Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 01:51 PM

26,209 posts, read 49,017,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I keep hearing on the news about ordering stuff from Amazon and other online retailers if this gets worse. I would imagine that FedEx, UPS, and the USPS will have employees that are ill or refuse to come to work, etc. I don't see this as a viable option if people are directed to stay isolated and avoid others.
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2020, 01:59 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,218,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!
I'm not saying any of this is required or necessary. I just don't think that online ordering would be a viable answer if there is a mass quarantine or things really got out of control.

Old 03-02-2020, 02:05 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,154,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I was looking for the actual reason people are purchasing TP not that nonsense.
Possibly several reasons.
1. Costco (home of old people who are at risk) may want to minimize going out. If I was 80, I'd be stocking up some.
2. NOW others are buying more because other idiots are hoarding TP (yea, I will now buy an extra 24 pack so I don't run out).
3. People have a Doomsday attitude (stocking up on ALL supplies).
4. Because people are so nervous, they think they are going to crap their pants?

Old 03-02-2020, 02:30 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
I dont fully get the water either. What would turn the taps off for a long time? I can see having some, but not huge stockpiles.

Then again, when I lived in Philly every time a storm was surveyed the series would wipe out of eggs, milk and bread....... I guess people were going to hunker down with French toast?!

It was uncanny

Old 03-02-2020, 03:25 PM

26,209 posts, read 49,017,880 times
The one person in AZ who had the virus, a male at ASU, has recovered and is out of isolation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-02-2020, 03:30 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,140,766 times
Quote:
The one person in AZ who had the virus, a male at ASU, has recovered and is out of isolation.
Problem is, this is tourist season...luckily the Phoenix Open and Barrett Jackson are already done for the year. As is the Arabian Show. You notice all these nice folks inquiring on here about visiting and relocating to AZ? All potential carriers.

Lock your doors, seal up your windows and pass out the MREs.

Old 03-02-2020, 03:31 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Possibly several reasons.

4. Because people are so nervous, they think they are going to crap their pants?
Finally, someone solved the puzzle!

Old 03-02-2020, 05:48 PM

66 posts, read 43,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
You're comparing apples to oranges. If you look at death % of total infected, the coronavirus is higher. Check your facts, please.
Obviously, the percentages are going to be higher with coronavirus because there are far fewer cases. And in most of these deaths, the victims had other co-morbid conditions (COPD, Emphysema for example). That doesn't change the fact that far more people die of the flu every year. Since it is new, there is not a confirmed treatment of vaccine.

What paranoid people are not recognizing is that there is not evidence of community spread. Nearly all cases with the exception of a few have a direct person to person contact as a source for the virus. The flu, on the other hand, has communicable spread.

If people are paranoid, the best things they can do is limit their travel (airplanes have confined space with recirculated air), avoid places with high density populations (amusement parks) and avoid locations with reported case numbers. Also, hand washing and avoiding touch face, eyes and nose will help.

I work for a large company with offices in China. We've been pretty thoroughly debriefed on it. We are not traveling to and from Asia at this time to minimize exposure and spread. But the paranoia is unfortunate. There is no reason for people to stockpile toilet paper and water.

What surprises me is the paranoid types tend to be the same people who don't vaccinate themselves or their children. That would scare me far more than getting coronavirus. There have been measles outbreaks in the United States, thanks to people who don't believe in vaccines.

In a strange way, I feel lucky we live in Arizona. They believe heat may impact the virus from spreading. Well, we live in the hottest place in the country. I'm sure even the negative people who proliferate this forum complaining about the heat will find that to be a positive....or maybe not

Quote:

And he had traveled to Wu han city and self-reported when he came down with symptoms. I know you aren't making this claim but for others reading this, they should be aware, he was not a random person who came down with the virus.

Old 03-02-2020, 06:23 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,824,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
It's definitely more deadly mostly because of the respiratory aspect of this strain. Let's hope that higher temps / higher humidity kills off the virus as it does the flu/cold/SERs (it didn't help MERs). That won't help people around the world going into fall/winter. I'm going to ping a doc customer who works for CDC. I'll report back what their current educated guess is. Untill then, everyone, PLEASE stock up on TP!

What is up with this run on toilet paper? You would think this virus causes diarrhea instead of respiratory issues!
BTW: I was just in the Maui Walmart and Costco. Plenty of everything. I even saw lots of masks and gloves in Walmart.

Old 03-02-2020, 07:06 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,890,406 times
Quote:
Stockpiling of water seems silly to me. Very silly. People just are not thinking this through.

The water works will continue to operate, as will gas, electric and sewer infrastructures. This isn't a nuclear attack armageddon, this is a flu-like event. In all such flu-like events, whether in past bad flu seasons, or in SARS and MERS and ZIKA and EBOLA, the utilities kept humming along. And they will this time.

I recall after the 9-11 attacks that people stockpiled plastic sheeting to put over their windows in case of poison gas attacks. Good grief. There were no legions of Al Queda here, with thousands of artillery and howitzer pieces and hundreds of thousands of gas-filled shells, and no Al Queda airforce flying out of your local aerodrome to drop gas-billed bombs on your humble burg, but that didn't stop people from stocking up on plastic sheeting. (Man shakes head in dis-belief.)

What I envision if this thing turns into real pandemic is hunkering down in-place.

Stock up on canned goods and items with a long shelf life to avoid going out. Consider ordering foodstuffs via delivery from Amazon or your local grocery store. Do the personal hygiene thing as recommended.

Above all, stay calm, stay home, and keep informed.
Hey, now, that duct tape and plastic came in handy when an incapacitating ice storm led to two huge oak tree limbs crashing through my upstairs ceiling!

I had felt quite sheepish purchasing them, well before the ice storm which knocked out power and landlines for eight days, but I was mighty glad to have them to temporarily patch up my ceiling after the limbs were removed but before the tarp for the roof was in place. Not exactly ideal to have snow and ice falling in one's upstairs hallway...and not exactly the purpose for which the government urged its citizens to have d.t. and p. on hand. But since I did have them, they were put to good use.

Similarly, the items I purchased yesterday did NOT include water, but did include paper goods, canned soups, over the counter cough, cold and congestion remedies, and so on. They'll eventually get used, no matter what happens (well, I hope the meds. won't be necessary, but if they are, I got 'em. Kinda like I had that duct tape and plastic!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area