Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Believe That Science Can Create Humans?
Yes 21 39.62%
No 15 28.30%
Soon 13 24.53%
Never 4 7.55%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:57 AM

4,458 posts, read 4,192,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Since it would take billions of years make one out of scratch (and you would never be sure what you set out to make would turn into a human) why would anyone try?
Is that a no or never? You do not think they are even trying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 09:59 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
At this time? I can not state such definitively.

Could man at some point in the future? I think so, but I see no ethical grounds for doing such. Why would one seek to "create" humans when we already have the power to do so in normal terms. The only reason I could see someone wishing to do such is if they were to "classify" the created humans as "not human" to apply unethical grounds to them (harvest them for organs, etc...).

Old 07-08-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I feel safe in stating that from the OP's perspective cloning would simply not do. I believe the question requires a human being created out of only base elements.
I do not care how, I just ask if you believe that science either can or can't, will soon or never, by whatever means.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:01 AM

382 posts, read 302,949 times
Quote:
I feel safe in stating that from the OP's perspective cloning would simply not do. I believe the question requires a human being created out of only base elements.
I understand what he means. I am just saying that they have cloned animals and could probably do the same with humans so they shouldn't be to far from creating a human. Personally I don't think they should but eventually it will probably happen.

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
Is that a no or never? You do not think they are even trying?
Publicly and officially? I don't think they are trying.

Privately and secretly, I am sure someone is trying or it is a goal.

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
I don't know. But I do know that science can fertilize an ovum without a male contributing at all!

Old 07-08-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
At this time? I can not state such definitively.

Could man at some point in the future? I think so, but I see no ethical grounds for doing such. Why would one seek to "create" humans when we already have the power to do so in normal terms. The only reason I could see someone wishing to do such is if they were to "classify" the created humans as "not human" to apply unethical grounds to them (harvest them for organs, etc...).
I guess in the search for the perfect human or perhaps a designer child or whatever the reason. I am just asking if it is possible now, or ever whatever the reason.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:08 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,903,410 times
we can't even make sense of what's here, now. Why bother trying to make a better mousetrap ? better to create a new society, and use science for making people healthier. frankly, I have had dreams about a naked tap dancing man with a horsehead. But that's not exactly what we are talking about.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:09 AM

848 posts, read 1,953,426 times
Animal cloning is the precursor and has been accomplished several times with different animals.

What's terribly fascinating in a perfectly cloned animal is the fact there can crop up odd issues, such as demonstrating problems and characteristics of premies, even if carried to full term. The more scientists learn, the more they'll realize they don't know.

Yes, I do believe someday there will be human cloning, but it will originate not with complete individuals but re-growth of body parts lost, such as fingers or teeth. There is a lot of ongoing study about salamanders generating lost limbs with the hopes that information gleaned through those studies will segue into similar advances in human medicine.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
we can't even make sense of what's here, now. Why bother trying to make a better mousetrap ? better to create a new society, and use science for making people healthier. frankly, I have had dreams about a naked tap dancing man with a horsehead. But that's not exactly what we are talking about.
Is that a no, yes, soon. or never?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies