Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 10:39 AM

269 posts, read 710,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn026 View Post
This doesn't add a new tier, it only gets everyone to the 99 week mark until the end of november.
So, If you exhaust your initial 26 weeks prior to Nov. 30th, 2010, you will be able to move on to the EUC tier system and collect all tiers you are eligible for, correct?

Please, let me know if I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 10:44 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,977,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherLeeds13 View Post
The misinformation on the details of this bill that are floating around the internet is mind-boggling. One site said UI checks will only be cut until November 2010; another site claimed COBRA reductions end for "everyone"; and then there is the dueling interpretation of what the extension really "extends"...eligibility to collect on ALL the tiers you would qualify for or just the next available one.
The text of the bill passed by the Senate is available at: Bill Text - 111th Congress (2009-2010) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

But the deadlines are pretty simple:

• EUC Tiers - This legislation extends the eligibility cut-off dates for the EUC Tiers program. These are the last dates that you can start an EUC Tier. They are not the last dates the Tiers benefits will be paid.

The new eligibility cut-off date for the EUC Tiers set by legislation is November 30, 2010. In practice, the states administer the cut-off on the last day of the last full unemployment week before the deadline set by the federal government. So, Sunday, November 21, should be the last day you can move from regular benefits to Tier I; once you are in the Tier program, Sunday, November 28, should be the last day you can move from one Tier to the next.

You are allowed to exhaust any Tier you begin on or before November 28 -- but you cannot start a new tier after that date.

In order to provide sufficient time to collect the longest Tier, the legislation sets a new deadline of April 30 for the expiration of Tier payments. That means that if you qualify for the longest Tier (20 weeks) on the last eligible day (Sunday, November 28), you have enough time to exhaust the Tier. However, it also means that Tier benefits can no longer be paid after April 30 -- even if you have a balance remaining in your account at that time.

• EB - The new legislation reinstates 100% federal funding for EB through December 1, 2010.

Extensions of the EUC Tier eligibility cut-off dates and the 100% federal funding for EB are retroactive to their respective expiration dates at the end of May and early June.

• COBRA premium subsidy - The new legislation does not address the COBRA premium subsidy at all -- which means the previous deadline continues to apply.

Anyone who was involuntarily terminated on or before May 31, 2010, may be eligible for the premium subsidy. If you previously qualified for the subsidy, you continue to be eligible for up to the full 15 months of the subsidy.

If you are involuntarily terminated on June 1, 2010, or later, you are not eligible for the COBRA premium subsidy.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:47 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,977,338 times
Quote:
So, If you exhaust your initial 26 weeks prior to Nov. 30th, 2010, you will be able to move on to the EUC tier system and collect all tiers you are eligible for, correct?

My post just above outlines the cut-off dates. BTW, the eligibility cut-off date for moving from regular benefits to Tier I has always been one week earlier than moving from Tier to Tier once you are in the system.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:13 AM

225 posts, read 546,710 times
I feel if the Feds are willing to pay the EB retroactively all states should be paying it retroactively. It doesn't make sense that the states get to "decide" if that's what they want to do if that's what the money was allocated for in the first place. I'm going to be starting my new job in the middle of August and if Georgia did start it where you left off (when I called a lady said they were paying retro, but who knows cuz half the time they have no idea what they're talking about) I only get 2 weeks of the EB when I would be owed 7. I've been waiting a long time for this money to catch bills up that I'm drowning in and I don't expect my first paycheck until the 1st of September. I hope someone has some insight into Georgia's policy because that GDOL website doesn't say much at all.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:14 AM

24 posts, read 58,983 times
i live in NJ and i have a question regarding collecting unemployment and taking a couple of graduate night courses. i already have an appointment with the UI office next week to discuss this so they can either approve or deny it. i plan on being a part-time or full-time student in the fall. all courses are either online or from 4:30 pm - 7 pm. I will still be looking for full-time and part-time work. the lady at UI said i should have no problem, but they still need to look into it. does anyone here think i will run into an issue if i comply to their demands? thank you

Old 07-22-2010, 12:02 PM

870 posts, read 1,405,423 times
Quote:

Up to the Tier you may reach prior to coming to Nov 30

Old 07-22-2010, 12:17 PM

170 posts, read 330,003 times
House has passed HR4213 272-152 Now on the way to Obama to sign into law.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:19 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,760,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INOMACS View Post
House has passed HR4213 272-152 Now on the way to Obama to sign into law.
Woooohoooo !

Old 07-22-2010, 12:56 PM

42 posts, read 71,207 times
anyone have an idea how long it will take approx. to receive our retro pay?

Old 07-22-2010, 01:59 PM

870 posts, read 1,405,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianpride629 View Post
anyone have an idea how long it will take approx. to receive our retro pay?

you don't have it yet!!!???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies