Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 02:08 PM

39,129 posts, read 51,428,209 times

Advertisements

Snowbirds are a much smaller percentage of the winter population than they used to be. You hardly notice them anymore in the overcrowded, congested mess we have become. I am rather amazed that they still want to come to Phoenix.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:24 PM

6,741 posts, read 5,990,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Snowbirds and tourism is a large part of our economy. We should be welcoming the Snowbirds with open arms.

They buy homes, they buy food, they buy clothing, they buy automobiles, they buy gas, and many other items. They pay a lot of taxes to our state and cities, to help keep our economy going.

So let's be happy to have them here.
That's all I'm saying.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:31 AM

59 posts, read 195,351 times
I wonder how many of the people now living in the valley of the sun will someday be in the position my parents were in. After 35 years of living and both working in Phx.,buying and paying for a home,paying taxes,rasing children,contributing to the community and being good productive citizens they retired. From then until my father died they spent oct.through may in Phx.and may through oct in Vermont.I don't see how they could be considered snowbirds,not after a lifetime of living in Az,but I'm sure there are some people who would call them snowbirds because they didn't want to deal with the heat of summer.I'm sure they posed some of the problems the the posters have complained about,driving too slow,having the nerve to go out to a restaurant thus taking a seat that a full time resident could have,daring to go shopping at the same time a year round resident does etc.The people who complain about snowbirds will, if they are lucky, live to retirement age.Then they may want to stay in Phx.,but not year round if they have the means to escape the heat during the summer months.Can't fault them for that, no more then you can fault the retiree from a cold climate not wanting to deal with snow and ice or having to put on multiple layers of clothes to go outside when its freezing, if they have other options. Gee I guess that would make them snowbirds too, or maybe more accurately summerbirds if they chose to sit out the summer heat somewhere cool if they could. But I guess that would be different, things usally are when the shoe is on the other foot.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:43 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,649,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roran View Post
Ok, so is anybody counting the days until the snowbirds leave?

Sigh...

is this really supposed to be a serious question?

Old 08-10-2010, 08:46 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,813,670 times
So, what do we call the people whose primary home is in Phoenix area and they spend the summers in places like San Diego.

I have two neighbors who do that. Gilbert AZ is their home. But when summer comes they head to San Diego. One has a condo there, and the other has a yacht.

They aren't Snowbirds because their primary home is not in the snow country, it's here in AZ.

San Diego is their summer city of choice for a second home.

Would San Diego call them Desert Birds? And would San Diego complain that they're there in the summer spending money to help the San Diego economy?

Will San Diego complain that their highways are too crowed during the summer and count the days until the Desert Birds take their money and fly back to AZ?

Just thinkin' out loud. I don't have the answers.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:34 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,365,895 times
If you don't want them we'll take them in Tucson. Maybe they'll buy some things and make up for all the Mexican neighbors who aren't coming up here to shop in Tucson's retail stores anymore.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:35 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,067,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
So, what do we call the people whose primary home is in Phoenix area and they spend the summers in places like San Diego.
I believe they call us "Zonies." Hmmm, don't know if that is an affectionate term or not

Old 08-12-2010, 10:21 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,813,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post
I believe they call us "Zonies." Hmmm, don't know if that is an affectionate term or not
Zonies is ok with me.

But don't call a San Franciscan a Friscan.

And don't call San Francisco Frisco. They will tell you it's San Francisco, not Frisco.

I'm from the San Francisco area, so I have the habit of always saying San Francisco.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:47 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,779,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post
yup Zonies it is my grandparents retired near Oceanside and we would spend the summers there on the beach and thats what the called us. I'm indifferent to snowbirds since Tempe isnt a hotbed for them.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:30 PM

584 posts, read 1,343,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roran View Post
Ok, so is anybody counting the days until the snowbirds leave?

It seems we have to nuke our town before they will leave. Then they're back later in the year. Kinda like roaches.

Sigh...

We are all American and we owned this great country..... So stop thinking like roaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area