Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 12:32 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
I pulled her out and will not guess what the final outcome would have been had I not as a parent made my decesion. You can re read this thread all nite for all I care I was being set up for fail for quite a while.the posters most vocal could care less about the topic, they only sensed a missing plate in my armor and went in for the kill.God bless em at least they feel some purpose in life. If you dont have it in you to share and contribute attack
That's not fair, and not true. You stated that the public school failed your daughter. What you failed to add was there was a lot of stuff going on at home, and your daughter was in a bad place. I'm sure you did the right thing changing schools if that worked out for the best for her, but the failure was not entirely the public school system was it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 12:35 AM

767 posts, read 489,867 times
Quote:
I pulled her out and will not guess what the final outcome would have been had I not as a parent made my decesion. You can re read this thread all nite for all I care I was being set up for fail for quite a while.the posters most vocal could care less about the topic, they only sensed a missing plate in my armor and went in for the kill.God bless em at least they feel some purpose in life. If you dont have it in you to share and contribute attack
The only problem posters on here have with your inference that public schools force students to take medications.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:36 AM

7,788 posts, read 8,034,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
That's not fair, and not true. You stated that the public school failed your daughter. What you failed to add was there was a lot of stuff going on at home, and your daughter was in a bad place. I'm sure you did the right thing changing schools if that worked out for the best for her, but the failure was not entirely the public school system was it?
No I didnt allow that.I won

Old 09-09-2010, 12:38 AM

767 posts, read 489,867 times
Quote:
No I didnt allow that.I won
Who lost? When you make statements like that you make it seem as though the public schools agenda is to hurt the students.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:43 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post

What about being forced to take Gardasil shots? I've heard several states mandate Gardasil shots
The Gardasil shot is recommended for women between the ages of 9 to 26. No state has required or mandated that females get the Gardasil shot. They can recommend it but recommending and forcing are two entirely different issues. The same rules apply. It would require parental or patient consent. If the patient is a minor and is deemed competent by the physician and refuses to take it, no parent or school system can force her to take it.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:46 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The Gardasil shot is recommended for women between the ages of 9 to 26. No state has required or mandated that females get the Gardasil shot. They can recommend it but recommending and forcing are two entirely different issues. The same rules apply. It would require parental or patient consent. If the patient is a minor and is deemed competent by the physician and refuses to take it, no parent or school system can force her to take it.
I was wondering that because I've heard on the news some time ago that Rick Perry issued an executive order mandating young girls take the shot. I don't know what became of that though

Old 09-09-2010, 12:48 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,292,489 times
Because they think everything about modern American civilization is "of the devil." Which is why we should elect them to positions of power.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:00 AM

646 posts, read 394,234 times
government schools are the biggest failure of mankind.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:01 AM

7,788 posts, read 8,034,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001 View Post
Who lost? When you make statements like that you make it seem as though the public schools agenda is to hurt the students.
no I never meant that . my oldest daughter had wanted to be a teacher since she was 9 years old and got her dream and goes above and beyond for her kids. my sister teaches in inner city schools in NY even though she lives on LI and could teach there. in her words in the rich areas i do what they tell me to do , in the city I do what I think needs to be done with a free hand. that means helping kids and encouriging that means going against the system at times when they want to write some kids off as failures. neither belongs to the freakin union. But we have to many kids out there who do not have the blessing of good teachers and parents who care and wind up on prescribed drugs to shut them up .I posted to help to enlighten with my own experience . if I wanted to get bashed I'd go to pirate 4x4 and brag about my jeep

Old 09-09-2010, 09:20 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
According to Ian Slater, the spokesperson for the Home School Legal Defense Association, the

"The majority of home-schoolers self-identify as evangelical Christians," said Ian Slatter, a spokesman for the Home School Legal Defense Association. "Most home-schoolers will definitely have a sort of creationist component to their home-school program."

"And for most home-school parents, a Bible-based version of the Earth's creation is exactly what they want. Federal statistics from 2007 show 83 percent of home-schooling parents want to give their children "religious or moral instruction."

How does this reflect upon the education level of many Evangelicals?

Top home-school texts dismiss Darwin - U.S. news - Education - msnbc.com
I don't know that it does reflect on the education level. Home-schooled children seem to do very well on all of the required standardized tests, etc.

I think that the emphasis on creationism, etc. is relatively recent and I wonder about the eventual impact - I attended a parochial school, albeit forty-some odd years ago, and there were very clear divisions between religious education and secular education. The creation story was never taught outside of religion classes.
For whatever reason, there was much less of a fear then that 'outside influences' would corrupt or derail our dedication to our faith. This constant fear of 'worldly' influences is one of the things I have the hardest time relating to - if one is firm in one's faith, how can anything you see on TV, at the movies, etc. change that? But I digress.
Every parent has to do what they consider the right thing for their child. However, I do wonder how these children react when they do move out into the world, to university and beyond, and are confronted with challenges to their belief systems. I imagine that for some, it could be a life-altering event, and one they may be ill-prepared to handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies