Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:51 PM

767 posts, read 489,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
you dont know nothing,I made nothing up. I never said anyone was forced to take anything,I said my daughter was diagnosed Mr cant master reading comprehention.go have another drink Mr physician
Have a budweiser beer, you'll be honoring the victims of 9/11, at least that's what their ad campaign suggests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 11:51 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001 View Post
I doubt teachers or administrators can prescribe medications. My understanding is that only physicians can. I doubt the school had an on staff MD, although I could be wrong.
Our school district has educational psychologists available, but they generally are brought in for counselling or behavior modification type issues. I don't know of any school districts with MD's that would prescribe for students. That would be a whole convoluted mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Agreed and even the pediatrician or psychologist can't force the child to take those medications. They can only make a recommendation. It would require the parent's consent.

AND...even if the parent's want their 9 yo daughter to take Ritalin for example, if the pediatrician determines the child understands the risks and benefits and has made an informed decision to refuse the medication, the parents can't force the child to take the Ritalin.

So when Parfleche makes outrageous claims saying a school forced his child to take drugs, he is FOS
Exactly. And drugs would be an absolute last resort anyway I would think. Our school district has a Psychology Department for kids that need them. I have added the link, don't see prescription drugs in their list of services.

CCSD Psychological Services

Old 09-08-2010, 11:52 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times
Quote:
you dont know nothing,I made nothing up. I never said anyone was forced to take anything,I said my daughter was diagnosed Mr cant master reading comprehention.go have another drink Mr physician
You are backtracking knowing you can't refute my statement. So first the public schools forced your daughter to take drugs and now you are saying they didn't. Nice...anything else you care to lie about?....like your homeschooling background LOL

Old 09-08-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Furthermore, most psychiatrists don't just start children on these medications as first line. They usually prefer behavior modification first.
Allow me to play devil's advocate. Is it not possible that the school administration, teachers, social workers, can locate a quack and pressure him to put the kids on meds, particularly if the kid is giving them serious problems.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:01 AM

7,788 posts, read 8,034,504 times
Quote:
You are backtracking knowing you can't refute my statement. So first the public schools forced your daughter to take drugs and now you are saying they didn't. Nice...anything else you care to lie about?....like your homeschooling background LOL
when did I say the public schools forced my daughter to take drugs? quote the post liar.I said she was diagnosed and I pulled her out and put her in a charter school

Old 09-09-2010, 12:03 AM

7,788 posts, read 8,034,504 times
Quote:
Have a budweiser beer, you'll be honoring the victims of 9/11, at least that's what their ad campaign suggests.
you must have meant to quote azriverfan not me

Old 09-09-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Allow me to play devil's advocate. Is it not possible that the school administration, teachers, social workers, can locate a quack and pressure him to put the kids on meds, particularly if the kid is giving them serious problems.
No, absolutely not! It's ultimately the parents' decision. Even if a quack says "You're kid needs to be on Ritalin" The parents and/or patient can refuse.

It's usually the opposite. Parents will often present to psychiatrists or primary care physicians asking for ADD drugs like Concerta, Ritalin and Adderall . If the physician refuses, the parents will keep seeking one that will agree to their demands. Many parents think these pills will magically cure their child's behavior.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
when did I say the public schools forced my daughter to take drugs? quote the post liar.I said she was diagnosed and I pulled her out and put her in a charter school
You stated that parents have no control and your daughter would still be on drugs if she were in a public school. What is one to infer from this comment?

Quote:
I immediately pulled her out of public school and into private school.no stupid drugs .... parents need to take back control. without me my daughter would have been and still be on drugs because of the lazy drug em gov school system

Old 09-09-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
No, absolutely not! It's ultimately the parents' decision. Even if a quack says "You're kid needs to be on Ritalin" The parents and/or patient can refuse.
In a perfect world perhaps. Plenty of parents are ignorant when it comes to psychiatric disorders and treatment. Furthermore, plenty of people, parents included, take the medical advice of physicians as gospel.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
You were asked if you were the parent of the child at the time because you would have been required to give consent for your child to take the medication. This is how you responded implying the school forced your child to take the medication.

"you obviously have not had a young child in the public school system recently with an impatient tenured teacher.It happens every day this ads crap. my oldest daughter is a school teacher in Wyoming so I know. My youngest daughter works at a juvenile jail and deals with it to, let's just say I'm surrounded by it. we are a country on drugs. maybe that's our problem, big pharmacy has all the answers with gov backing and financing"

Then when I stated that a school cannot force a child to take certain medication, this is how you responded going as far as implying your RN ex-wife was forcing drugs on students.

"think what you will, we went pretty far down the road before I pulled her out. I was newly divorced with costody my ex is a progressive RN letting it happen and even sued me for 50% costody which I won. all that had a bad effect on daughter and she became a real problem even violent which mushrumed into the school and police being involved. I dont know why I need to explain this to anyone. we are now like 2 peas in a pod with no drugs good grief"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies