 106. Which frankly I don’t understand too much myself.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:10 PM

2,789 posts, read 7,457,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Honestly with as much traction 105 has gotten I think it will still get rejected. Patriot Act did an episode on it last night actually, I’ve been meaning to watch it so I’m not entirely sure what they say on there.

But the concerning one because of confusing language between yes and no is 106. Which frankly I don’t understand too much myself.
Patriot Act covered Phoenix towards the end of last night's episode devoted to underfunded, de-prioritized public transit in the United States. The best quote is when the host says of Proposition 105, "They're trying to make it illegal to build trains. That is some movie-villain ****!"

https://youtu.be/1Z1KLpf_7tU

Proposition 105's sibling, Proposition 106, is just as bad. It's basically austerity disguised as pension reform. Because it exempts public safety and self-funding enterprise departments, the cuts it would impose would fall mostly on quality of life services like parks, libraries, and recreation. The claim that 106 would protect future generations from pension debt is offset by the way in which we'd be shortchanging future generations by eliminating the resources and programs that do the most to help children and youth.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:15 PM

435 posts, read 454,563 times
Imagine unironically watching Patriot Act on Netflix and thinking you're being educated, rather than indoctrinated. Yikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area