Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 10:10 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,524,650 times

Advertisements

I actually hope more snowbirds come, and that they stay longer.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:42 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,090,034 times
Me 2

Old 08-13-2010, 10:46 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,966,708 times
I don't care whether they come or not but if they come and they don't have jobs please let them stay off the roads at rush hour for petes sake!!

Old 08-13-2010, 10:51 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,966,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
So, what do we call the people whose primary home is in Phoenix area and they spend the summers in places like San Diego.

I have two neighbors who do that. Gilbert AZ is their home. But when summer comes they head to San Diego. One has a condo there, and the other has a yacht.

They aren't Snowbirds because their primary home is not in the snow country, it's here in AZ.

San Diego is their summer city of choice for a second home.

Would San Diego call them Desert Birds? And would San Diego complain that they're there in the summer spending money to help the San Diego economy?

Will San Diego complain that their highways are too crowed during the summer and count the days until the Desert Birds take their money and fly back to AZ?

Just thinkin' out loud. I don't have the answers.

I don't know but I'd like to be them. If I wasn't working I would probably stay of the roads in SD in rush hour.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:52 PM

134 posts, read 348,537 times
Obviously, the OP only put this thread up because he knew it would be controversial and get lots of replies. He/she hasn't even contributed to the thread since the original post

As a snowbird to the Phoenix area, we contribute in many ways, especially adding to the economic growth of this fine city. If you didn't have us buying property in such a depressed market, shopping in the stores, going out to restaurants, taking in a Coyotes game.... etc. methinks winter time in Phoenix would not be as nourished as it is.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:35 AM

3 posts, read 7,431 times
I have many freinds who now spend the winters in the Phoenix area, and we are not the retired bad drivers we have as much of an issue with that here as you do there, we are the working class that are just freeking tired of spending xmas in a place that hits -40, have you tried -40 granted ot is easy to dress for the cold then the heat but for my wife and i as well as 1000's of others we come to oor consider Phoenix because yes it is warm and sunny.

We have saved our money and we plan to buy a house and we plan too utilize local contractors for the renos and buy the materials locally and so on and so on, hence trying tpo add to your economy the number of people I am personally aware of anf connect to that have a place in one of the best places on earht would be just 427, and I am just one. From alll those people i have heard both good and bad about Phoenix, and for those who are very negative about Phoenix I always educate them on what a great place Phoenix actually is, and i dont even live there yet but I have read allot about the city.

In closing I have to say there are bad and inconsiderate drivers and people everywhere not just the snowbirds, life is what you make of it, smile its contagous. Yes I already know i cant spell.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:46 PM

6,710 posts, read 5,957,015 times
To me, it's not the snowbirds who are bad drivers; it's the younger guys (and some gals) in sporty coupes who like to fly across four lanes of traffic to take the exit 10 feet from your front bumper, and the lowlifes in pickup trucks who like to push around the smaller cars, like schoolyard bullies.

I live not too far from Peoria and Sun City West, where lots of snowbirds congregate, and after three years here I have noticed the drivers are nicer and more mellow here on the west side. Scottsdale is where all the ugly drivers seem to hang out.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,445 times
Simply said, no issue with vacationing snow birds or the elder version: "q-tips" and the money they bring to the tourism industry locally. However, no matter WHERE you live, do you think it's a bright idea to go on your freaking tour ride DURING RUSH HOUR on a WORKDAY??? Seriously, stop in one of our fine local restaurants and and get the heck out of the way so those of us who LIVE here can get home in time for dinner. Driving 22 mph in a 45 mph zone just doesn't make you welcome in ANY part of the country... Seriously... if you can't drive with the flow, get the frak off the road and buy a bloomin' bicycle.

And as for left and right turns from 3 and 4 lanes over from the opposite side and oh crap, that's my turn... WTF??? Oh of course, it's a driver from 10 states away thinking who cares, I just visit here, why be courteous??? Hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.... I'm originally from New England and was never a snowbird, I moved here and stayed here. So I have a little experience with both ends of the road here. Just seems when the snowbird q-tips arrive, forget getting home on time for dinner.

Old 11-20-2010, 01:52 PM

424 posts, read 954,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsl View Post
Honest question, not intended as an attack:

What would phoenix be like without them?
Well, they've chased out the Mexicans so let's throw out another group that is helping the economy.

Everybody is complaining about no jobs and a rotten housing market, lets not throw anybody else out.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:48 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,090,034 times
We were built for snowbirds, thats our main nourishment, that's what Phoenix was meant for so it's their city as well as the locals. If we **** them off gtbguy is right, might as well close up shop!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area