Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 03:47 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
According to Ian Slater, the spokesperson for the Home School Legal Defense Association, the

"The majority of home-schoolers self-identify as evangelical Christians," said Ian Slatter, a spokesman for the Home School Legal Defense Association. "Most home-schoolers will definitely have a sort of creationist component to their home-school program."

"And for most home-school parents, a Bible-based version of the Earth's creation is exactly what they want. Federal statistics from 2007 show 83 percent of home-schooling parents want to give their children "religious or moral instruction."

How does this reflect upon the education level of many Evangelicals?

Top home-school texts dismiss Darwin - U.S. news - Education - msnbc.com
Because they're backwards assed people who don't believe or more to the point don't/can't understand real science like evolution and they're hell bent on churning out another generation of theist zombies to carry the torch.

However, reason and logic will always win this war of attrition despite being slowed and burdened with the dead weight of the superstitious. Science and the progress it brings will move forward. Religion is losing it's utility in light of better explanations for mankind's origins and place in the world and universe at large.

Last edited by Zekester; 09-11-2010 at 04:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 06:45 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,532,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Because they think everything about modern American civilization is "of the devil." Which is why we should elect them to positions of power.
That's a complete falsehood.

Maybe you should educate yourself on the success of home-schooled children in the U.S. and how they are out performing public and private school students in almost every area.
Modern civilization of the devil eh. Most home schooled children were using computer to complete assignments long before they were in the school systems.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:56 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,342,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
That's a complete falsehood.

Maybe you should educate yourself on the success of home-schooled children in the U.S. and how they are out performing public and private school students in almost every area.
Modern civilization of the devil eh. Most home schooled children were using computer to complete assignments long before they were in the school systems.
If you compare like with like, ie, public/private/home schooled students who have the same socio-economic backgrounds, you will find that HS students are not out performing their peers.

I doubt seriously that home schoolers were using computers long before they were in school systems. I was teaching computer programming/education back in the late 70s/early 80s, way before most folks had even heard of a microcomputer.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:14 AM

107 posts, read 151,581 times
I homeschool three boys. I do agree that the vast majority of the homeschooling groups have been evangelical christians. But, I'd like to point out that the homeschooling numbers are increasing exponentially and what I see is a great number of gifted kids/special needs. The schools are failing these kids with the bullying, the education is geared for the middle and no where near robust enough for the gifted.

I have a gifted special needs kid and I'd say that we make up the growing proportion of the homeschooling segment. As to my son scores my oldest is five grade levels to advanced for math for his age level, and two grade levels down english. There's no place in public school for these kids. IEP's aren't worth the wasted ink if there's no follow through.

So, were not all creationist; non evolution. Our numbers are growing, and growing as people get sick of a non-functional system unwilling or unable to foster a true education. Oh, and yes are scores are uniformly something to be proud of. My 12 yr. old scored in the 11th grade in math, and in homeschooling groups even that's slow. Can't wait to see what these kids will offer to society in the years to come, but I have high hopes.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
If you compare like with like, ie, public/private/home schooled students who have the same socio-economic backgrounds, you will find that HS students are not out performing their peers.

I doubt seriously that home schoolers were using computers long before they were in school systems. I was teaching computer programming/education back in the late 70s/early 80s, way before most folks had even heard of a microcomputer.
You are free to doubt ray1945!!!

And I never stated that every public school in the U.S didnt have computers but you can certainly reserach for yourself to prove that the great majority of schools in the 70s and 80's did not have computers!!!!!

I'm happy for your school if they had them back then but that would have definitely been the exception rather than the norm!

Old 09-12-2010, 10:22 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,783,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Probably because homeschooling is something that began recently and is beginning to take hold in many places. There probably aren't that many home schooled adults in the country in relation to population percentage.

As for your original question, well, when you have public school teachers openly insulting students in class for their Christian beliefs, why shouldn't parents take their kids out of public school?

Exactly! I attended public schools all of my life and enjoyed it very much. That being said, I have 2 neices and 5 cousins that are or were home schooled. My cousins(my neices are too young at this point) tested much higher than the rest of our family on the SAT and ACT and are on pace to out do their family counterparts in areas of career choice's and over all stability within our society. Again, I am glad I attended my public school, but who knows; maybe I would have been a little smarter about my decisions in life had I been home schooled....

Old 09-12-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
Exactly! I attended public schools all of my life and enjoyed it very much. That being said, I have 2 neices and 5 cousins that are or were home schooled. My cousins(my neices are too young at this point) tested much higher than the rest of our family on the SAT and ACT and are on pace to out do their family counterparts in areas of career choice's and over all stability within our society. Again, I am glad I attended my public school, but who knows; maybe I would have been a little smarter about my decisions in life had I been home schooled....
Exactly. Many public schools have to teach to the slowest student or are teaching to the test.

A great percentage of the best and brightest are coming out of home schooling whether they are religious based or secular.

Even the TV show Jeopardy is reflecting this trend! I was watching the High School and College tournament the other day and so many of the participants stated they were home schooled.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:35 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
most 'home-schoolers' that are here on long island have nothing to do with 'evangelicals', but to due with the safety of the students. most home schoolers are from the impovershed neighborhoods

Old 09-12-2010, 10:42 AM

783 posts, read 815,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001 View Post
Them public schools be corrupting our youth. They don't teach them stuff like angels existing and Noah's ark being true and stuff. Public schools teach blasphemy like evolution, gravity, and the heliocentric theory. Plus they don't allow a good whooping once in a while.
Well said.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:43 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,342,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
You are free to doubt ray1945!!!

And I never stated that every public school in the U.S didnt have computers but you can certainly reserach for yourself to prove that the great majority of schools in the 70s and 80's did not have computers!!!!!

I'm happy for your school if they had them back then but that would have definitely been the exception rather than the norm!
You stated, "Most home schooled children were using computer to complete assignments long before they were in the school systems." Perhaps you can back up that assertion with some facts?

I worked for a large urban district, and, yes, we were ahead of the curve at my school. But, by the mid-80s, all the secondary schools in my district had computer labs and were teaching computer classes. All elementary schools had at least a few computers for student use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies