Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 12:55 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I am only suggesting but do we know what effect the words of Beck will have on the US and possibly they world. It is unfair to give nearly 50 year old words for the effect when the other man spoke only three days ago.

Oh well, you keep swinging that left handed chain.

BTW, too many of those "lies" have been Media Matters twisted before you heard them. I do need examples because I see very few of those things you and MM call lies. I listen to his words and you read the spun words.
I don't pay attention to 'Media Matters'. Nor do I pay attention to 'talking heads'. I've read his transcripts before and found that they aren't interesting.

I will always give MLK more respect than a person like Beck, regardless of how long ago they made their 'speech'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
You admit its not a fair representation and then say its a generalized comparison? Sorry, but those statements don't go together. Unless your talking the generalized best things about one person followed by the generalized worst things of another.

Beck probably made a ton of money on the morning zoo. Its the biggest, or one of, radio station in NY. "Hmm spend 4 years and come out with debt or make bank as an on air personality. Whatever shall I do..."

MLKs greatest education wasn't in the books that he read, it was in the ability to take the average man and put him in the place of another average man who happened to be colored. His legacy isn't as a nobel laureate for science, literature, or art. His legacy is peaceful activism on the street level.
Great. He made a ton of money. I don't automatically respect someone that has a lot of money. I've read a lot of what MLK wrote...have you ever read 'Letters from Burmingham Jail'? Beautiful piece of literature. Conversely, I've also read 'Arguing with Idiots' by Beck. Sorry if I give more credence to one over the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 12:56 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
I have listened to him.

He is insane.

Literally.
I didn't know you were a psychologist along with all the other things but I refuse to accept your words when it is obvious you have heard, over and over, that little performance when he was screaming at that fool on his radio show.

Why don't you just watch his show today, either live or later when they get it on the website I am not allowed to give the url for, and list all the lies or insanities you hear so I can help you judge his sanity? I know why but you won't admit why you won't.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:57 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,300,835 times
Quote:

Rallies for 'honor,' a 'dream'

Rally urges return "to God'

Both crowds invoke King

Beck's Sermon: Restore Values

"Heal this nation"

Beck rally pulls thousands

Rally draws 500,000 to honor heroes, organizers

say

What's wrong with any of these? The only thing that is not factual is the 500,000 figure.

This is what 500,000 people looks like:

And this is what a large crowd with significantly less than 500,000 people looks like:

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/rids/20100828/i/r3187058405.jpg?x=400&y=267&q=85&sig=Htqzh4Zc_GRk5 7xbkye5mw-- (broken link)

Old 08-31-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
What's wrong with any of these? The only thing that is not factual is the 500,000 figure.

And this is what a large crowd with significantly less than 500,000 people looks like:
Yeah, but all of yours are standing in a small area and those in mine are in an area about .8 mile long and many are under the trees on both sides of the reflecting pool. Who knows how many smart people were under those trees? I am sure neither of us does.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:06 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,730 times
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post

I don't know how many people were at the rally - I wasn't there - but you do realize that the scale/magnification of the two photos is not the same right? In fact your two photographs kind of support the idea that the numbers are similar.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I don't pay attention to 'Media Matters'. Nor do I pay attention to 'talking heads'. I've read his transcripts before and found that they aren't interesting.

I will always give MLK more respect than a person like Beck, regardless of how long ago they made their 'speech'.

Great. He made a ton of money. I don't automatically respect someone that has a lot of money. I've read a lot of what MLK wrote...have you ever read 'Letters from Burmingham Jail'? Beautiful piece of literature. Conversely, I've also read 'Arguing with Idiots' by Beck. Sorry if I give more credence to one over the other.
Why don't you try Beck's "Common Sense" where you can also read the other "Common Sense" pamphlet. You may find that one to be as good as I did.

Stop reading his transcripts to the radio show and find some way to see or hear the TV show. I never listen to the radio show unless I am on the road at the proper time of day because I don't care for it or to read its transcripts. I get his daily transcripts to see what he will be talking about that evening on TV. Try it sometime, you might like it.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:12 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,666,314 times
Quote:
Yeah, but all of yours are standing in a small area and those in mine are in an area about .8 mile long and many are under the trees on both sides of the reflecting pool. Who knows how many smart people were under those trees? I am sure neither of us does.
Roy, the only way to prove your point is for you to count the people in both pictures. Use a magnifying glass and a pen. Mark the ones off as you count them. Then get back to us.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:15 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:
Why don't you try Beck's "Common Sense" where you can also read the other "Common Sense" pamphlet. You may find that one to be as good as I did.

Stop reading his transcripts to the radio show and find some way to see or hear the TV show. I never listen to the radio show unless I am on the road at the proper time of day because I don't care for it or to read its transcripts. I get his daily transcripts to see what he will be talking about that evening on TV. Try it sometime, you might like it.
I've seen his tv show. I just can't pay attention to such hysterics, which is why I read the transcripts. Words are much more powerful and meaningful to me than someone fake crying and waving his arms around yelling. I've read transcripts of his tv and radio show. Nothing that profound.

I've also read Beck's 'Common Sense' and didn't find it all that great. I've read Paine's version and found it much more interesting.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:19 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,300,835 times
Quote:
How wide do you think the field is where Woodstock was held? That looks like a "small area" to you?

I know the Beck rally was in a large area, but maybe you noticed the enormous pool in the middle of it. There's nobody in that pool. If the pool area was a lawn, and it too was full of people, then you'd easily have 500,000+.

I'd say Beck's crowd was in the 300,000 range. In most of the close up photos of the crowd, the crowd is spread out rather than shoulder to shoulder like is common at a concert. 300,000 is an impressive number, which anyone would have to admit regardless of political leanings.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:24 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
How many smart people under the trees? None if they were listening to Beck.

Hey, any newspapers show those Galivanting Geese of God flying over...the ones spreading Beck's "message"..all over the ground...????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies