Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
East Valley 124 69.27%
West Valley 55 30.73%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 07:43 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,438,965 times

Advertisements

Agree with azriverfan and Ritchie_Az. There are some great things about both sides of the Valley. The west side has seen a LOT of changes over the last 10-15 years. I posted recently (maybe in this thread, I don't remember) about all the new commercial development around Arrowhead Mall that I hadn't seen until I happened to be out there one night last week- I have to go back in daylight when I can see it better!. I think the area around U0fP stadium would be more developed if the economic downturn hadn't come along when it did, and that things out there will pick up when things get better.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:21 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,505,026 times
Probably the one bad thing about the west valley is the traffic along I-10.

There are no freeway alternatives besides I-10 for east-west commuting, this is why the 801 Loop should be built sooner than later.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:21 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,275,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post

There are no freeway alternatives besides I-10 for east-west commuting, this is why the 801 Loop should be built sooner than later.
They need to do something with the I10 median as well. From about 35th Avenue westward, the median is nothing but a wide, ugly stretch of dirt with useless wire fences in the middle. There has been talk about running light rail or commuter rail in the middle of I10, but that could be many years away. Light rail (if expanded westward) might do better to remain on city streets anyway. Since I10 is so clogged during rush hour, the best solution is to tear out the existing median and add another lane in each direction. After that, a concrete barrier could be the center divider.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:49 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,491,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
They need to do something with the I10 median as well. From about 35th Avenue westward, the median is nothing but a wide, ugly stretch of dirt with useless wire fences in the middle. There has been talk about running light rail or commuter rail in the middle of I10, but that could be many years away. Light rail (if expanded westward) might do better to remain on city streets anyway. Since I10 is so clogged during rush hour, the best solution is to tear out the existing median and add another lane in each direction. After that, a concrete barrier could be the center divider.
No joke there. Ive driven on that part of the 10 and its bad during rush hour.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:17 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,505,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
No joke there. Ive driven on that part of the 10 and its bad during rush hour.
During crush hour times I have discovered that it can be an easier drive to the west valley using some of the regular east-west streets that run parallel to I-10.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:09 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,809,093 times
Question. Everyone says that the southside of Phoenix is the "hood"...Is that true...or are there pockets to the southside with some nice neighborhoods?

Old 01-12-2011, 12:20 PM

6,406 posts, read 8,994,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Question. Everyone says that the southside of Phoenix is the "hood"...Is that true...or are there pockets to the southside with some nice neighborhoods?
I think south Phoenix is generally older and rundown, that's what I hear, but like other parts of the city I'm sure the reputation does not fit the entire area. It's all difficult to gauge. You need to get out and see for yourself. I've been in areas that I was told were "bad" and had no issues. Granted, I don't live in those areas and spend little time there but I find there are a lot of knee jerk reactions to parts of Phoenix.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:58 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,491,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I think south Phoenix is generally older and rundown, that's what I hear, but like other parts of the city I'm sure the reputation does not fit the entire area. It's all difficult to gauge. You need to get out and see for yourself. I've been in areas that I was told were "bad" and had no issues. Granted, I don't live in those areas and spend little time there but I find there are a lot of knee jerk reactions to parts of Phoenix.
Look at a map: Phoenix city goes furthr south than South Mountain. Ahwatukee is part of Phoenix but many of the people there dont admit to it.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:53 AM

39,084 posts, read 51,266,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
There are some very nice homes in south Phoenix in the "Laveen" area. They are on the hillsides south of Baseline. The area there is a bit hodge-podge, though, and certainly not uniformly affluent. There are many, many new homes in south Phoenix between about 51st Avenue and 83rd Avenue and south of Lower Buckeye. These were built in the last 4 years in the boom. The streetscapes there look quite nice still - certainly not ghetto. Yards and public areas are landscaped, little graffiti evident, clean. I think the crime may be marginally higher than some of the other suburban areas and the income level is slightly lower and they are more diverse than places like Gilbert would be. But, for the time being, these areas deserve consideration - particularly for first time buyers who will likely be moving up and on in the next decade. On the other hand, I just can't believe that these are going to be stable neighborhoods and expect them to decline in appearance and desirability over the years.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:44 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,520,818 times
I know Laveen doesn't have the best reputation, but I have a coworker who make enough money to live just about anywhere in Phoenix metro and he raves about Laveen (which is where he lives). I guess it depends on where exactly you live....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area