Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
East Valley 124 69.27%
West Valley 55 30.73%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 02:29 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Depends on what you like?

Maybe to some degree - there are definitely some preferences that can be made/had.

However, you can find good & bad neighborhoods in both.

I wouldn't say it depends on what you like though - a lot will depend on where you work.

There are points where the commutes are about idential and some places where it's going to be vastly different.

The metro is massive in how much land it takes up.

It may be nice to be closer to family.

Also, if you like hiking, biking & sports I don't see any reason why you would be disapointed in the WV.
Thanks. Our biggest issue is work - my husband will be going to school for 9 months, then they will place him in work. In the meantime he's working on base as a reservist. So for close to that first year he's activated for the military and in school, so living nearby might be nice but then what if they place him on the opposite side.... then me, I am back with my temp agency, it keeps me busy but it varies on locations, of course. I hope to be in something permanent soon, but thought maybe I could wait till my husband is placed in his work... and who knows where that will be. The only thing I can think is try to stay semi-central, then see after a year what is going on then if we have to move, we can move. I am glad to hear I will not be disappointed in the WV with my hobbies. I appreciate your thoughts.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:32 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
rent until he is placed would be my opinion

that will not only keep at least one of your commutes short, it will allow you to see where the prospects are for you, where they will be for him and what parts of the metro fit your personality by living it

however, if you did go more central keep in mind that once you clear I-17 you are looking at pretty much a reverse commute going west and the base is fairly easy to get to from either the 101 or I-10 (although both require a fair amount of surface streets and stop lights)

best of luck with your move

Old 01-11-2012, 03:13 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,327 times
Thanks. We are pretty sure we wouldn't want to buy, not in the years coming anyway.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:46 AM

12 posts, read 17,232 times
Glendale and Gilbert are not comparable. Glendale is as far in next to Phoenix as Tempe is, so they are comparable. Gilbert is the same distance out as probably Goodyear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
From the information on the sites below, it appears as if the information you received is in error.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Violent crime is composed of four offenses: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. The US average is 4.
  • Gilbert, AZ, violent crime, on a scale from 1 (low crime) to 10, is 2.
  • Glendale, AZ, violent crime, on a scale from 1 (low crime) to 10, is 6.
Property crime includes the offenses of burglary, larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, and arson. The object of the theft-type offenses is the taking of money or property, but there is no force or threat of force against the victims. The US average is 4.
  • Gilbert, AZ, property crime, on a scale from 1 (low) to 10, is 4.
  • Glendale, AZ, property crime, on a scale from 1 (low) to 10, is 6.

Last edited by Yac; 01-24-2012 at 04:48 AM..

Old 01-16-2012, 10:27 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
The west side only because I am used to it. If I lived on the east side I am sure I would be just as happy.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:41 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,133,332 times
The east and west sides aren't that different. You'll be fine in either.

I wouldn't go central to avoid a possible second move. The valley is so flippin big you will probably want to live near base at first and then near his job. You could go central to avoid that and then have him wind up in North Scottsdale or S/E Mesa, still waaaaayyy long of a commute.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:52 PM

14 posts, read 24,812 times
29 years in the West Valley. Lived on 55th and Butler, 47th and Peoria, and now 35th and T-Bird. For the most part, the West Valley sucks unless you A) travel as far north as you can and/or B) travel as far west as you can. Used to go to downtown Glendale for its many events every year and after attending both one the 3 Christmas events as well as the closing Glitter and Glow festival I decided that would be the last of any voluntary trips there. There are FAR more people there then there was 10 years ago which seems like a great thing but then you actually look around and all I can say is where is SB1070 when we need it?

Right now on 35th and Tbird I have immediate access to a grocery store, plenty of fast food, a discount clothing store, Fry's Electronics, Lowe's, a bowling alley, ASU West, and I-17. I don't really have any issues where I live (there is a *good* side and *bad* side of my complex ironically) but unfortunately the place is too small (this apartment complex has very small 2 bedrooms) and moving into a home in the nearby area starts to back into that realm of poor neighboorhoods and no faith in building equity there.

I'm considering Camelback East as I'd have access to better dining, upscale communities, close proximity to the 51 for East Valley travel, already close to downtown, and close to the West Valley where some of my family currently live.

I find myself having to travel to downtown Phoenix or the East Valley for all local band shows, and most mainstream concerts. Bell Road is the West Valley's claim to fame so if I need to be entertained or fed I'll head up there, but expect lots of traffic if you're going out when everyone else normally does.

Westgate is nice but I have little expectation of growth with the mishandling of that property (the Westgategate Ellman fiasco). Coyotes aren't faring too well and their days in Phoenix are also numbered. Cards have been hit or miss but the stadium does very well, I have no doubt about that; happy to have it in the West Valley but like someone else said earlier, had it not been for 9/11 it wouldn't have even made it over here.

Though if I had to choose from any of the outdoor malls I would pick Tempe Marketplace over Desert Ridge (too many tweens) and Westgate (not near anything else). It's too bad it's by South Scottsdale (which is the garbage side of Scottsdale...and yes I know this as well as my aunt and grandparents pretty much lived there my entire life and that was their opinion as well).

It's not hard to tell which is better if you need a rule of thumb. Which side's median housing prices are the highest?

Also to play Devil's Advocate I also have family in Sunnyslop(e) who live east of Central (do you consider that East Valley) and I certainly wouldn't recommend that area.

North Scottsdale, NWest Tempe, West Chandler, Awatukee, NW Glendale, Camelback East, and possibly Happy Valley (don't buy into that tweaker infestation bull you may hear) as far as I'm concerned are pretty much the only decent areas to live in that don't require obnoxious soul-draining commutes to everything not on Phoenix's fringe borders and still have reasonable access to coveted areas where you don't feel like you have to watch your back.

If 45+ min drives don't bother you or you happen to work in these areas, then as far as I'm concerned, you're good to go: Surprise, East of the 101 but north of Glendale, Anthem, Gilbert.

Last edited by Catastrophy; 01-17-2012 at 06:05 PM..

Old 01-18-2012, 11:35 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,416,101 times
If you live on the West Side, it's a much shorter drive to San Diego, CA, especially if you have good access to the 10!

Old 01-18-2012, 03:42 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
If you live on the West Side, it's a much shorter drive to San Diego, CA, especially if you have good access to the 10!
If you live on the East Side, it's a much easier drive to the Airport which gets you to San Diego or Vegas in 1 hour.

Most people don't know about the shortcut from the Chandler area to San Diego and assume you have to take the 10 to the 8 by Casa Grande. You cut diagonally through Maricopa, Mobile and Gila Bend. I think the drive from Chandler to Gila Bend is about 1 hour, not sure though. Someone in Buckeye or Goodyear can probably get there a little faster, people in Peoria and Glendale, not so much.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:51 PM

6 posts, read 17,946 times
i really only know the east valley but i heard west valley is not so hot and not very good public transit in some parts. east valley seems to have more to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area