Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:39 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
That is irrespective of the type of school. NO SCHOOL can force children to take attention deficit medication. It's simply not legal.
And in fact I know that no employee at our local public school can recommend medication, all they can do is recommend the child be evaluated for their learning impairment if all avenues are exhausted within the school. That evaluation is done outside the public school system usually by a pediatrician or an educational psychologist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 11:40 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
think what you will, we went pretty far down the road before I pulled her out. I was newly divorced with costody my ex is a progressive RN letting it happen and even sued me for 50% costody which I won. all that had a bad effect on daughter and she became a real problem even violent which mushrumed into the school and police being involved. I dont know why I need to explain this to anyone. we are now like 2 peas in a pod with no drugs good grief
I'm a physician. I know the medico-legal information surrounding patient competency and rights. You made this up. No school would force a child to take medication. They simply don't have the authority. And I dare you to find a source that contradicts me. You won't find one

Old 09-08-2010, 11:40 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,963,301 times
With regard to homosexuality it is not indoctrination. What they are teaching is not to bully someone because of their differences. If someone had a drug problem or an alcohol problem in school do you teach your kids to bully and harass them? The same rule applies to gay children. If you know they are gay. Don't bully them. Move on. And let it go. If you don't agree with gay marriage then that is your business. If you are a devoted Christian that is your business. Nobody wants to take it away. And nobody is testing you on whether or not you believe homosexuality is fine and dandy. Are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Because most home schooling parents disagree with the teachings of public schools. Public Schools teach evolution, acceptance of homosexuality as normal behavior, and much else that is not acceptable to a believing Christian. They don't want their children indoctrinated with those teachings. They are willing to pay the price in time and money to teach their children what they believe as followers of God.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:42 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,963,301 times
They can force a psychiatric evaluation and force the student to comply with it.

Quote:
I'm a physician. I know the medico-legal information surrounding patient competency and rights. You made this up. No school would force a child to take medication. They simply don't have the authority. And I dare you to find a source that contradicts me. You won't find one

Old 09-08-2010, 11:42 PM

767 posts, read 489,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
And in fact I know that no employee at our local public school can recommend medication, all they can do is recommend the child be evaluated for their learning impairment if all avenues are exhausted within the school. That evaluation is done outside the public school system usually by a pediatrician or an educational psychologist.
I doubt teachers or administrators can prescribe medications. My understanding is that only physicians can. I doubt the school had an on staff MD, although I could be wrong.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:43 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,034,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001 View Post
Sounds like the issue you have should be with your ex and not the school.
how would you know,my ex was insane. hell I'm a single Dad and got costody of my daughters. enough personal stuff stranger

Old 09-08-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Agreed and even the pediatrician or psychologist can't force the child to take those medications. They can only make a recommendation. It would require the parent's consent.

AND...even if the parent's want their 9 yo daughter to take Ritalin for example, if the pediatrician determines the child understands the risks and benefits and has made an informed decision to refuse the medication, the parents can't force the child to take the Ritalin.

So when Parfleche makes outrageous claims saying a school forced his child to take drugs, he is FOS

Old 09-08-2010, 11:44 PM

767 posts, read 489,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
They can force a psychiatric evaluation and force the student to comply with it.
An evaluation is not the same as medication management. An evaluation is just that, an evaluation. I can have an evaluation and comply with it, doesn't mean I'll be prescribed anything.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:49 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,034,504 times
Quote:
you dont know nothing,I made nothing up. I never said anyone was forced to take anything,I said my daughter was diagnosed Mr cant master reading comprehention.go have another drink Mr physician

Old 09-08-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
They can force an evaluation to determine if the child has a learning disability such as ADD or dyslexia but they can't force the child to take medication such as Ritalin. At the minimum, it would require the parent(s) consent. Furthermore, most psychiatrists don't just start children on these medications as first line. They usually prefer behavior modification first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies