Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2020, 05:15 PM

555 posts, read 595,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
CDC is now advising anyone over 60 and others who have pre-existing medical issues to stay home.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/06/healt...ing/index.html

That means I should be able to go to Costco this weekend and it should be empty.
Oh FFS, your immune system doesn't suddenly get less effective when you turn 60. (Not a criticism aimed at you, kell.) I'm 65 with no underlying medical conditions and have no plans to stay home at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2020, 06:03 PM

13,276 posts, read 7,326,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
Oh FFS, your immune system doesn't suddenly get less effective when you turn 60. (Not a criticism aimed at you, kell.) I'm 65 with no underlying medical conditions and have no plans to stay home at this point.
I have some lung issues I have no plans to stay home either I'm even planning on going to the Luke days airshow in two weeks I hope they don't cancel it.

I was kind of surprised the CDC was making these statements so have to take it with some degree of seriousness. My mother is 84 was a 50 year smoker quit in 2008 now has mild COPD I told her Ill do her shopping for her, or she orders it online and they bring it out to her car. This isn't all because of the Coronavirus.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:48 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,991,864 times
Goes to store for coronavirus stockpile. Gets coronavirus because someone infected is doing the same thing.

Old 03-06-2020, 11:31 PM

26,221 posts, read 49,066,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Goes to store for coronavirus stockpile. Gets coronavirus because someone infected is doing the same thing.
... priceless ...
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-07-2020, 12:20 AM

2,774 posts, read 5,728,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post

Hah, the old Bad Luck Brian Meme.

Old 03-08-2020, 08:00 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
Actually, your immune system DOES suddenly become less effective. Read https://www.sepsis.org/sepsisand/aging/
"Researchers believe that as we go through the aging process, our immune system becomes less effective at fighting infections. This results in older people contracting more infections and they are more severe. Every infection we get means we have a risk of developing sepsis."

What is killing the elderly with this specific virus is sepsis. While most have not heard of it sepsis, it is the 10th most common way to die. 12% of the adult population is over 65. Yet 65% of the sepsis cases are in the 65+ age group. Per the article, 1/3 of all people who contract sepsis die.

Guess what is the most common reason for deaths in hospitals? Yep, sepsis. Certainly not having immune-related issues like diabetes helps so you are in better shape than most 65+ folks. Big picture, you don't want this virus because you are north of 65 and you should modify your behavior. Wash your hands well and often, shop at night when it is less crowded, avoid hugging and handshaking, stop touching your face etc.

Old 03-08-2020, 08:46 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Actually, your immune system DOES suddenly become less effective. Read https://www.sepsis.org/sepsisand/aging/
"Researchers believe that as we go through the aging process, our immune system becomes less effective at fighting infections. This results in older people contracting more infections and they are more severe. Every infection we get means we have a risk of developing sepsis."

What is killing the elderly with this specific virus is sepsis. While most have not heard of it sepsis, it is the 10th most common way to die. 12% of the adult population is over 65. Yet 65% of the sepsis cases are in the 65+ age group. Per the article, 1/3 of all people who contract sepsis die.

Guess what is the most common reason for deaths in hospitals? Yep, sepsis. Certainly not having immune-related issues like diabetes helps so you are in better shape than most 65+ folks. Big picture, you don't want this virus because you are north of 65 and you should modify your behavior. Wash your hands well and often, shop at night when it is less crowded, avoid hugging and handshaking, stop touching your face etc.
This virus will be circulating for years just like H1N1 is. Hide out for now but realize you can't stay indoors forever. If we find that an infection provides future immunity, it might be better to go out there and get it now if you are still healthy.

Old 03-08-2020, 09:10 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,281,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Same here. My local Costco was a mad house this morning. There was a worker at the door holding up a sign saying they were all out of toilet paper. Just panic buying. I've heard other Costco locations are experiencing the same.
It’s happening here in Southern California too. People are panicking and buying all the water, TP and paper towels at Costco. I was in the store and half the people had carts full of water and the paper products. It was a mad house where those items were stored.

Grocery stores and Traders Joes were fine.

Old 03-08-2020, 09:46 AM

3,695 posts, read 2,416,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Was at Costco a few hours ago saw lot of people with carts full of bottled water they were completely out of all brands of toilet paper. People are going nuts over this virus I was surprised to see it here in Phoenix. The death rates of Corona virus are minuscule compared to the seasonal flu which kills up 12000-61000 in the US each year.
These people have low IQs.

Old 03-08-2020, 09:48 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,664,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
It’s happening here in Southern California too. People are panicking and buying all the water, TP and paper towels at Costco. I was in the store and half the people had carts full of water and the paper products. It was a mad house where those items were stored.

Grocery stores and Traders Joes were fine.
The TP aisle in our nearby Fry's was picked nearly clean yesterday.

I was tempted to yell, "Oh my God, they still have some TP, quick, grab it!" and see if I could start a panic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area