Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 03:16 PM

682 posts, read 2,569,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
The other item FLA has is miles of beaches upon beaches. I
I think you have hit it on the head here. For families especially, going to a place with theme parks and beaches would be a first choice for many. Also, there would be less chance of being kidnapped in Florida.

altus2006

Old 03-22-2009, 05:01 PM

39,109 posts, read 51,351,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altus2006 View Post
I think you have hit it on the head here. For families especially, going to a place with theme parks and beaches would be a first choice for many. Also, there would be less chance of being kidnapped in Florida.

altus2006
I think you have something here. Maybe we can get "Kidnapping Vacations" going in Zona - all in fun of course. Maybe have some guys in sombreros shoot up your rental car with paintballs, take Dad or Mom or a kid away for a while. When it's all over you gather with the kidnappers for a little cerveza. I see a lot of good memories and Kodak moments here.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:18 PM

3 posts, read 6,867 times
Only one problem, everywhere I go it seem's that I walk into the movie Cocoon!

Old 03-23-2009, 07:42 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,799,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post

...The Phoenix metro area could easily be a year round destination if we had theme parks ... and they don't have to be all outdoor parks either. They are always in the planning stages, but that's about as far as they get. We have some big water parks, but they seem to be only gatherings for Valley residents to escape the heat. If we had large theme parks, and were more competitive & commercial about our amenities, we could be a year round vacation spot the same as Vegas & Florida are.
I haven't checked this out yet, but I'm hearing that the GM Proving Grounds in Mesa was purchased by Gaylord, and they have plans to build an Opryland-like resort there.

If someone else has checked it out I'd like to hear what they found out.

Snowbird positives:
  • A snowbird buys houses here, helping the housing industry
  • Many pay to rent homes, (double the normal rent during the season)helping the landlords who need to rent their property
  • They maintain their property, keeping their neighbors happy
  • They buy gas, oil, food, clothing, cars, bicycles, etc
  • They keep many restaurants and businesses in business
  • They keep the medical field busy
  • They pay for their medical needs
  • They help the golf industry
  • The add taxes to our state and local coffers
  • They are good neighbors
  • They are friendly
  • They participate in community activities
  • They do not drive huge trucks and SUV's and cut in and out of traffic
  • They don't engage in road rage
  • They don't drive 80 mph and taligate those of us who choose to obey the speed limit
  • They don't do drive by shootings
  • They don't commit robberies
  • They don't run drug houses
  • They have the right to live where they choose
  • And consider this, many of them are actually permanent residents of Phoenix, but choose to live in other states during the 4 months of summer.
Snowbird negatives:
  • They drive the speed limit, or under
  • They take up a parking space that someone else would like to have
  • They get to restaurants early, so you may have to wait for a seat if you come latrer.
  • They don't like the summer heat
So what's the big deal?

Isn't it possible that people are being a bit too greedy and losing sight of the big problems we have here in the form of crazy drivers (who caused the need for highway cameras) and the proliferation of crime and drugs.

Let's keep the Snowbirds, who are good for our economy, and have every right to be here when they choose to be here, and let's get rid of the criminal element and the crazy, dangerous drivers.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:54 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,273,535 times
when they leave, my sales career suffers, and my wifes work cuts her from 5 to 3 days. Its already bad enough, but this summer is going to be very very hard

Old 03-23-2009, 11:43 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,617,623 times
I know that the Snowbirds boost the local economy but snow bird season is like summer, after a while you are just ready for a change.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:04 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,300,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Snowbird positives:
  • A snowbird buys houses here, helping the housing industry
  • Many pay to rent homes, (double the normal rent during the season)helping the landlords who need to rent their property
  • They maintain their property, keeping their neighbors happy
  • They buy gas, oil, food, clothing, cars, bicycles, etc
  • They keep many restaurants and businesses in business
  • They keep the medical field busy
  • They pay for their medical needs
  • They help the golf industry
  • The add taxes to our state and local coffers
  • They are good neighbors
  • They are friendly
  • They participate in community activities
  • They do not drive huge trucks and SUV's and cut in and out of traffic
  • They don't engage in road rage
  • They don't drive 80 mph and taligate those of us who choose to obey the speed limit
  • They don't do drive by shootings
  • They don't commit robberies
  • They don't run drug houses
  • They have the right to live where they choose
  • And consider this, many of them are actually permanent residents of Phoenix, but choose to live in other states during the 4 months of summer.
Snowbird negatives:
  • They drive the speed limit, or under
  • They take up a parking space that someone else would like to have
  • They get to restaurants early, so you may have to wait for a seat if you come latrer.
  • They don't like the summer heat
So what's the big deal?
All of this is very true about snowbirds. They can still come here in droves during the winter months, and I wouldn't care. But at the same time, it's ridiculous for a metro area of thise size to keep relying on the presence of snowbirds for a main source of "economic stimulus". Don't get me wrong, they are perfectly welcome, and they do help the economy to a certain point ... however, the Phoenix area really needs to diversify its economic base. No longer can we prosper on sunshine, cheap housing, retirees, and winter visitors alone. It's time to start attracting year round visitors in some form, as well as be a mecca for regional/national/global business.

Let's face it: the idea that our economy is still heavily reliant on winter visitors is rather small townish. As you likely have noticed, this isn't a small town ... hasn't been for many years! Also, winter vistitors are only here a few months out of the year (mostly December through March), so while they do contribute to the economic base, it's not consistent. Yes, keep the snowbirds ... but at the same time, let's not rely on their arrival as a major economic dependence. Remember, once you become too dependent on something, you're left up the creek without a paddle when it decreases, and when you don't have other sources to rely on!

Old 03-23-2009, 10:47 PM

682 posts, read 2,569,281 times
Quote:

Let's face it: the idea that our economy is still heavily reliant on winter visitors is rather small townish. As you likely have noticed, this isn't a small town ... hasn't been for many years! Also, winter vistitors are only here a few months out of the year (mostly December through March), so while they do contribute to the economic base, it's not consistent. Yes, keep the snowbirds ... but at the same time, let's not rely on their arrival as a major economic dependence. Remember, once you become too dependent on something, you're left up the creek without a paddle when it decreases, and when you don't have other sources to rely on!
One of the main reasons that Phoenix doesn't get more large business coming here is the dismal school system. A well educated workforce along with good schools for employees moving here with families is usually a priority for companies when looking for places to relocate.

You are very correct in that Phoenix can't keep growing contingent upon more houses being built and retirees coming in droves with free money for Arizona.

Retirees have taken a big hit with the loss of half of their income and for many of us alive now, it may be too late to recoup and move to the great southwest.

altus2006

Old 03-24-2009, 06:09 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,799,196 times
Quote:
All of this is very true about snowbirds. They can still come here in droves during the winter months, and I wouldn't care. But at the same time, it's ridiculous for a metro area of thise size to keep relying on the presence of snowbirds for a main source of "economic stimulus". Don't get me wrong, they are perfectly welcome, and they do help the economy to a certain point ... however, the Phoenix area really needs to diversify its economic base. No longer can we prosper on sunshine, cheap housing, retirees, and winter visitors alone. It's time to start attracting year round visitors in some form, as well as be a mecca for regional/national/global business.

I'm in complete agreement. You and Altus are focusing on the big picture of what Phoenix needs in order to grow in the future.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:59 AM

307 posts, read 955,251 times
Default Snowbirds OK

Yes, snowbirds presence OK; however, in terms of the economy we must diversify it.

Back in the day, the Phoenix area was more appealing due to less population and less urban sprawl. Now, we are seeing that some winter visitors prefer other places to Phoenix's "big city" feel.

Granted, it is hard to beat Phoenix in terms of our weather predictability and overall feeling of "warmth".

I truly feel that we will always have snowbirds due to the feeling of "having your cake and eating it, too".

Definition: Not too hot, not to cold but just right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area