Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 12:31 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times

Advertisements

2.5%-3% morality is a big number, much larger than the flu ..... Actually a little larger than what the Spanish flu number was

There is some panic and I dunt necessarily see the good in that.

Most good hygiene items are things i already have in stock and something most others do as well

There will be impact, how much is yet to be seen.

When you see developed European nations take strict action on public gathering, it has to grab your attention

Of course we lack for clear and quality information, which can definitely add more to the panic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2020, 06:31 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
What is interesting is that Costco's pharmacy was out of non-cold related & common prescription meds for my wife last week. When asked, the pharmacist said that the supply of many common prescription meds has dried up because of supply chain issues from the manufacturer in China.

Old 03-02-2020, 07:17 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
In other words, Costco is sending more of these items to other places where people are panicking, not because people here are rushing to Costco to buy all of that stuff. And why is it only Costco?
My guess is it's Costco for price AND more specifically, their liberal return policy. When this all settles down, I predict a lot of TP returns.

Costco Employee: "And the reason for the return of 10 bulk packages of TP??"

Returnee: "I was a super-paranoid ignoramus that bought into the hype."

If anyone else has a probable return reason that people are going to use, do share! lol

Old 03-02-2020, 07:27 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,273,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Was at Costco a few hours ago saw lot of people with carts full of bottled water they were completely out of all brands of toilet paper. People are going nuts over this virus I was surprised to see it here in Phoenix. The death rates of Corona virus are minuscule compared to the seasonal flu which kills up 12000-61000 in the US each year.
The difference is the mortality rate for seasonal flu is about 0.1%. Corona is around 2%. If Corona spreads to the level of the flu, and infects as many people, the death rate is substantially higher.

But yes, to your point, people are probably blowing this out of proportion. I blame the fake news media, per the usual.

Old 03-02-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
2.5%-3% morality is a big number, much larger than the flu ..... Actually a little larger than what the Spanish flu number was

There is some panic and I dunt necessarily see the good in that.

Most good hygiene items are things i already have in stock and something most others do as well

There will be impact, how much is yet to be seen.

When you see developed European nations take strict action on public gathering, it has to grab your attention

Of course we lack for clear and quality information, which can definitely add more to the panic
Not so fast on the 2.5% to 3% mortality. Some people guess that a lot of people are not coming forward because they would be quarantined. Generally speaking, the theory is a lot more people have it and fought it off without them knowing it. Plus, all of the male smokers in China (50+ %) COULD have doubled the mortality rate. No one knows.

Personally, I'm staring at the 0.2 % mortality number. I'm 55, a non-smoker, healthy and never had any bronchitis or pneumonia. So my lungs are healthy and I exercise almost daily. I would be feeling a lot more vulnerable if I was in my 70's or 80's. Or if I had breathing issues like COPD.

Like the Hunt brothers who tried to corner the silver market, I've been actively chasing the PHX TP market. In fact, I am buying up all the Costco/Sam's club TP. Soon, I'll be on Offer-Up and Craiglist hawking TP at 3X the rate!

Old 03-02-2020, 07:53 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,273,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Not so fast on the 2.5% to 3% mortality. Some people guess that a lot of people are not coming forward because they would be quarantined. Generally speaking, the theory is a lot more people have it and fought it off without them knowing it. Plus, all of the male smokers in China (50+ %) COULD have doubled the mortality rate. No one knows.

Personally, I'm staring at the 0.2 % mortality number. I'm 55, a non-smoker, healthy and never had any bronchitis or pneumonia. So my lungs are healthy and I exercise almost daily. I would be feeling a lot more vulnerable if I was in my 70's or 80's. Or if I had breathing issues like COPD.

Like the Hunt brothers who tried to corner the silver market, I've been actively chasing the PHX TP market. In fact, I am buying up all the Costco/Sam's club TP. Soon, I'll be on Offer-Up and Craiglist hawking TP at 3X the rate!
I think this is a very good point. Healthcare in China is behind the US too. Just because the mortality rate was high there, does not mean it will be that here. Plus, it doesn't seem to be nearly as high in places like Italy or Japan.

Old 03-02-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
I think this is a very good point. Healthcare in China is behind the US too. Just because the mortality rate was high there, does not mean it will be that here. Plus, it doesn't seem to be nearly as high in places like Italy or Japan.
Our son just got back from Taiwan doing a medical rotation (to polish is Medical mandarin skills). It's Taiwan medical community theorized that the rate isn't nearly as bad as some think. But there is a lot of confusion as to the percentages because of China's reporting. Time will tell.

Old 03-02-2020, 08:26 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
The rate is taking into account known countries that include Europe.

Places like Iran and N. Korea may be experiencing more or less - we would have a hard time actually knowing

Parts of Italy have been very aggressively testing so that may be a good spot to track for some better data

At this point I wouldn't draw strong conclusions in any direction due to days noise and that everything is still developing

Doesn't change the fact that early indicating show this much more deadly then the flu and it's a little irresponsible to reassure equate them - it is also irresponsible to swing hard in the other direction as well

Old 03-02-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
The rate is taking into account known countries that include Europe.

Places like Iran and N. Korea may be experiencing more or less - we would have a hard time actually knowing

Parts of Italy have been very aggressively testing so that may be a good spot to track for some better data

At this point I wouldn't draw strong conclusions in any direction due to days noise and that everything is still developing

Doesn't change the fact that early indicating show this much more deadly then the flu and it's a little irresponsible to reassure equate them - it is also irresponsible to swing hard in the other direction as well
It's definitely more deadly mostly because of the respiratory aspect of this strain. Let's hope that higher temps / higher humidity kills off the virus as it does the flu/cold/SERs (it didn't help MERs). That won't help people around the world going into fall/winter. I'm going to ping a doc customer who works for CDC. I'll report back what their current educated guess is. Untill then, everyone, PLEASE stock up on TP!

Old 03-02-2020, 08:46 AM

586 posts, read 541,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
It's definitely more deadly mostly because of the respiratory aspect of this strain. Let's hope that higher temps / higher humidity kills off the virus as it does the flu/cold/SERs (it didn't help MERs). That won't help people around the world going into fall/winter. I'm going to ping a doc customer who works for CDC. I'll report back what their current educated guess is. Untill then, everyone, PLEASE stock up on TP!
My Cousin lead the WHO team that just went to China. He was very impressed with how they contained the area in question. But it was a late start and the numbers are fudged??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area