Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 06:59 PM

27 posts, read 157,353 times

Advertisements

Blah, blah, blah, yes snowbird's money is great for the state of az that is fine. Just like illegals who work on the farms picking fruits and veggies. No, I don't hate old people. Even I have grandparents (locals).

As for the unwritten rules thing, really? Running a red light when the green arrow turns for both sides of traffic uncommonly known? Missing a turn on University and Scottsdale rd at 4:30 pm on a monday, stopping reversing into the car behind them. Turning a corner in a parking lot hitting a PARKED truck, reversing hitting it again, reversing hitting it another time, then scrapping the entire side panel across it. Or plowing through houses, stores, bus stops, school busses, pedestrians.

There should be a parade after Easter when the blazing heat drives the snowbirds out of AZ like St. Patrick did with the snakes in Ireland. We can call it GOMER Day.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:52 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roran View Post
Ok, so is anybody counting the days until the snowbirds leave?

It seems we have to nuke our town before they will leave. Then they're back later in the year. Kinda like roaches.

Sigh...
I think some have left because my morning commute has been better the last week or so.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:01 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Snowbirds... or seasonal residents... whatever you want to call them--they don't compete for local jobs, they don't commit crimes, and they do spend, spend, spend. What's not to love?

OK, so some of them aren't the best drivers in the world. So what? Lots of local people are out there breaking the rules of the road, in my experience--young bucks in pickup trucks out on the highway, and these overachievers in BMWs around Scottsdale--they act like they own the road and you better get outta my way! Now them I can live without.

But the seniors here... man, some people just have to find something to complain about, don't they. I'm scratching my head over this one....

Old 03-19-2009, 01:04 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
With the bad economy, I didn't feel the negative impact of the snowbirds such as bad traffic and long restaurant waits. This is the first year that I can honestly say that I didn't feel impacted by the snow birds.

It's a double edged sword with the snowbirds. In many ways, they keep our economy functioning because they spend as another poster mentioned whether that involves shopping or health care spending. However, the snowbirds also influence our political scene. They vote conservatively and are against government spending in general because they are retired. This is also a reason why our schools are terrible. The snowbird population doesn't care about our schools or infrastructure since their goal is to keep their taxes and spending low since they are retired.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 03-19-2009 at 01:16 AM..

Old 03-19-2009, 03:54 AM

216 posts, read 589,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Yup, ready for them to leave.
Why?? How do they make your life worse? I'm really curious.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:23 PM

219 posts, read 764,283 times
I can state most can not or will not look for a motorcycle on the road. Can't leave soon enough.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:44 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,744,599 times
From the standpoint of the economy I am glad that they come here. I don't actually meet these people very often, except maybe at Cactus League games, but they do significantly worsen the traffic and make the air a tad dirtier. So although it would be bad news if they stopped coming, I always look forward to their departure.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:03 AM

947 posts, read 3,409,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
I think the reason people dislike them is because they are old and drive slow and terrible. I'm sure they are nice, great people, but some of them shouldn't be driving.
Bingo!
Sometimes when I go grocery shopping, geez, seems like a bus load was just dropped off there. I don't Not like them, just they are slow and I get a little frustrated, just my personality!

Old 03-21-2009, 08:23 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Yes! Go home already! We went to a state park this week to do a little fishing and camping and it was overrun with old people from out of state. Virtually every spot was taken up by some old fart from Washington or Idaho. We don't have enough camping and such for the people who live here much less for the thousands of squatters from out of state.

Snowbirds, come and enjoy, but on March 1st, get your butts in gear and get outta here! Leave us a couple months to enjoy our state before the miserable summer weather makes shut-ins of us.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:19 AM

559 posts, read 1,464,510 times
I don't really even notice they are here, its no different for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area